Looking into a thunderbird sc..what are common problems on a 91 thunderbird SC?

turbobuick

Established Member
I found a 91 sc with the 5 speed with 25,000 orginal miles for $5,999.

What are some common problems on a 91 thunderbird sc? Are they good daily drivers? Are they reliable? What are some known problems with these cars? Whats the typical gas mileage on these? How big is the fuel tank? How much boost does it make? What do they run in the 1/4 mile? Are these cars pretty easy to work on?

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
That's a steep price even for that low of mileage. I wouldn't buy that one for a daily driver. That's something you'd buy just to keep for a long time.

They're reliable when unmodded. As soon as you bump the boost or open up the exhaust, be prepared to change the headgasket. Look at MPG around the 25 mark. I believe they make 10-12psi bone stock. Could be wrong on that one.

A buddy ran a 15.1 @ 89mph in a stock 89 SC 5 speed.

And no, not easy to work on. :(

Last edited:

Fastronald

Established Member
That is a very high price for a Super Coupe. I found a very clean 92' five speed with all the options I wanted .............I paid $2,000

Thomas A

Established Member
For the mileage, there is nothing wrong with that price. As long as the car is as clean as it should be for the mileage. Good luck finding a nice SC with only 25K miles. They don't show up everyday.

Thomas

jfsram

Established Member
That is a very low mileage car. Consider the fact that it is 16 years old. Potential to be a lump if it's low mileage because it's a track only car, short trip car or spent alot of time on jackstands but you'll know when you look at it. You can neglect a 2 year old car and after a clean up, it looks well cared for but neglect a car for 16 years and you'll hide nothing.

Compared to other $6000 cars on car lots, a mint SC with 25k is a deal. Enjoy it as a stock daily and you won't regret. Trying to get it to compete with a Mustang will kill your wallet.

flatblack5.0

breakin stuff since 04
Established Member
definately not an easy car to work on at all, i backed out of one because of that reason, guy only wanted 800 bucks for it. tan car, 120K, auto, 11 PSI boost, but the damn thing was a cluster**** under the hood.

Ecarlcl

Established Member
definately not an easy car to work on at all, i backed out of one because of that reason, guy only wanted 800 bucks for it. tan car, 120K, auto, 11 PSI boost, but the damn thing was a cluster**** under the hood.

Didn't know tan was a color option for them.

Thomas A

Established Member
Wow, this post is is old. They came in Titanium, which is closer to silver than it is to tan.

And as far as being hard to work on, they really aren't. They are just a basic push rod V6 with some extra plumbing up top.

Thomas

n2ojnky

Established Member
For the mileage, there is nothing wrong with that price. As long as the car is as clean as it should be for the mileage. Good luck finding a nice SC with only 25K miles. They don't show up everyday.

Thomas

there was only a couple thousand made. in auto and alot less in five speed. ive got a 92 auto i wouldn't sell mine for 6 grand. eazy to work on imo but the abs brakes i hate!!!!

burnzilla

Established Member
Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
i have 3 of them and they make great daily drivers, all 3 are 5 speeds as well.

I haven't had any major problem with any of them as of yet. I had a fuel pump go on one and the o2s go on the other. 1 is completely stock just cosmetically modded and the other has 3" exhaust 10% OD pulley and a ported blower. Both cars give me a steady 27mpg on the highway and are a blast to drive. My other s/c has a stroked 351w and will soon be getting a turbo.

If anyone else chimes in thats interested in supercoupes check out the sccoa forum

Fastronald

Established Member
Super Coupes

I use my 92' five speed as my daily driver..........it's a blast to drive!

I am stripping a used and abused 35TH Anniversay Super Coupe if you need parts.

ColeTrain'sC5

Corvette Fan:)
Established Member
i had a '93 Supercoupe and LOVED it. I had a steel intake tube and K&N open Cone, smaller blower pulley, MAF and injectors and full header back exhaust. LOVED the car and it SCREAMED when you got on it. hit 13-14psi usually and man that blower whined;) You could literally hear the blower, loud and clear scream from 3/4-1 mile away when it went WOT:D badass.... good cars, very solid, handle decent, but do have headgasket issues and minor little stuff. Make sure you get the clip for the tranmission cable replaced at the T/B. They are brittle and will wreck the tranny FAST. idk if the 5 speeds had that issue though. i got 25-27mpg with my Automatic.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
If you plan on modding, do the exhaust first! And all of it! stock headers are restrictive as hell! some headers and a good mid-pipe will help the headgasket situation alot.
I had an 89 XR7 S/C 5 speed. Oh and track down a B&M Ripper shifter for that trans, the stocker WILL fall apart!

Users who are viewing this thread