Looking to Quiet the non-Catted Stock Mufflers

SuperG

Established Member
Well, I have done it before and wow do I get a headache, but I am getting ready to drive for nearly 20 hours and I need to quiet down the exhaust note.

I don't have any of the 4 catalytic converters in the car, stock mufflers, and an x-pipe.

Here are a couple pairs of cats I am looking at...any advice on them or others would greatly be appreciated!

SLP High Flow Catalytic Converter Kit (96-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
Pypes High Flow Ceramic Catalytic Converter Kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
And you think thats loud?? Try longtubes, o/r x and a straight thru muffler like borlas, magnapacks, or SLP's..

SuperG

Established Member
Oh 20 hours isn't so bad...no passengers so my music, snacks, drinks, and A/C with no arguements...and the seats are pretty comfortable.

Blown By You, your car is an inspiration!

Anyhoo...still looking for a recommendation...

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
i don't recommend driving a cobra for 20 hours. that would be uncomfortable.

Actually, I can't stand doing long trips NOT in my Cobra. Everyone always has something to say about how comfortable the seats are, and I realized how I am spoiled with the Cobra when I go and sit in someone else's car for a long period of time and will get uncomfortable pretty quickly.

And you think thats loud?? Try longtubes, o/r x and a straight thru muffler like borlas, magnapacks, or SLP's..

Try having cams, a hole in your muffler, and a gutted interior..sounds like I'm in a race car.

LDC2335

Established Member
i think a straight through muffler like a borla or magnaflow would be quieter than the stockers, and definitely have less drone... stockers are chambered which tend to drone

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Actually, I can't stand doing long trips NOT in my Cobra. Everyone always has something to say about how comfortable the seats are, and I realized how I am spoiled with the Cobra when I go and sit in someone else's car for a long period of time and will get uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Try having cams, a hole in your muffler, and a gutted interior..sounds like I'm in a race car.

what seats are in your car, cuz the stock seats suck for comfort

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
my bullitt seats are super comfortable but i travel with my job and driving 20 hours on my off day would suck.

SuperG

Established Member
First, I have stock seats...man, those things are comfortable, I don't care what anyone says! Second, I've been thinking about replacing the mufflers with Magnaflow (had them on my 03 Cobra and loved them). Third, really, I am looking to see if anyone has added a pair of catalytic converters and noticed a sizeable decrease in sound levels. Finally, next time I rip out the interior of my car, I will add sound deadening material, depending on the "new" noise level.

Thanks guys!!

My94GT

Established Member

run dumps with a good size cam and a blower :rockon: its pretty loud in my car

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i liked my stock seats but my bullitts keep me firmly planted in the seat. i looked into sound deadening when i had my interior ripped out but it's pretty expensive and it's actually not that loud inside my car.

Users who are viewing this thread