Looking to buy NEW SVT, Questions! HELP!

SPDFRK

Established Member
I am new to this site and think it is one of, if not the best I have seen yet! I am looking at the 02' Lightning and am curious how many miles some of you drive a day/week/month with the mods you have done? I am curious what kind of life you are looking to get out of your motor/truck? How much boost is safe for the daily driven weekend warrior? Is the 4lb lower pulley to much and how much boost will that be total?

I am also looking at the TERMINATOR!

I have had several mustangs and two 97' Cobra's. Do any of you have trouble getting races? Both my cobra's had minor mods and once I beat a couple fast cars nobody would even try! How is the truck as far as a sleeper goes?

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Mine is a daily driver 35 miles each way to work.

It has a bunch of mods
chip, filter, 2# lower and 1.5# upper pulley, oval throttle body, electric fan, crankcase breather, trans line mod with a 4x4 trans pan, and JDM's traction bars.

I have 26,000 miles on it, and have had no problems.

I try not to race on the street, but have spanked a few slowmaros, and vettes.

Since you have a few cobras/stangs get the L it is a blast.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Originally posted by SPDFRK
I am new to this site and think it is one of, if not the best I have seen yet! I am looking at the 02' Lightning and am curious how many miles some of you drive a day/week/month with the mods you have done? I am curious what kind of life you are looking to get out of your motor/truck? How much boost is safe for the daily driven weekend warrior? Is the 4lb lower pulley to much and how much boost will that be total?

I am also looking at the TERMINATOR!

I have had several mustangs and two 97' Cobra's. Do any of you have trouble getting races? Both my cobra's had minor mods and once I beat a couple fast cars nobody would even try! How is the truck as far as a sleeper goes?

First off, welcome to the forum. :)

I don't drive my L everyday but there are many that do. Most if not all of the guys that drive them daily really enjoy it. You can expect to have some of the same little problems with the Lightning that you would have with any other mass produced vehicle. The life expectancy of the motor will depend in a large part on how well you plan to maintain it and if you plan to race it weekend after weekend. Just as with any other motor, the harder up push it the more maintance it will require and the time before it needs to be rebuilt will be shorter.

There are some that are using a 4# pulley on their daily drivers. And there are some that are running combinations of uppers and lower pulleys. Based on reading discussions and talking to some of the guys that are trying different combinations, 2 to 3 pounds seems to be a good street range for daily use, but again there are some using 4 pound pulleys on a daily driver. It seems that general thinking is that the max boost is somewhere around 18 pounds total, but there are a lot of variables to that.

As to the L being a sleeper, that's going to depend on where you're at. Back when they were new in this area most people didn't know what they were and figured that they were just fancy pickup trucks, all show and no go. Now people have heard of them and know a little bit about what they are and can do. There are still a few non belivers around that need to be spanked from time to time but for the most part the L gets at least some respect.

There are links in my sig that will take you to my web site where you can find a page on my mods. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Spdfrk:

My 01 L is a daily driven(18,000) 1/4 miler(see sig.). Most of those miles were with a 3lb. lower pulley, chip, ram air kit, th/body, and oil breather cap. No problems except for cracked fog lite lens--big deal. It's a wonderful handfull.

Dan

bulld09

Established Member
I drive my 99L everyday(since I've gotten it) It really like gas but hey you must pay the price to have one of the baddest truck on the planet. Watch out for flying rocks fog light replacements cost $88 a piece.

Users who are viewing this thread