Looking to buy a 2013 GT500... advice appreciated!

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Anything to look out for on a 2013 GT500? I've narrowed my search down to two one-owner cars with less than 5000 miles on both, 100% stock, clean CarFax, etc. Both have the SVT pkg, Recaros, etc and are extremely clean.

TIres? Clutch? Rear axle?

I'm a longtime Mustang fan, had a 2007 Grabber Orange GT, but never had a Shelby. I've had many high performance cars over the years (Gen IV VIper, C7 Stingray, ZL1 Camaro, Buick GNs and a GNX, yada, yada, yada...) but until now, no Shelby.

Well that is a about to change.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Get the Vin #'s and any Ford Dealer can run you a Free Oasis Report, do it before you buy. Use that along with the Carfax. Good luck!!

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Get the Vin #'s and any Ford Dealer can run you a Free Oasis Report, do it before you buy. Use that along with the Carfax. Good luck!!

Great advice. I just requested a report on both cars. Thanks - I never would have thought of that.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
I also purchased my first Shelby last year and it has been great so far...No problems or issues at all. I would say just do the standard look around for obvious signs of abuse or any fluid leaks, and low fluid levels under the hood. Look at the tires closely as well for signs of abuse. If possible, test drive them and give it a high-rpm shift into second and third. I would probably buy the one with the best shift if all things else are equal. I think I got a good one in that regard, and for that I am glad.

Not sure if this is much help, but good luck! Hope you get what you want.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
I also purchased my first Shelby last year and it has been great so far...No problems or issues at all. I would say just do the standard look around for obvious signs of abuse or any fluid leaks, and low fluid levels under the hood. Look at the tires closely as well for signs of abuse. If possible, test drive them and give it a high-rpm shift into second and third. I would probably buy the one with the best shift if all things else are equal. I think I got a good one in that regard, and for that I am glad.

Not sure if this is much help, but good luck! Hope you get what you want.

Also great advice - thank you and I will do that.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Good luck finding someone that will let you drive the car in a spirited manner. I wouldn't sit in the passenger seat and let someone I had never met drive my car and I sure as hell wouldn't allow them to take it for an unaccompanied test spin.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Good luck finding someone that will let you drive the car in a spirited manner. I wouldn't sit in the passenger seat and let someone I had never met drive my car and I sure as hell wouldn't allow them to take it for an unaccompanied test spin.

Good points. I've already had test drives offered for both but I wouldn't abuse anyone's car. Thanks for the reply.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
If the car is at a dealer it's easily possible. Private sale, ask the owner do it himself.

Might not fly in every situation, but doesn't hurt to try or ask. Seems like some guys are having a heck of a time with grinding gears at higher RPM and other cars are fine.

Last edited:

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
I got the Oasis report on one of the two cars. No issues at all, nothing.

So that's good.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Good luck. There weren't any stand out issues with these years.
They are great cars with proven reliability

ThomasL

Established Member
They should be good to go assuming nobody beat the dog shit out of them; which is a possibility :) Good luck and keep us posted.

03reptile

Established Member
Raven: There were a spate of 2013's that had a carrier bearing in the rear end, spin, and caused the highway speed axle whine that many get when changing rear gears. Mine had it and it was replaced under warranty. No problems since. There really are few problematic issues with the 2013/14 units, so I think you'll be OK. The stock Goodyear F-1's are pretty crappy unless its 90 degrees outside, so I'd look for replacements for them ASAP.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Anything to look out for on a 2013 GT500? I've narrowed my search down to two one-owner cars with less than 5000 miles on both, 100% stock, clean CarFax, etc. Both have the SVT pkg, Recaros, etc and are extremely clean.

I'm a longtime Mustang fan, had a 2007 Grabber Orange GT, but never had a Shelby. I've had many high performance cars over the years (Gen IV VIper, C7 Stingray, ZL1 Camaro, Buick GNs and a GNX, yada, yada, yada...) but until now, no Shelby.

Over the years? C7, ZL1, Gen IV Viper, etc. Do you get bored quick or what? Ya know it's not against the law to pay something off, keep it, and get another toy. I wish I had everything on my sold/traded list back.

IMG_2178_zps2ib9pz1w.jpg

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
The stock Goodyear F-1's are pretty crappy unless its 90 degrees outside, so I'd look for replacements for them ASAP.

Regarding the above advice: Keep in mind the stock tires can APPEAR bald/abused to the untrained eye even when the tires are new. So keep that in mind when you look the car over. I'd hate for you to worry about abuse needlessly.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Regarding the above advice: Keep in mind the stock tires can APPEAR bald/abused to the untrained eye even when the tires are new. So keep that in mind when you look the car over. I'd hate for you to worry about abuse needlessly.

Thanks.

Kel

Established Member

Raven from Turbobuick.com? Welcome to the other darkside :coolman:

Kel

Established Member
Yep, love and hate...had to ruin mine by putting a 4.5L stage II in it, ha. :cuss: Still waiting to repair/replace those damn brakes...

Users who are viewing this thread