Loose clutch cable???

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
When i have hte car running and i DO NOT have the clutch pressed in there is a constant ringing, when i press the clutch in it goes away......is this just a loose clutch cable or signs of worse :??: if it is the loose clutch cable is it an easy fix? i have very very very little mechanical experience, i do have tools, i installed my x pipe and catback, and thats the deepest experience ive had on the car, so hopefully this doesn't turn into something out of my reach :bored:

busakiller

Established Member
sounds like a throw out bearing. you dont have to pull the trans COMPLETLY out of the car, but you do have to unbolt it from the motor and move it back 3 or 4 inches to remove the bearing. this is how i do it when just replacing a throw out bearing...

if you want to check the clutch cable, just remove the cover on the driver side of the trans and inspect with a flash light.

Last edited:

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Probably your throw-out bearing,a transmission shop can analyze the noise. If you don't know a reputable shop,try a Ford dealer.

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
how much would installation on a throw out bearing cost set me back, and if i put this off could this possibly put any additional wear on the clutch?

busakiller

Established Member
how much would installation on a throw out bearing cost set me back, and if i put this off could this possibly put any additional wear on the clutch?

i get paid 3 hours on just a throw out bearing. not sure what the dealer would charge. its a cheap part, but alot of labor.

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
its been squeeling for about 3 months i get the feeling this is bad that its gone on this long and i haven't done anything about it, i guess thats what i get for assuming it was a loose clutch cable and no big deal, hopefully theres no serious damage, the tranny still feels fine and clutch isn't slipping in the least so i think im in the clera for now ill just go ahead and get the TOB and the sleeve from lethal performance too

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If you wait long enough you will probably be installing a guide tube also. As the TOB begins to fail, it puts much more stress on the guide tube and the OEM piece is not that strong to begin with.

FVChopper

SVTP
Established Member
im not sure if i have an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster, i know its an aftermarket clutch but i bought it with it on there and haven't had any problems with it and ive only done a couple bolt ons since i got the car so ive never worried about it, can i check both these items without jacking the car up?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Yes, both can be checked without jacking up the car. The FW adjuster is under the hood, next to the brake booster and the quadrant is on the top of the clutch pedal. Check some vendors for pictures of what they look like so you know what you are looking for.
I don't think any aftermarket clutch should be installed with out these two pieces being installed at the same time. The factory linkage just doesn't allow for precise enough adjustment to make them function the way they were designed to work.

Users who are viewing this thread