Looking for "tame" axle back

danponjican

Established Member
I am looking for a little more rumble and volume, but no drone or anything that is overly loud (especially in that car at highway speeds). What is the consensus of the best axle back for this type of need?

Also, any chance there is someone in central NC that wouldn't mind meeting up so I can hear your setup?

danponjican

Established Member
I would love to hear one on person... anyone in central NC? Winston Salem, Greensboro or even up to Statesville (where I work).

5.0jake

Established Member
GT500 axleback sounds great, no drone, tame, cheap too.
People can hear you coming unlike the stock axleback...
Roush is NOT tame!

mtflyboy25

Currently a Ricer :(
Established Member
GT500 axleback sounds great, no drone, tame, cheap too.
People can hear you coming unlike the stock axleback...
Roush is NOT tame!

I have heard this as well...

MAC exhaust

Are you kidding? That exhaust is super loud and sexy!

Roush, no drone, low highway sound.

Yeah not at all, it has a good loud tone.

My buddy has Bassani race axlebacks which are not too loud at all. My magnaflows are much louder than his...

Bassani...
YouTube - ‪drewsky121's Channel‬‏

Magnaflow..
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBU089e_lQo"]YouTube - ‪2011 Mustang GT w/ Magnaflow Catback Exhaust‬‏[/nomedia]

kevinp

Established Member
I have the GT500s and like them a lot, nice sound and not too loud. Plus they are cheap, you save 8lbs total, and they fit like OE. I had to loosen the clamps on the mid pipe and slide them back since the tips are a little shorter than stock, very easy to do.

joey_88

Established Member
I have the magnaflow "street" axle back. Its very tame...Im in fayetteville so yeah let me know whats up...it is kinda pricey if thats an issue...

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Just to give you other options, Kooks has an axelback exhaust as well. I have their catback and havent had any droning issues since i purchased and its tame at idle and screams at WOT. Like stated above they are a little $$$ though.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Magnaflow street series here. Bought it from a user here. Very tame. Prolly won't stay long lol. (to quiet)

mcduffer7

Established Member
For the money, you can't beat the GT500 mufflers if you're looking for a mellow sound. Just the right amount of rumble and at a great price. Ive had mine on for a few thousand miles and they even got a bit louder. Perfect in my book!

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Just had some Borla S type axle backs installed...

I LOVE them... no drone, not too loud and it screams when you get on it. It's very throaty!

rmat16

GT500 AB's are the best sounding mufflers you can put on a 5.0 if you want to have control over how loud your car is. At idle, the difference between stock is slightly noticeable from outside the car (especially at cold start), but you can make all the noise when you want to and snap-crackle-pop all day during deceleration.

Frankly, for me, it was maybe a little too quiet when I wasn't on it, so I added LP's off road H. Now, she's perfect. 

I just wouldn't add mufflers that are 'loud enough' by themselves, so that, in the case you decide to do any other exhaust work, the car doesn't become obnoxious. Unless, of course, you have no plans of doing so.

Good luck!

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
GT500 AB here, the perfect sound in my opinion. Deep sound and quiet during cruising. Absolutely no drone.

Users who are viewing this thread