Looking to buy an SVT

Alacris

Hey all,
My g/f and I were shopping for a new car for her and decided to try out the ZX5 Focus. She loved it, and we're probably going to get one.

While we were there, I decided to take the SVT out for a spin. All I can say is WOW!!!

I currently have a 1997 Tiburon, that I modded fairly well and am pretty happy with. But this thing handled much better, pulled better, and overall really impressed me.

So now, we're looking at getting two cars and with the awesome financing deals for the '03s, it may be affordable too.

Some questions, though:
What should I be looking to pay for an '03 SVT Focus with and without the European package (the one I test drove). The dealership has several, 2 and 4 door with and without the add on's. I saw prices ranging from $17,500 to $20,000 (no haggle, easy pricing).

Are there better production runs to look for, if I have an option? I notice a lot of people have problems with the two stage intake manifold actuator (among other problems). However, to be fair, most problems I found were with the '02s.

I know you all will be biased, but why should I consider the SVT focus over a MazdaSpeed or Neon SRT-4? I've test driven them all and like them all even. Problem is -- no incentives for either of them, cheap looking interiors, and overall seemed featureless compared to the Focus. Just wanting your all's opinion as well.

We're definitely getting hers next week and I'd like to decide by then (hopefully we can get a deal if we do a double-purchase).

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

AC

Mike-SVT

Established Member
this statement answers why we did and think you should get an SVT Focus instead of something else. After 1.5 years and 20,750 miles with mine I am very happy with it.

"I know you all will be biased, but why should I consider the SVT focus over a MazdaSpeed or Neon SRT-4? I've test driven them all and like them all even. Problem is -- no incentives for either of them, cheap looking interiors, and overall seemed featureless compared to the Focus. Just wanting your all's opinion as well. "

Primaris

Established Member
How are you going to use the SVTF? The reason I'm asking is if you are thinking autocrossing it or time trialing it you want it as light as possable. This means no options.

If your going to be running the 1/4 get the Neon.

I don't think the MazdaSpeed is competition.

Also did you know you can get a 5 door SVTF?

Alacris

Right now I like having a "stoplight demon". Fun commuter car, pass when I have to; school riced out civics when necessary.

I currently don't do any racing, street or otherwise. I just want a fun all-around car to drive. My Tib is that now, however, lack of aftermarket support is starting to weigh on me. I'm getting bored with what I have and my quest for more HP seems to have stalled. Plus, I thought I had a great handling car until I test drove the SVT.

Right now, it looks like she's getting the 5 door economy, I'm getting the 3 door sport coupe. Which makes sense, b/c she's practical and I'm impuslive. :D

Any advice on pricing? Right now they seem to be going below invoice; but I want to make sure there's not a "catch".

Thanks,
ac

93 COBRA

Established Member
I've only had mine for a couple weeks...but I can honestly say I love this little car. The only thing is I don't know if I can wait 5 years /100,000 miles for the warrenty to expire before I put a turbo or a s/c on this thing. :burnout:

mchedd

Burp - 'scuse me
Established Member
Alacris- There's been some talk about how unhappy SVTF owners have been with traction control. Something to think about.

Alacris

Is traction control on the '03s defeatable by a switch, or is it always on unless you play with fuses? I did a search and it seems some people can turn it off and others can't.

Sadly, the one I liked on the dealer lot had both the European and Winter packages. I'll skip the winter packages if possible, but it looks like that could be my only option.

thanks again all,
ac

wagonman72

Established Member
Don't get the winter package it's a waste of money, get the car, you'll love it. The SVTF will outhandle and outstop just about anything on the road, and remember that SILVER IS THE FASTEST COLOR.

Users who are viewing this thread