Looking into a '98 SVT Contour, what should I look out for?

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Found a '98 SVT Contour for a reasonable price, are there any gremlins or recalls/tsb's I should know about? Give me the whole rundown, please :)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The basics apply.
For a 98, has the WP been replaced? The tranny been replaced (specifically syncros)..those are probably the biggest things.

CSVT Buying

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
The basics apply.
For a 98, has the WP been replaced? The tranny been replaced (specifically syncros)..those are probably the biggest things.

CSVT Buying

WP? Water Pump?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yup Yup, the 98's had plastic impeller which go around 60k....later years had a revised plastic impeller that last longer. WP change is no big deal though, about an hour tops

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Yup Yup, the 98's had plastic impeller which go around 60k....later years had a revised plastic impeller that last longer. WP change is no big deal though, about an hour tops

No problem there, really :) Are the pumps from later years easier to come by?

BTW, how is ol' Waldorf? I used to spend a lot of time down there :-D

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by Jason43
You'd be better off tracking down a metal impeller pump as opposed to the 99+ plastic pump.

Ok, I'll ask you the same thing I just asked him, how hard are they to find? Your choice of words ('tracking down') isn't too encouraging.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Originally posted by The BigSHO
Yeah... I can believe anyone, including Ford, still makes the POS plastic impellar ones...
Metal is heavier and thus more of a parasitic drag on the valvetrain.

Drag on the valvetrain is a significant power leech!!!

So much so I've toyed with the idea of making a bolt on electric motor to drive the stock pump. (track use of course)

Either way I'm staying with the revised plastic impellar.

My 2.5L one had ~40k on it and looked just fine (no hairline cracks) That saw a lot of time with the redline at 8100rpm as well.

My 3L one now has 10k on it (4k previous and 6k since I got it) so it should be good for a few more years... :D

Users who are viewing this thread