looking into a crashed stang

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
ok guys well i have been wanting a project car. I found a 97 gt. It has been in a minor accident. It seeems to need a new front bumper and a new pass. fender. like i said i could honestly leave it alone it is minor, but little stuff bothers me. I checkked the frame rad support and everything is fine. not even the lights are broken sooo i was wondering where do guys get our cobra bumpers and new fenders???? I saw them on latemodelresto and also on ebay.will i have a problem with the fit from either of theses places they are both "bulit to factory specs" Does anyone have any iinput on this? thanks

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
those are the only 2 places I know of for the panels
but CJ Pony may carry them not sure though (emustang.com)
i would think they would fit with no problems, since a lot of people do the swap.

what are your plans for it?

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
thanks.those were the only places i could think of. I hope they fit nice.

I am split on the decision. I am either going to go with a 302 and build up the motor and go turbo with lots of booosst , or do a 351 with a big healthy shot of nitrous. and of course all the supporting fuel ,suspension,etc mods. I would like to keep it street legal but it will be a strip car.I dont have the money at the momment to do it all it will be a step by step thing and a fun project that will take quite some time.(school kicks my ass)

if anyone else has exp. with these aftermarket pannels and bumpers please chime in. Thanks guys

white97

Established Member
i have worked in a body shop for 11 years and through personal problems, if you want the best fitment. go with original equip. just go to ford and they can order you some, have always had problems with aftermarket. not all but most. or just buy used, its factory and you know its quality.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I am split on the decision. I am either going to go with a 302 and build up the motor and go turbo with lots of booosst , or do a 351 with a big healthy shot of nitrous.

Just FYI, a production 302 block is not going to handle lots of boost. If you go 302, I'd look into an aftermarket block.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
Just FYI, a production 302 block is not going to handle lots of boost. If you go 302, I'd look into an aftermarket block.

thanks. hopefully the cars at the junkyard have original parts or even have fenders. but as for the bumper I still need one and the chances of finding an oem one will be slim to none. I am also not lookin to break the bank with one directly from ford.so if any of you guys have used 50resto or ebay ones let me know how they fit! thanks.= for all the help everyone

white97

Established Member
thanks. hopefully the cars at the junkyard have original parts or even have fenders. but as for the bumper I still need one and the chances of finding an oem one will be slim to none. I am also not lookin to break the bank with one directly from ford.so if any of you guys have used 50resto or ebay ones let me know how they fit! thanks.= for all the help everyone

if it is an aftermarket fender or etc. there will be markings. aftermarket fenders hoods,doors, etc.. have to have a DOT sticker or marking on them saying they are approved. just look at them good and you should be able to tell:beer:

white97

Established Member
Most of the time they are stickers, bright yellow ones. but they can be removed. not legally though. also if its for there should be a steel stamping on it somewhere or marking somewhere.

white97

Established Member
jfyi, if you need help getting parts i may be able to help you out. used or new. but shipping may suck. let me know what i can do for you.

Users who are viewing this thread