Looking into a 2000/2001 Cobra

CobraSpectre

Hey there I'm new here so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm looking into getting a New Edge Cobra '00 or '01 and I'm trying to find out all of the info to make a smart purchase on one. I've done a research on them. I've found out about the supposedly "missing ponies" from ford's claimed 320hp, apparently a lot of people were dynoing under what the claimed power was and ford fixed it on the 2001 Cobra. Also I had a friend inform me about the teksid blocks being better than the aluminum Windsor's but I don't know much about why. He told me it was mainly concerning the amount of power it could hold and I most likely won't go past exhaust and a tune.

As for looking around. I plan on getting a mechanic to look at whatever car I find. My price range will be around 13k and from what I've seen that will get me a very decent Cobra under 100k. What common issues should I look for myself. So far I haven't found any extremely common issues that people complain about. Also how is the Daily driving experience? It will be my daily except for in the winter. I don't drive a whole lot though and when I do it's not very far. (I've only put 15k on my current car in the past 3 years) Ford's fuel mileage says around 14/22. What are you actually averaging on mileage? Basically I'm just looking for any warnings, tips, suggestions anything that could help!

jrs2000

Established Member
Only thing I can really comment on is you won't be getting anywhere NEAR those Ford mileage ratings as your foot tends to be a lot heavier in these cars..

CobraSpectre

Only thing I can really comment on is you won't be getting anywhere NEAR those Ford mileage ratings as your foot tends to be a lot heavier in these cars..

Oh I know haha. I've had a Cobalt SS for the past 3 years so I know about having a lead foot. I doubt I'll be as hard on it though because I'll know I won't have the luxury of having good mpg no matter what.

Last edited:

ShortRound

Established Member
You will be looking for a 99/01 Cobra. I really highly doubt you want a '00 Cobra for a daily driver.
You dont need to worry about what plant the block come out of. If you are just planning on having a fun and slightly modded Cobra any stock Cobra block will be more than fine.
Search and read everything you can on here, LOTS of info to go over.

CobraSpectre

You will be looking for a 99/01 Cobra. I really highly doubt you want a '00 Cobra for a daily driver.
You dont need to worry about what plant the block come out of. If you are just planning on having a fun and slightly modded Cobra any stock Cobra block will be more than fine.
Search and read everything you can on here, LOTS of info to go over.

I'm glad you pointed the '00 cobra out I just remembered (correct me if I'm wrong) that they only made the Cobra R in 2000

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm glad you pointed the '00 cobra out I just remembered (correct me if I'm wrong) that they only made the Cobra R in 2000
That is correct.

No big deal on the Teksid vs WAP blocks. The WAP is fine for 99% of us. I always thought my Cobra got good mileage. Even after I did all the mods. I guess what we consider good is relative.

Honestly, any question you can think of had been answered at some point. You just have to search and read.

ShortRound

Established Member

No problem. Than again maybe you are HARDCORE EXTREME and want a race car for a daily driver.... Im not here to judge.

Jiffy

Established Member
I've had my 2002 cobra since new, 180K miles and solid as a rock - and totally reliable too. Mileage is around 18mpg in mixed driving.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I've had my 2002 cobra since new, 180K miles and solid as a rock - and totally reliable too. Mileage is around 18mpg in mixed driving.

Got any pics of it? I want to see that funky bumper. To the OP - if your going to get a 99/01 I would try for a color unique to those years, like electric green would be my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread