Looking to get a bit more out of the Whipple

Avenger

Established Member
Haven't posted in a while as I kinda lost interest in the car when I lost cylinder #7 two years ago. At the time, I replaced the engine with an Aluminator and put the good old twin screw back on top of it.

Got dragged to a dyno day / track event last weekend. The car made 658whp / 657wtq @ 21psi (SAE) on VP MS109. The next day, I went back to the track for the first time in over a year. Even though it wasn't as smooth as usual, the car went 10.68 on my first run. It went a best of 10.61 @ 132 w/ 1.54 60ft in crappy weather that day. This pretty much matches my all time best that was done two years ago on the previous engine in perfect fall weather.

I really enjoyed the weekend and was pretty impressed with the car responding so well so it kinda reignited the desire to go faster. With that said, here's the rundown of my mods and a couple questions. Please keep in mind I've been out of the game for a while so I would like some input on the general consensus regarding a few things.

FRPP Aluminator crate engine
Whipple W140AX @ 21 psi (4# lower, 3.0 upper)
SCT BA2400 MAF
Return style fuel system w/ twin Walbro intank fuel pumps
Siemens Deka 60lb/hr flow matched injectors
Liberty Gears 26-spline input shaft
RAM Street Dual disc clutch
PST carbon fiber driveshaft
Stock suspension
IRS w/ stock half-shafts
Full weight

Questions:

I'm thinking about changing to a 6# lower to bring the boost up to 23psi. Has experience shown this to be a valuable modification ? If it is and I go down that route, I'll probably need a new MAF. Is the 110mm JLT with slot style sensor the best option ? Is it even worth going from 90mm to 110mm housing at such an airflow ?

Considering I have plenty of fuel pumps and the fact the injectors are not maxed out yet, do you think raising pressure to 50psi would be sufficient to support the additional fuel requirements ?

And since this wouldn't be complete with the typical retarded question, what kind of gains should I expect from a revised air intake and an additional 2psi ?

I got a damn 600whp Z06 lined up at the track later this fall and I'd like to represent properly ! :beer:

Thanks a lot !!

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
switch to E85, looks like you have most of the fuel system in place ( that is you already have return fuel system ), just need bigger injectors, and add some timing.. I would think 700rwhp shouldnt be a problem with keeping boost the same. IMO

Avenger

Established Member
Trust me, I would have switched to E85 a while ago if it wasn't for the fact we don't have any stations offering it within 100miles. :shrug:

gabe1530

Banned
I think your maf should be fine if you go to 23psi. Switching to a 110 will help as it frees us some restriction.

Avenger

Established Member
Still running the factory manifolds. A friend is actually trying to sell me his ARH setup. I've considered it but not sure its worth it. Heard they won't show on the dyno but will significantly improve trap speeds at the track.

Is that the general consensus ?

As for the 2.9, what do they typically go for ?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ I'm sorry but anyone who says you won't gain power, both hp and tq under the curve (most importanty) and peak on a setup like yours is high off something, or knows nothing about how engines work!! Get some 1-3/4'' LT's with a 3'' xpipe and I'll bet with your current setup you pick up some great under the curve and peak hp.

I might even go as far as to say if you add a full exhaust like I mentioned above and then add 2psi you'll be well into the 700's on 109 or 110 octane.. You'll more than likely lose 1-2 psi with the full exhaust then pulley down again for 21-22psi.. Please tell me you atleast have a O/R midpipe and catback?

Last edited:

04cobrawhine

Established Member
you're going to need at least 750rwhp to run with a 600rwhp z06. those things are nasty as hell. good luck though!

Avenger

Established Member
Yes, I do have an offroad Magnaflow X and the matching catback. I'll have to think about the longtubes ! My friend's got a set of 1 3/4" x 2.5" ARH, you guys think its a worthy upgrade ?

Last edited:

Termilvr

Established Member
Yes, I do have an offroad Magnaflow X and the matching catback. I'll have to think about the longtubes ! My friend's got a set of 1 3/4" x 2.5" ARH, you guys think its a worthy upgrade ?

if you can get a good deal on them pick them up as the primary's should help drop boost but if you can afford to get a set of 1 3/4 to 3 in collector and a 3in to 2.5in xpipe that would be ideal for high boost/hp.

gabe1530

Banned
i would pick that system up from your friend in a heartbeat. for the amount of boost you are running LT's will show an amazing difference over stock manifolds.

Users who are viewing this thread