Looking for some tire advice on Michelin super sports

Splatter

Established Member
Hi, was trying to find a Michelin Super sport to fit my 2012 boss 302. Was looking for any feed back on going to a 285/40-19 rear and a 265/40-19 front. Not very happy with the pirelli tires and looking for more grip and tire life ( in the rain they can be scary). Looks like the super sports have just about everyone on board as far as performance goes.

Do not want to go to a tire size larger then the stock 9 and 9.5 inch wheels can take (295/35-19 for example). I calculate the speedo will be about 3.5% out with the larger 285/40-19 tire size. The extra diameter might help with the 11 mpg I get!!!

Any comments and suggestions from those in the know???

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
I love everything about the super sports except the price. I don't see to many issues with your sizes except maybe going to a 35 front instead of the 40.

LostPony

Established Member
I'm switching tires right now too. I am going with the Continental Extreme Contact, I just can't swallow the additional $700 for the Pilots. I'm not sure about going up in sidewall height, I would think it may result in a slightly sloppier handling. I say might because increased height usually equals more flex, but it may be negligible in 35 to 40 height.

I have seen some in the GT500 section say they switched to 265 fronts and you may want to inquire or search threads there for more feedback.

Also, the speedo in these cars is off anyway. Using a GPS vs speedo I consistently show 5MPH faster on the speedo than the GPS. Same GPS in my SVT Focus showed on average about a 2MPH difference.

Last edited:

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I got 4.1% difference for the rear. That's a pretty big difference and will throw the speedo off, obviously. Maybe doing the 275/35 would be the best bet since its only 1.05% difference.

Grant808

Established Member
On the stock rims, I'd run 265/35 and 275/35. The 275/35 is only .3" shorter than the stock rear tire for the speedo reading.

I have the 265/35 front on 19x9 F14 and 295/30 on 10"s in the rear. They work great in the cold and rain. My only concern has been LOTS of sidewall flex compared to the Pirellis. I'll be running more pressure in the fronts next time out to see if that helps. I'd be happier with the 265 on a 9.5" rim for the track.

grnenvy

Established Member
Before you spend a shit load of money on the Michelins I would look into the Toyo Proxes T1. Alot cheaper and almost as good. For a street tire your limited and if u don't do the track the extra money spent isn't worth it.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
FWIW, I love the PSS - I currently have them on my Black Series, and while they definitely work better when it's warm outside, they're passable in the cold.

Para81

Established Member
Michelin Super Sports is what i'm going with next order for my 911. All the C2S/GT3 owners who track the car swear by them.

The stock Laguna Seca tires are great too, plan on keeping them on my Boss.

Highway Star

Established Member
I have the Supersports 255 on the front and 285/40/19 at the back. Do not worry about sidewall flex. I have tracked these tires and they are very solid. Correct tire pressure is all you need. Do go with the 265's up front. Especially if you are tracking the car. better yet go with a square setup 275/35 or 274/40's all around. You will appreciate the extra sidewall on the street and over potholes and the effect on handling will be negligible. the super sports are light years grippier than the P-Zero's. I believe tirerack has Supersport 275/40/19/ for 333 a tire.

Splatter

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips, For now went with a set of Bridgestone S04 in stock sizes, After a track day with the P zeros thought I better get a stock size to swap out if any damages or flats (hard to get these big sizes in Chile!!). Once I get more decent on the track, will decide if its the Super Sports or a set of dedicated track tires.

If you love driving you really have to take your Boss out on the track. It feels like it was made to race and puts the biggest grin on you face.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I have PSS on my 2012 GT, and it’s a night day difference honestly. Grip, braking, accel & feedback. Price isnt my issue with tires as long as they are at the top of the heap which these are!!

Grant808

Established Member
I have the Supersports 255 on the front and 285/40/19 at the back. Do not worry about sidewall flex. I have tracked these tires and they are very solid. Correct tire pressure is all you need. Do go with the 265's up front. Especially if you are tracking the car. better yet go with a square setup 275/35 or 274/40's all around. You will appreciate the extra sidewall on the street and over potholes and the effect on handling will be negligible. the super sports are light years grippier than the P-Zero's. I believe tirerack has Supersport 275/40/19/ for 333 a tire.

Pressure, camber, and wide enough rims. Don't squeeze them on narrow rims. Use the measuring rim width or wider.

they're passable in the cold.
What summer tire is better? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread