Looking for some pictorial help re: 03/04 Cobra Convertible top swap

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
Hey everyone! So, I have an 01 convertible Cobra- needless to say around a year ago my top got slashed up pretty good.

2011-08-31_18-22-09_413.jpg

I ended up Gorilla Taping it as I couldn't afford a new top at the time. Driving around with a taped up top was no fun. Well fast forward another year later and I finally was able to purchase a new top. But not just any top, a cloth top off of an 03 Cobra! FTW! :D

Now, here in lies my problem. It should be a lot easier than just replacing the actual material as the top I bought was a complete take off including frame, cylinder, pump, headliner etc. My question to you is has anyone here done a complete swap like that? I would greatly. greatly appreciate any pictorial help or advice you may have to offer. I hear it's not too complicated because it just bolts right in right?

CobRoush-00

Established Member
It is not hard at all. I did it last summer all by myself. However I would recommend you have someone help you when you are removing the top from the car and when you are replacing it.
Here you go:
Lower the convertible top. Remove the back seat then the rear side panels to access the bolts that hold the convertible frame (Keep in mind that the door sills must be removed in order for the side panels to come out). You will need, I believe, a T45 Torx bit to loosen all the bolts. Remove the motor pump from its base. Now, that's when an extra set of hands can be helpful. Remove the top from the car and swap your new top. If you have any specific questions, PM me. Good luck!

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmmm

Are cobra tops any different from any other new edge?

Yes they are made out of cloth rather than vinyl. Sourced from Jaguar so they look 10x better and I've heard they deaden sound a little better as well.

can't file with your ins?

The slash happened when I didn't have insurance unfortunately. Oh well as I got the complete 03 top with frames etc for only 767 shipped to my door.

It is not hard at all. I did it last summer all by myself. However I would recommend you have someone help you when you are removing the top from the car and when you are replacing it.
Here you go:
Lower the convertible top. Remove the back seat then the rear side panels to access the bolts that hold the convertible frame (Keep in mind that the door sills must be removed in order for the side panels to come out). You will need, I believe, a T45 Torx bit to loosen all the bolts. Remove the motor pump from its base. Now, that's when an extra set of hands can be helpful. Remove the top from the car and swap your new top. If you have any specific questions, PM me. Good luck!

This is exactly what I was hoping for, you are awesome for helping me out! I will def. be PMing you if I have any questions. My top comes Monday so I should likely be putting it in the car no later than a month as I have a busy work schedule.

However I already have a question lol. My car has a CDC Lightbar, does that have to come off to access what you told me to take off?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
However I already have a question lol. My car has a CDC Lightbar, does that have to come off to access what you told me to take off?

The light bar has to come back off in order to remove the rear side panels. (The bar actually slides down through holes cut into the panels.) But it's not that bad. If you didn't install it yourself, look back a few posts at the link for installation instructions. And you'll be so glad to get a new (better) roof over your head it will absolutely be worth it. Good luck.

grnenvy

Established Member
I have installed a couple tops in my time and its a PITA. If u do it yourself start at the back when installing and make sure u center it perfect. The original top is a great templet. Also make sure u have a heated garage or its warm out (SUNNY) so u can stretch it or it will look like shit but then again the cloth tops don't stretch like the vinyl ones.

Last edited:

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
I have installed a couple tops in my time and its a PITA. If u do it yourself start at the back when installing and make sure u center it perfect. The original top is a great templet. Also make sure u have a heated garage or its warm out (SUNNY) so u can stretch it or it will look like shit but then again the cloth tops don't stretch like the vinyl ones.

Thank you for the advice! So make sure it's a sunny day- and you confused me with saying I need to stretch it but then said= then again the cloth tops don't stretch....

Get in touch with BreBar21, IIRC he has a beautiful white vert cobra with an incredible looking top

He had it professionally installed. $$$ lol I'm doing this with a friends or two

Anyone else have any helpful tips etc

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Sounds like you were installing a new top onto an existing frame. If I read his first post right, the OP bought a COMPLETE top with the cloth already installed on the frame, so all he has to do is unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one = DONE. I've never done it so you may also have some minor adjustments/tweaks to make, but shouldn't be near as bad as stretching new material over the frame.

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

Sounds like you were installing a new top onto an existing frame. If I read his first post right, the OP bought a COMPLETE top with the cloth already installed on the frame, so all he has to do is unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one = DONE. I've never done it so you may also have some minor adjustments/tweaks to make, but shouldn't be near as bad as stretching new material over the frame.

Exactly right I have a complete take off. Hoping to have it installed soon. The slashed top is bugging me so bad knowing I have a 03 Cobra top sitting there collecting dust

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
Bump, anyone else have any advice. Barely getting around to doing the sway with this long 4 day weekend

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Connect with 006. IIRC, he did that exact swap, so he can probably help you out. I don't think it's too bad since you're swapping frames and everything. Good luck. It'll be worth the effort!

Users who are viewing this thread