Looking into a Boss 302

whoLEEoh

Established Member
Hey guys I currently drive a 2010 370z nismo and I'm fiddling with the idea of trading the car in for a 302. As un-biased as possible, what do you guys think? Honestly does any1 have any issues with the car thus far? any annoyingness? rattles? My car is currently paid off, so is it worth getting into payments? i need advice before i jump into it.

heres some pics of my car or if you know any1 looking to buy a 370z ;)

7027055735_289a6a7e38_b.jpg

wrapped matte gunmetal
bc br coilovers
hotchkis sways
4.08 gears
OS Giken LSD
Stillen intakes
FI LTH
Custom Exhaust
Oil cooler
Motordyne Manifold
etc..

How much would it cost me to build the stang to handle like my z...almost like its on rails. i know it wont be exactly the same but as close as possible..how much would a good suspension build run around? any advice will be appreciated !!!!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Hey guys I currently drive a 2010 370z nismo and I'm fiddling with the idea of trading the car in for a 302. As un-biased as possible, what do you guys think? Honestly does any1 have any issues with the car thus far? any annoyingness? rattles? My car is currently paid off, so is it worth getting into payments? i need advice before i jump into it.

heres some pics of my car or if you know any1 looking to buy a 370z ;)

7027055735_289a6a7e38_b.jpg

wrapped matte gunmetal
bc br coilovers
hotchkis sways
4.08 gears
OS Giken LSD
Stillen intakes
FI LTH
Custom Exhaust
Oil cooler
Motordyne Manifold
etc..

How much would it cost me to build the stang to handle like my z...almost like its on rails. i know it wont be exactly the same but as close as possible..how much would a good suspension build run around? any advice will be appreciated !!!!

A bone stock Boss would absolutely destroy a nismo Z in virtually every tangible performance category. A stock Boss has posted lap times at Laguna Seca that are faster then C6z's (with Goodyear runflats), 911 turbo porsches, the 09 GTR, as well as many other super high performance cars. You should have zero concerns in that depart, even with your modified 370. As far as going back into debt to buy a new Boss that is a decision you will have to make. Good luck!

6 second diff in lap time between a stock Boss vs a nismo Z.....http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
You wont get an unbiased opinion in this section. Your better off posting in a more general area.

IMO unless you are going to actually take the car to some road courses and race then your better off just buying a GT for the money. It takes very little for the Gt to perform as well as a boss straight line.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
You wont get an unbiased opinion in this section. Your better off posting in a more general area.

IMO unless you are going to actually take the car to some road courses and race then your better off just buying a GT for the money. It takes very little for the Gt to perform as well as a boss straight line.

For the price difference, get a Boss with the Torsen and upgraded seats, and all the other Boss specific parts will be more road race ready than a GT out of the box, thus being cheaper than upgrading.

The Engine in the Boss is capable of higher revving due to better internals, thus being better suited for road racing.

HOWEVER, the cheap MT-82 transmission is Chinese $hit, both in the Boss and the GT.....

Keep the Z as a DD and race the Boss.

Mike

RTD

Established Member
Just bought a new 2012 Boss last Saturday.

Two words for you: do it.

It's an amazing car. Straight line performance stock is on par with my old 98 LS1 Z28 with heads/cam/headers/intake/exhaust/gears. Cornering and braking are out of this world. Plus you don't see a lot of them - 2 year run with ~4k units per year. Contrast that with the 5.0 GT which will be a 4 year run with probably 30k produced each year or the GT500 which will have been a 7 year run with 3k-4k units per year.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
HOWEVER, the cheap MT-82 transmission is Chinese $hit, both in the Boss and the GT.....

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I realize you are EXTREMELY bitter over the fact that you got a bad mt82 but that is a very rare situation. Very very few Boss mt82's are having issues, mine is absolutely flawless and I've put mine through more rigorous thrashing then most members. Your isolated situation is not reflective of 98% of the other Boss mt82's and quite frankly I'm tired of seeing you bash this transmission.

For the record I've owned 2 2011 Shelby GT500's with the "superior" tr6060 transmission which in my opinion is total crap. Both of them had major 1-2 grind as well as multi gear lockout problems, even after they were rebuilt by Ford with upgraded parts. I've also had 2 C6Z's, 1 with a t56 and the other with the tr6060, both of which were far more unpleasant to drive then the Chinese mt82. I've also raced cars with $10,000 PPG straight cut gear dog boxes that didn't hold up longer then 100 miles.

I upgraded the clutch pedal assembly to a 2012 Shelby unit, installed an Mgw shifter, and use RP fluid and couldn't be happier. I've been cutting 1.6 60's at 5k launches and I haven't missed a single shift in 20+ consecutive pass's. I'm not sure what other way to judge the mt82 but mine is rock ***king solid.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Burning: "I'm going to have to disagree with you. I realize you are EXTREMELY bitter over the fact that you got a bad mt82 but that is a very rare situation. Very very few Boss mt82's are having issues, mine is absolutely flawless and I've put mine through more rigorous thrashing then most members. Your isolated situation is not reflective of 98% of the other Boss mt82's and quite frankly I'm tired of seeing you bash this transmission."

To the OP, he is asking for real world unbiased experiences from Boss owners. Why would I sugar coat the fact that this transmission has failed me? Ford is taking care of my issue, all is good. It is too bad that you think that I am isolated.... Look on the forums and see the others who also have had issue with their transmissions....

Starting to sound like NASIOC! Allot of haters within the Subaru World!

Mike

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
It is too bad that you think that I am isolated.... Look on the forums and see the others who also have had issue with their transmissions....

*raises hand*

1 open track day and 2 drag strip trips; 3 trips to the dealer for repairs ranging from 1 day to 2 weeks.

All that aside, I love this car more than anything I've owned or driven. It is the most fun you can have behind the wheel in bone stock form. I am genuinely upset at the idea of replacing it if necessary.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
boss is a special brand. its a special car. its more and more widely known that the 2014 mustang that likely hits the market in 12 months or less will depart entirely from the current plateform.

the standard marketing progression on new car platforms is that the specials cars like boss are held back to keep the platform fresh as it ages. 2013 boss 302 is the end of the road for this entire platform and there may not be a performance replacement for the boss cars for a couple of years.

my read is that if you put a fair downpayment on a boss 302, you will always have equity on trade in value and therefore very manageable debt.

personally, i would hunt to used car market hard. the boss 302 is a hard riding car with minimul creature comforts and many initial buyers will tire of it and trade/sell it off with low miles and good treatment. you may not have to go as far into debt as you fear.

as for compare to the nismo z? there is no comparison. for what it was built to do the boss 302 is an elite ride

bpmurr

Established Member
Just bought a new 2012 Boss last Saturday.

Two words for you: do it.

It's an amazing car. Straight line performance stock is on par with my old 98 LS1 Z28 with heads/cam/headers/intake/exhaust/gears. Cornering and braking are out of this world. Plus you don't see a lot of them - 2 year run with ~4k units per year. Contrast that with the 5.0 GT which will be a 4 year run with probably 30k produced each year or the GT500 which will have been a 7 year run with 3k-4k units per year.

Thanks for making the GT500 sound rare there. ;) It's actually be more like 4-10K a year. I think 2010 was the lowest at 4,500ish.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Burning: "I'm going to have to disagree with you. I realize you are EXTREMELY bitter over the fact that you got a bad mt82 but that is a very rare situation. Very very few Boss mt82's are having issues, mine is absolutely flawless and I've put mine through more rigorous thrashing then most members. Your isolated situation is not reflective of 98% of the other Boss mt82's and quite frankly I'm tired of seeing you bash this transmission."

To the OP, he is asking for real world unbiased experiences from Boss owners. Why would I sugar coat the fact that this transmission has failed me? Ford is taking care of my issue, all is good. It is too bad that you think that I am isolated.... Look on the forums and see the others who also have had issue with their transmissions....

Starting to sound like NASIOC! Allot of haters within the Subaru World!

Mike

Before I purchased my Boss I did a lot of research. I was sooo upset with the transmission problems with my Shelby's that the last thing I wanted to do was buy another car with tranny problems. I kept coming across your posts, and only your posts, and I became discouraged about buying a Boss. I ended up rolling the dice and made my purchase anyway. I could not be happier about my buying my Boss. I've owned 32 cars in the past 10 years, with the Boss easily being one of my all-time favorites. If I had been influenced by your posts I would have never enjoyed becoming an owner of a Boss.

I am trying to grow and support our community whereas all of your bitter remarks are creating despair amongst potential owners. I'm not mad at you, and I understand your frustration because I have been in your shoes, however I firmly believe that the issues with the mt82 are fairly small in numbers, with you and Hybrid representing a very small portion of faulty mt82's.

Anyway, we are all friends here and I feel bad that you and Hybrid are having these issues, I truly hope you guys get your problems resolved :beer:

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I also agree the Boss is the best performing car Ford has ever produced!

I don't think I have been making derogatory remarks or relaying any bitterness toward the car or of the dealers..... Just informing others of my personal issues with the car. As you were buying your Boss at the same time I was experiencing my problems, no doubt you saw all the comments as to the " wrong transmission fluid", "I obviously can't drive", etc..... Yes, I am sure I became angry at some of these posts by fellow list members, but the comments do not in any way take away from how great this car is in every facet of performance.

I will say that their are hundreds of owners with faulty transmissions in the GT's and Boss's. It is unfortunate that they Ford "saved" a few dollars and went with a transmission that has a poor success rate in every line of cars used in..... (Including the GT 500's with the 6060's) The manufacturer of the MT-82 is Jiangling Gear Co., Ltd., and IMHO is all about pumping these units out and have very little regard for quality. They were also designed as a low torque and HP setup for commercial applications with different gearing. As warranty work is done to the MT-82's, I can only hope that Ford is able to recoup the costs for repairs from Jiangling.....

I might get my car back today from the dealer! I am hoping that all is good and ready to drive as a Boss should be driven.

Mike

whoLEEoh

Established Member
My friend lemoned his 5.0 because of the tranny but got another one because he loved the car so much...I found a hell of a deal for a 2013. Paying Msrp and giving me 30 for my car. I might be a new owner of a boss by next week :)

cjmclean

Established Member
I'm incredibly happy with my car. It's hard to describe what it's like to drive the car - sort of a combination of heritage, handling and overall badassness all at the same time. I get looks like no other, people are just drawn to the car.

Haven't raced mine yet on the 1/4 or track, but planning on doing so pretty soon. Just got my Boss Track Attack set up for October.

Do it and never look back!

:banana:

cf6mech

Established Member
Im also displeased with the MT82, for the car to be high performance they sure picked a low performing tranny,....missed shifts and grinds are not very confidence inspiring. For those who may think I'm new to the manual game I'm 53 and have driven manuals all my life from 18 wheelers to VW bugs,.......my 59 Dodge pickup shifted with less issues than this......its functional presantly yes....but have a sneaky suspision in time and when the miles stat adding up these trannys are going to handgrenede soon......these cars are relatively still new now,....I would bet as the miles pile on more and more of these trannys are going to go south.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread