Loose Rod or Wrist Pin?

98cobrasaleen

Established Member
I have my 98 at the tuner having the old factory Vortec set up upgraded to a modern set up with new in tank fuel pump, injectors, MAF and tune. When he rolled it up on the Dyno today he said that at about 2000 rpm he could hear something that sounded like a loose bearing or wrist pin and was afraid to pull it for tuning. The car has 70k on it. He told me that it's not unheard of for the #8 bearing to have issues on higher mileage engines. I ask you guys if this is something known to the group? I'll trust him to go ahead and rebuild because he is one of the best guys in the southeast and comes highly recommended. Is there other things that could possibly be the issue that would preclude a total tear down? No matter what, it'll get fixed, just doing a dummy check here. Thanks! David

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Any videos of it? My upper idler pulley used to tick at higher throttle openings but around 2k rpm. I figured mine was a totally random occurance so its doubtful its that but may be something to check.

Also, i now have 168k miles on my motor and nothing but an occasional pinging here at full throttle.

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's a major problem like that, it's going to have metal in the oil. And it's going to be LOUD. Like marbles in a can. Some motors are just noisy until she warms up and everything expands.

Users who are viewing this thread