Looking to start tuning

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
Like the title says, im trying to start doing my own tuning. I've searched online but I guess I feel more comfortable asking here with SCT and SVT owners. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here but I think i'm just using the wrong keywords. If you can link the thread, or threads, in a comment that would be greatly appreciated. or if you have any suggestions you might want to add, please post. I'm open to all suggestions so I can start learning. Thank you in advance for anything you might have to offer.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
I preach this all the time to people - tune it yourself! It is not brain surgery and once you 'get it' you will be forever free of dynotune costs. We train a lot of new SCT Dealers and one thing I know for sure is 99% of the tuners out there are average intelligence. Many people seem to perpetuate the myth that that tuning is a secret arcane art - it's not. On a mechanically sound car it's not too difficult and with a bit of reading and applying yourself, it will come easy. You will not blow up your motor unless you do something really, really stupid.

One thing to remember is all the top tuners out there started with one car, usually, their own. That's how they learned and became great tuners. You may be overhwelmed with the number of parameters when you first see the software, but relax because you only have to mess with a low percentage of them. Be sure to get all the reference material you can get your hands on. Get any self tuning setup from someone that will provide a base tune so you have a starting point and a file you can study.

IMHO, the SCT Pro Racer package is the best available tuning system for anyone.

Don LaSota

Zemedici

Established Member
I preach this all the time to people - tune it yourself! It is not brain surgery and once you 'get it' you will be forever free of dynotune costs. We train a lot of new SCT Dealers and one thing I know for sure is 99% of the tuners out there are average intelligence. Many people seem to perpetuate the myth that that tuning is a secret arcane art - it's not. On a mechanically sound car it's not too difficult and with a bit of reading and applying yourself, it will come easy. You will not blow up your motor unless you do something really, really stupid.

One thing to remember is all the top tuners out there started with one car, usually, their own. That's how they learned and became great tuners. You may be overhwelmed with the number of parameters when you first see the software, but relax because you only have to mess with a low percentage of them. Be sure to get all the reference material you can get your hands on. Get any self tuning setup from someone that will provide a base tune so you have a starting point and a file you can study.

IMHO, the SCT Pro Racer package is the best available tuning system for anyone.

Don LaSota

Excellent advice, mr LaSota! :beer:

cj428mach

Established Member
Excellent advice, mr LaSota! :beer:

Buy the Pro Racer Package from Don. I bought the tuning manual, the dvd, and PRP from Don that included a base tune for my car. I'm tuning my car and so far its been pretty straight forward (I have self tuned my street rod with a quarterhorse and BE, but its a lot more forgiving being that its an NA motor and not making tons of power.) Don has also been very helpful with tips and suggestions after the sale. Do it I don't think you'll regret it. So far I've changed my MAF sensor, and went return fuel system on my car since getting started with Don's PRP kit a few months ago. I love the ability to get changes done on my time schedule not my tuners.... I'm a former Amazon customer.

Zemedici

Established Member
Buy the Pro Racer Package from Don. I bought the tuning manual, the dvd, and PRP from Don that included a base tune for my car. I'm tuning my car and so far its been pretty straight forward (I have self tuned my street rod with a quarterhorse and BE, but its a lot more forgiving being that its an NA motor and not making tons of power.) Don has also been very helpful with tips and suggestions after the sale. Do it I don't think you'll regret it. So far I've changed my MAF sensor, and went return fuel system on my car since getting started with Don's PRP kit a few months ago. I love the ability to get changes done on my time schedule not my tuners.... I'm a former Amazon customer.

I'm going to be purchasing the package in the next month or so. thank you sir!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been tuning my car for a few years. Probably the best mod money I've spent so far. No one will take the time to tune your car like you will. And you will learn so much more. My trouble shooting skilles increased because of what I learned tuning.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
depending upon your situation I would be seriously looking at what HP Tuners is coming with as well, Eric is saying there could be support for us by the end of the year if things go well.

watman02

Established Member
depending upon your situation I would be seriously looking at what HP Tuners is coming with as well, Eric is saying there could be support for us by the end of the year if things go well.

i have both and Don Lasota is a great resource for the site and VERY helpful. but i would have to give the better system to HPtuners great support and ability to change things on the fly reather than having to stop and reflash the car is a great and helpful tool!!!!
BE/QH do this as well however they are inferior in my opinon as i just got done tuning a 331 vortec Fox with BE/QH. all i can say is wow i love SCT/HP Tuners compared to BE/QH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don 95Vert

Established Member
HP Tuners is also terrific. They currently support 2005-2010 and soon will support 2011+. Earlier support is waiting the wings too after that. Eric is doing a great job with all that - it is a TON of work.
Don LaSota

FordEvangelist

Established Member
Like the title says, im trying to start doing my own tuning. I've searched online but I guess I feel more comfortable asking here with SCT and SVT owners. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here but I think i'm just using the wrong keywords. If you can link the thread, or threads, in a comment that would be greatly appreciated. or if you have any suggestions you might want to add, please post. I'm open to all suggestions so I can start learning. Thank you in advance for anything you might have to offer.

I've been tuning my own for several years. Once you figure it out, it makes it all worthwhile. Definitely buy Don's manual on tuning. It's very helpful. Other than that, research, research, and research. Don't get ahead of yourself, take it slow, double check everything, and when you make mistakes, make them real small :)

BlkVnm512

Smitty's is better
Established Member
I'm working on ordering the book, DVD and software. So hopefully I'll have my foot in the door soon. I also saw that SCT now offers online sessions, so might take those too. I want to soak up all the information I can that way when I get my new motor built I can tune it myself. I used to work at Lethal Performance (in TEXAS, not Florida) and I became great friends with the tuner there, so hopefully I can have a mentor to watch over me and double check me every step of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread