Looking to buy an F150 Lariat

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
I'm going to look at a 2005 F150 Lariat on Tuesday. I know the exhaust manifolds are notorious for cracking, what other problems should I look out for? Do the 3 valve motors still have the spark plug issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

_Satch_

Established Member
I have a 2008 F-150 with the 5.4. I believe Ford didn't change to the updated spark plug until early 2008. So the older versions had the problems with the possibility of breaking the plugs when attempting to remove them. I changed my plugs out at 50,000 and didn't break any of them. I also thought I had the notorious exhaust manifold crack, but it ended up being a failed exhaust manifold gasket. I changed out the stock manifolds to Dynatech long tube headers at that time. I currently have 67k on it. It's been a great truck other than the gasket failure.
Satch,

Jroc

Established Member
I believe Ford went to normal style spark plugs in the 3v motors in the mid-07 models.

I'm not positive though.

cj428mach

Established Member
The 2004-2007ish 3v 5.4's are pretty flawed. They have ticking/cam phaser issues, exhaust manifold issues, and spark plugs that break off in the head. I sold my 05 Fx4 at 65k to get into the Cobra game as I knew it would be a problem later on. Then I was given an 07 F150 5.4 for my company truck and it has all the 3v problems I knew my 05 was going to get. I did manage to change the plugs in it though without breaking any.

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Are the broken plugs a result of the brand of plug, or an issue with the engine itself? What is the ticking cam phaser issue? Will it deadline the truck or is it just a nuisance?

Would a 2005 with 132kmi be worth it?

YJSONLY

Established Member
Are the broken plugs a result of the brand of plug, or an issue with the engine itself? What is the ticking cam phaser issue? Will it deadline the truck or is it just a nuisance?

Would a 2005 with 132kmi be worth it?

It's the way the plug is in the head. The spark plug is like 2.5 times the size of a normal plug. Go to a parts store and ask to see/hold a plug from the era. Better yet call your local ford dealer and ask what they charge for a plug change on a 06 f150 and a 03 f150..... Bet it's a lot different and there is a reason why!

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
If I switch to better plugs, the problem is alleviated, yes?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to perform the Livernois fix for the cam phasers with moderate technical skills, or is it a major job?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The stock plugs are a two piece design and snap in half is the issue. If you put different plugs in it then that is alleviated.

Cam phaser are a nuisance and I've never heard of them killing an engine. The fix involves pulling the timing cover which isn't all that bad.

I had an 07 lariat I loved and we currently have an 09 platinum.

cj428mach

Established Member
The problem results from the tip of the spark plug is really long and the spark plug hole in the head below the threads is deep as well. The diameter of the hole isn't much bigger than the tip of the spark plug and if carbon builds up or the tip seizes to the bore of the head then the plugs are really hard to get out/break. Some companies make 1 piece plugs for the trucks to try to fix this issue. A lot of places will charge $500-1000 for a plug change on these to cover their butts if they break.

Cam Phasers don't usually take out an engine but they do make it sound like a diesel.

I really can't understand why Ford has such a hard time with spark plugs. 03-04 Cobras, 5.4 2v's, 5.4 3v's they're all screwed up. You'd think with Ford had been producing internal combustion engines for 100 years they would have figured out spark plugs by now, lol.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I really can't understand why Ford has such a hard time with spark plugs. 03-04 Cobras, 5.4 2v's, 5.4 3v's they're all screwed up. You'd think with Ford had been producing internal combustion engines for 100 years they would have figured out spark plugs by now, lol.

to be fair, two of those worked just fine for forever and billions of miles....then they added boost lol

mrlrd1

Established Member
All 3Vs use the spark plugs with the extended ground electrode shield that is known to break during removal from carbon buildup. The problem is the cylinder head design, not the plug. They updated the cylinder head with a larger plug bore (in the chamber) during the 2008MY that alleviates this problem.

DO NOT use Champion plugs in ANY modular motor. I don't care if it's a 1 piece design, it's junk. Lots of internet "gurus" recommend them and I get those trucks in my shop for all kinds of strange problems. I pull out and throw away those pieces of shit by the bucket. Sure, they don't break, but they cause all sorts of driveability issues. Install new Motorcraft plugs, coat them with anti-seize per the TSB, and do a yearly induction service and you won't have broken plugs in the future.

You WILL have oiling issues - it's just a matter of time vs maintenance. Cam phaser knock means you have low pressure at the cylinder head galleys (pressure reading at sensor port will be OK). Phaser replacement is a temporary "band-aid fix". EVERY engine that I've worked on with cam phaser noise had worn/scored cam journals and cam caps. Phaser replacement only requires a special tool and valve cover removal - timing cover does NOT need to come off.

The exhaust manifolds don't crack. The passenger side warps due to heat and stress caused from the weight of the y-pipe, and then it blows the gasket out at the front of the #4 primary. Good news is that the studs don't break as easily as the 2Vs.

Last edited:

JasonFC

Somethings different
Established Member
Update:

I went down to the dealership today, truck seemed nice enough, for a decent price. The truck is on the original plugs and there was a slight tick that may have been indicative of the cam phaser issue. They were willing to negotiate and did so fairly, but the potential issues I may face, possibly in a short amount of time, may steer me away from purchasing. I'll know tomorrow.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Update:

I went down to the dealership today, truck seemed nice enough, for a decent price. The truck is on the original plugs and there was a slight tick that may have been indicative of the cam phaser issue. They were willing to negotiate and did so fairly, but the potential issues I may face, possibly in a short amount of time, may steer me away from purchasing. I'll know tomorrow.

Phasers don't tick. They make a dull knocking noise from the front of the valve cover(s) only at idle - sounds very similar to a faint diesel engine noise. At idle: More rapid ticking (10-20 times per second) is normal injector noise. A rythmic ticking noise (2-3 times per second) indicates an exhaust leak, loose spark plug, or HLA problem (oil pressure). Rattling on engine decel is the VCT solenoids. All the above problems are common.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread