Looking to get an 03 focus svt for a DD. Opinions?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Ive been wanting to get an SVTF for a while now and there's a local guy selling an 03 with 133k miles. I haven't seen it in person yet but it seems to be all stock, is there anything I should look out for when I go to check it out? I want a reliable and fun DD so I'm hoping this will be it!

Let me know if this is a bad idea too:beer:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Make sure it's well maintained, if it's a project it'll cost a fortune to get it right.

The biggest concern is that the timing belt has been done in the recent past, it should be done about every 90k.

Other than that just look for leaks and listen for odd noises from the clutch area.

My SVT has been my DD in Minnesota for the last eight years and it's been fantastic, never let me down even once.

-Steve

Sapperstang

Established Member
My opinion is to stay away. Now a few guys on here will inevitably have to give me crap for voicing my opinion of the car but I have just as much right to do so.

These cars have a long list of common issues you should research and be on the look out for. Mine had pretty much all of them. They are also pretty inefficient on fuel despite being a four cylinder. Very slow, can barely get out of their own way. Expect ricers to try and race you often. They handle just okay, nothing special.

Looking back on it I'd say the svtf was one of the worst cars I have ever owned. There are many better choices out there.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
The SVT is not for everyone, it requires a hands on owner that will maintain it and keep up on things as they go wrong.

Let issues pile up and it'll become a nightmare, no question, that's why I said to find a good one because far too many of them are neglected by their owners until they decide to sell it off and then the new owner is stuck with a huge list of problems.

-Steve

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor

Calimon27

I'm in the same boat, I'm looking to get a daily driver and I was hoping to find a economy car with some performance to it. I own a 2003 Cobra which I want to put back in the garage and I was looking at Honda's, Mini Coopers and such but there such boring cars. I do want my DD to at least be somewhat fun to drive if possible.

Mini Cooper S looks interesting.

Anyways I was wondering the same thing as the OP and how reliable is the SVT Focus? My Cobra has been an awesome car, I bought it brand new in 03 and its still going strong. I found an 03 SVT Focus with 74k on it and there asking 6700.

Thanks for any input.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
for a dd focus i like my duratec focus 100 times more then my svt.. svt has no low end..

I've owned a regular Zetec my SVT and a D2.3 ZX3 and while the D2.3 was good I'd never put it in the same category as my SVT but then my SVT is tweaked a little so it's a bit better than stock.

I'm in the same boat, I'm looking to get a daily driver and I was hoping to find a economy car with some performance to it. I own a 2003 Cobra which I want to put back in the garage and I was looking at Honda's, Mini Coopers and such but there such boring cars. I do want my DD to at least be somewhat fun to drive if possible.

Mini Cooper S looks interesting.

Anyways I was wondering the same thing as the OP and how reliable is the SVT Focus? My Cobra has been an awesome car, I bought it brand new in 03 and its still going strong. I found an 03 SVT Focus with 74k on it and there asking 6700.

Thanks for any input.

As previously mentioned, the SVT is a lot of fun, it's also quirky and does require a hands on type owner that will stay on top of maintenance.

Mine has been fantastic.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ian, you know me from the open track forum. You will notice a lack of punch going from your Cobra. But you'll also notice a huge fun-factor. I do love driving mine. I also do wish it had more low-end torque (especially on track).

I looked for half a year, and found one close to 60K miles. I'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread