Looking to trade 21’ zl1 on a 22’ gt500 looking for feedback

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Hi all, been in a 21’ zl1 for almost 3 years now. Looking for a change. Wanted a gt500 from the start but they were ask going for 20k over msrp in my area 3 years ago. Anyone make the move from a zl1? Looks like the 500 responds a lot better to basic mods. Would love to hear your feedback

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i have looked at them recently as they seem to have finally come back to earth pricing wise…i just don’t know if i will enjoy the DCT in my “fun car”. I’m a mustang person at heart, but the 6spd ZLE would be HARD to replace from a bang for buck, fun, and holy shit the sound standpoint.

i do kinda feel like it ends up a wash as the ZL1 is way cheaper on the front end, but any meaningful power increases will be 20k to have it done(i got lucky here with a dad that could assist and teach). whereas the gt500 is a higher entry fee, but to get 800-1000 wheel can be done what looks like pretty easily in comparison.

i probably helped you zero but in case you’re wondering…

I want a Brittany blue no stripe CFTP…”hops off soapbox”

ssyellow

Established Member
I had a 2018 manual ZL1 (non 1LE) as my last "fun" car a few years ago, now have a 2021 GT500 (base) as of two months ago. Overall the GT500 is an amazing car, although from an engagement standpoint I miss the manual and almost bought another ZL1 for that reason. Above said, definitely happy with the GT500.

Sound: Exhaust is immensely better on the GT500 (subjective)

Handling: I'd have to give the edge with the ZL1, GM did a fantastic job on the handling dynamics for that chassis, not to mention its ~300-400 pounds lighter. The GT500 is quite compliant for what it is suspension wise, but I do feel from a ride perspective in the softest setting (ZL1: Tour / GT500: Normal) the ZL1 was softer if that matters any.

Interior: I'd give the edge with the ZL1 from a build quality standpoint, livability 100% goes to the GT500 (visibility, trunk space, etc.). I had a 2015 GT and drove it 90K miles, it's a good "daily" if you want some useability.

Power: Goes without saying the GT500 has this covered, to come close with a ZL1 you'd need a decent amount of modifications. GT500 also makes power extremely easy with modifications.

Fuel economy: Not that you buy a car like this for gas mileage, but Christ on a bike is the GT500 a thirsty vehicle. You'll be lucky to get 12 MPG cruising around, whereas my ZL1 got 17-19 MPG with many pulls between.

IMG_1797.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread