Looking to buy

nickf2005

Established Member
Looking to find me a decent F150 to use as a DD. I drive approx 45 miles a day and live in Indiana.

Found this truck local and I like the looks of it. Sharp. However, it is a 2005 with 105,000, which is not bad in itself... But, it does have a Roushcharger on it. :banana:

My question is, how well will the Triton 5.4 hold up to FI over time? Is the motor going to give out much sooner than if it was left NA? Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

2005 F150 -Craigslist

nickf2005

Established Member
Looking to buy a F150

Posted this in the F150 forum, but thought I'd link it here to get some more exposure. Please see the linked thread. Thanks!

F150 Thread

ModularFan

Established Member
As long as the boost is kept between 8-10 psi, and hes running everything else stock plus the tune, i don't see their being an issue. 105k miles isn't really alot. was the truck well maintained?

nickf2005

Established Member
As long as the boost is kept between 8-10 psi, and hes running everything else stock plus the tune, i don't see their being an issue. 105k miles isn't really alot. was the truck well maintained?

Thanks for the opinion. I have no other information about the truck besides what the ad states. Not sure how serious I want to be about this truck. Makes me nervous. I've been trying to do reliability review searches about the '04 and they seem to be pretty good. The spark plug removal problem worries me though.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Posted this in the F150 forum, but thought I'd link it here to get some more exposure. Please see the linked thread. Thanks!

F150 Thread

I would look it over and talk to the guy. If he seems to know what he's doing he probably maintained it well. I'm inclined towards it, I like that body style and the FX trim.

nickf2005

Established Member
I would look it over and talk to the guy. If he seems to know what he's doing he probably maintained it well. I'm inclined towards it, I like that body style and the FX trim.

That's a good idea. I may try to set something up with him next week. He lives in the same area I work. If it's no longer available, by time I get something set up, then it's a sign.

It still makes me nervous buying a 10 year old truck for $10k. I really would like to get into an '09+, but I just can swing $17k right now. We're trying to save up for building a house. And, no, I won't sell the Shelby to get one. :rockon:

nickf2005

Established Member
I would say its worth checking out. As long as it's well maintained and mechanically sound, why not?

I agree. My hesitation is due to the fact that it's a 10 year old truck and I don't want to drop 10K into something that's going to be needing repair after repair in 2 years.

I currently have 151,000 miles on my Escape and needs some TLC that I don't want to invest the money in. Leaking rear main, intermittent miss, battery light on (alternator putting out low amperage), and the paint is starting to chip on the hood. Talking about $1k in repairs for a car that is worth maybe $3k.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I agree. My hesitation is due to the fact that it's a 10 year old truck and I don't want to drop 10K into something that's going to be needing repair after repair in 2 years.

I currently have 151,000 miles on my Escape and needs some TLC that I don't want to invest the money in. Leaking rear main, intermittent miss, battery light on (alternator putting out low amperage), and the paint is starting to chip on the hood. Talking about $1k in repairs for a car that is worth maybe $3k.

Personally, I probably would pass if I were looking at it just because I don't see the need for a truck like that to have a blower. Low 14's at best at the track? Not worth it to me I guess. Especially since you already have a GT500.

If you're looking for a fun truck, that's one thing... However, if you're looking for pure reliability, I would probably pass and get a regular F150 without the blower.

It kind of seems like you're looking for reliability and that's your main concern from that post, so I would just find a stock one. Expect things to break eventually and hope for the best, regardless of how it is now.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
Personally, I probably would pass if I were looking at it just because I don't see the need for a truck like that to have a blower. Low 14's at best at the track? Not worth it to me I guess. Especially since you already have a GT500.

If you're looking for a fun truck, that's one thing... However, if you're looking for pure reliability, I would probably pass and get a regular F150 without the blower.

It kind of seems like you're looking for reliability and that's your main concern from that post, so I would just find a stock one. Expect things to break eventually and hope for the best, regardless of how it is now.

Spot on. I'm not looking for a performance truck... As you said, I have the Shelby. The only reason I gave this truck a second look was the price. It's really hard to find a 4x4, Screw, and under 100K miles for the budget I'm on. I think at the end of the day, there's too many variables added to this truck that can cause it to let me down. Thanks for your opinion. I believe it was the reassurance I needed to pass on the sale.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I looked forever to find my dsg FX4 crew, it had 67k, priced about 6k under book, extang solid fold cover, and had aftermarket wheels/tires/level (which I sold and bought ones I wanted). When a clean 06-08 is posted for a good price, it will not stick around long, I had 2 trucks get away before the weekend when I planned to pick them up. I drove across the state and bought this one the day it was posted!

I was somewhat interested in adding a saleen or roush sc to this truck, the 5.4 just does not have the power that newer trucks do (34.4" tires on heavy harley wheels don't help) but I figure who cares if its slow, that's not the point of this truck

nickf2005

Established Member
I looked forever to find my dsg FX4 crew, it had 67k, priced about 6k under book, extang solid fold cover, and had aftermarket wheels/tires/level (which I sold and bought ones I wanted). When a clean 06-08 is posted for a good price, it will not stick around long, I had 2 trucks get away before the weekend when I planned to pick them up. I drove across the state and bought this one the day it was posted!

I was somewhat interested in adding a saleen or roush sc to this truck, the 5.4 just does not have the power that newer trucks do (34.4" tires on heavy harley wheels don't help) but I figure who cares if its slow, that's not the point of this truck

I hear you about trying to catch a deal. However, I believe I did... See my new thread. I gave $15,700 for it, which is not a steal, but pretty good.

New to me DD (F150 Content)

Users who are viewing this thread