Looks like my SRT-10 may need a new motor

UtOhCop

Established Member
I'm getting a whine from the engine at Idle that only gets louder as engine rpm's increase. Guy over at the SRT forums had the same thing and then the engine went. Diagnosed it as a pressure relief valve failure causing the lifters to stick open. I've had the truck for 2 days and put a total of 8 miles on her.

I'm praying it's something minor but i wouldn't mind a new motor. :-D

blown88gt

Established Member
I would be ill a new motor after 8 miles. No way I would want a refund no matter who made the vehicle.

Hope it is something minor or if it is the engine that everuthing goes ok goes ya

UtOhCop

Established Member
blown88gt said:
I would be ill a new motor after 8 miles. No way I would want a refund no matter who made the vehicle.

Hope it is something minor or if it is the engine that everuthing goes ok goes ya

The car was used so i can probably thank the former owner for beating on it.

I just went out and check it again. No squeak during idle. Only squeak's when i get on the gas. Thinking it's a bad pulley now. Oil pressure was constant at 75psi during cold startup and 65-70psi at idle when warmed. I'm not really worried anymore.

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
Did you buy from an individual or a lot?

If from a lot, I would check into my states lemon law.

UtOhCop

Established Member
I believe i have figured it out. The Crank pulley bolt in the 04/05's had been incorrectly torqued and may have come loose. Squeaking is one of the signs. I just went outside and tried to check it but my gorilla hands cannot get to it. Going to get it on Ramps tomorrow and see if the bolt is loose.

The Powertrain is under warranty till 2011 so i'm not worried if it's not it.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
im sure you can get whatever it is replaced and you'll be enjoying your sweet truck soon enough.

03CobraBro

Established Member
It shouldnt be a big deal to replace the motor in it. The Viper engine in those rams almost looks like a crate motor sitting in it. Either way I hope everything works out for you. I couldnt imagine how dissapointed I'd be if I had just bought my Cobra and had to deal with that crap with 8 miles on it.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Man I thought you meant the trck only had 8 miles on it! Oh well that still sucks. Hope everything goes well.

blown88gt said:

What?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
Yeah, shame they can't learn from the other automakers. You know, the ones that never, ever produce a single flawed vehicle.

Scoriox Cars, Ltd?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
UtOhCop said:
I believe i have figured it out. The Crank pulley bolt in the 04/05's had been incorrectly torqued and may have come loose. Squeaking is one of the signs. I just went outside and tried to check it but my gorilla hands cannot get to it. Going to get it on Ramps tomorrow and see if the bolt is loose.

The Powertrain is under warranty till 2011 so i'm not worried if it's not it.

This has happened on a few 05 Vipers, that is something the dealer is supposed to check before the car is sold.

Users who are viewing this thread