Looking for wheels for my cobra

Sss2010

Established Member
If anyone out there can help I'd appreciate it. I was looking for new wheels for the cobra I just bought. The ones on it have been chromed and they are pitted. Every wheel I found says they fit a 1993 mustang but not a cobra. Sorry if I sound stupid but what is the issue? Bolt pattern? Back spacing? I like the factory look but what else can I run for a different look? Any help, pics , or ideas would be greatly appreciated.......thanks

buddha93

Established Member
Back spacing?

Long story short, you got it.

You can run other wheels, just be aware that they may stick out a tad in the rear, but nothing obnoxious.

Are you looking for a big diameter wheel with a low profile tire, or something more in the lines of big n' skinnies?

Sss2010

Established Member
I found knock off Shelby gt 500 wheels...thought they might look decent....definitly big diameter wheels...not looking for the drag look....really just trying to make it look a little different but not radical

1slohawk

Established Member
The fronts will also stick out a little which can be corrected by installing regular mustang rotors.

Sss2010

Established Member
I appreciate the help....do u know if I would have a rubbing problem? Like I said I like the wheels on it but they don't look that great pitted... I will probably have them redone but I really don't want the car to be up on blocks waiting for them at the chrome shop...

Sss2010

Established Member
The American muscle gt 500 wheels say they won't work on a 93 cobra....do u know if that's because they will stick out or they won't fit over the calipers? Also on the late model restoration site the 10th anniversary cobra wheels don't say if they will fit or not....again I appreciate the help

buddha93

Established Member
My guess is if it's a GT 500 wheel replica, they're only in 5 lug. I doubt they have a 4 lug version......can't say for sure though.

buddha93

Established Member
So what they are offering is a standard Mustang LX/GT wheel. With a few minor mods, there's no reason they won't fit, but be prepared for some possible rubbing issues, though with a 9 inch wheel I think you'll be fine. And don't put on the widest tire the wheel will take either.

In the above pic, it looks like the rears are just bolted up as they do stick out just a tad. It's hard to tell with the fronts, but as was mention earlier, a simple rotor swap will pull the wheel back in.......short hat with a standard LX/GT.

Sss2010

Established Member
Again I don't want to sound stupid, but if I understand correctly...if I run a 17x9 and the original 245 series tires I should fit with little or no issues. Trx93 cobra do u have these wheels on your car? If so did u have to modify anything? Any pics? Thanks again....

buddha93

Established Member
This wheel your'e looking at is going to be 1.5 inches wider then stock, period. Using the standard Mustang backspacing, your going to be 3/4 of an inch further out from the fenders than a standard Mustang. If the car is lowered, or bottoms out the suspension, it MAY rub the fenders as the tires are now placed outside of the wheel well.......in theroy.

There is always a little wiggle room with these things, and 3/4 of an inch is not really not a huge concern. I run a 9 inch wheel on my car with a 275 tire out back with no rubbing. A 245 series tire will be too narrow to fit on a 9 inch rim. I don't think you'll have any issue out back. I'd focus more on the fronts.

I know your looking for a 100% guarantee here with these wheels, but your stepping into a little bit of a gray area. Yes, the will work, but just be prepared for some possible minor modifcations.

1slohawk

Established Member
Do you know the backspacing on those wheels? They look like there out to the fender lip on a mustang so as said above they will stick out 3/4 more on your cobra. They should work i'm not sure how it will look though.

Users who are viewing this thread