Looking to install a hitch, need info.

Darkshadows

New tq abuser
Established Member
Im looking to install a hitch on my 04 gt so that I can get a little trailer to haul tires around. So for those of you that have done it before what was needed for the wiring? If you could let me know how, or if there is a kit for it that would be greatly appreaciated.
thanks,
Nathan

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Do a search over in the "Track Forum". There has been a thread on two on there about trailers and hitches.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
What's the reason they say it can't be used on 03/04 Cobras? Is it an IRS issue or a bumper cover issue? I've got a Mach, but I have an IRS and I'd like a hitch myself...

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
It is about the 03 cobra bumper cover. I used a GT bar and spaced it off by about .75" so the receiver would come just below the cover. I've had it on for two seasons.

TowRig.gif

NJ 03Mach1

Established Member
Thanks! What trailer is that? I searched on here and found some links to sites, but the one's I've found so far are big $. I'm looking for something like yours, simple but functional.

TroyV

Established Member
I lucked out. I picked this one up used. It is one of only two made. My guess is that the builder lost his shirt on them and found out fast that he didn't want to continue making them.

I would recommend a generic utility trailer from harbor freight, then outfit it with a box and a tire rack.

TroyV

Established Member
I considered one of those, but I had reservations about pulling a tire trailer with wheels that small for 1200 mile round trips. Fully loaded, my trailer fits my tires, easy up, all my tools, spares, four gas cans, and full size cooler, and a bag with three days of clothing. Loaded, I estimated the trailer weight at around 450 pounds. I can still lift and maneuver it with fair to moderate arm strength so I would put the tongue weight somewhere around 65 pounds give or take. It is very well balanced, and it really smooths the car out on the highway.

gregscott

Established Member
Troy lucked out on the trailer he has, it is well thought out and accomadates everything you would ever need to take to an autocross or open track. Like he wrote you won't find another like it.
Greg

jking32

Established Member
03 and 04 Cobra's have a curved rear bumper. All the other Mustang's I have checked have straight rear bumpers. There are plenty of companies who make them for regular mustangs. There is nobody who makes them for 03 and 04 Cobra's. Custom is the only real option.

Gastrader1

Established Member
Troy I am pretty sure that your trailer weighs about 350 lbs. empty. If the guy who build those trailers has not changed his phone number, I am sure he would build more of them. However, they will not be cheap. My guess is in the $1500 range. The guy who designed that trailer of your did a pretty good job. Not only did he build the trailer but he also fabricated the hitch and installed it on my 03 Cobra and wired the trailer lights too.
Brian:beer:

TroyV

Established Member
I love this trailer. It's worth more to me than the car is.. :)

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
Here is my old set-up. Loved it, but sold it when I sold the Mystic. I had the same hitch installed on my 01 cobra, 03 cobra, and 96 mystic. Like Troy said earlier, it is just the gt hitch and plug and play wiring, and I just added spacers to clear the 03 bumper. Worked perfect. As for the trailer, mine was a $150 Harbor Freight utility trailer, with a plywood floor, custom wood rack, and a Home Depot Utility Box. Worked like a charm!

HPIM0972.jpg

HPIM0971.jpg

HPIM0973.jpg

NJ 03Mach1

Established Member
I like that trailer. I'm looking into Harbor Freight as well. I do want an aluminum box though, as I'll be storing tools and such in mine, and the trailer won't be stored in a garage or anything..

Users who are viewing this thread