Looking for some insight from an electrician or inspector (breaker question)

Teal Terminator

Established Member
My wife and I are selling our house and the buyers had the inspection done this week. One of the items that came up is below (see screen shot of report complaint). I have added breakers as I installed additional lights, power to a shed, and outlets in the garage. But is the fact that my replacement breakers are not made by the same manufacturer of the panel actually an issue?! I was under the impression that the breakers I installed (Siemens and Square D) were actually of higher quality than the contractor grade breakers that came in the original box.

Thanks for any thoughts/info and let me know if you need any additional information.

IMAG3379_zpstyip60c7.jpg

IMAG3373_zpsg12nkvmo.jpg

IMAG3376_zpso8sgjt1x.jpg

IMAG3374_zpsfteps9gr.jpg

01stallion

ford guy
Established Member
Inspector is being a dick, it was prolly worth mentioning in his report that breakers were different brands but the comment about needed a licensed electrician to look at it was unnecessary. He's just covering his ass from any liability

NastyNate420

Established Member
Im going to school to be an electrician so keep that in mind.
But from what I gather that since the New breaker are not list in the MFG specs then the UL is basically void because the specs have change. MFG send there breaker in for UL test based on the spec of the panels they manufacture.
I have always been told to but the same breakers as the panel box. never really given a reason as to why.
I will ask my boss tomorrow at work and get a definate answer

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I truly think this inspector was just looking for anything to put in his report to justify his $400 - $500 charge to the buyers. I'm pretty anal and relatively handy and while I may not know every building code I do my damnedest to do things right and maintain my house (and cars and anything really) properly. But nearly everything he wrote up was just BS. For example... we have some carpet that needs to be stretched/pulled (sticks up maye 1/2") and he wrote that up. Justified it as a "tripping hazard." Come on, really?!

Jon82387

Established Member
This isn't really a big deal.... And there will probably never be any issues electrically.

But..... It is a code that yes you are supposed to only use breakers that are listed for that specific panel.

And yes he is just writing what he wrote to cover his butt.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Sounds like something I may just tell the buyers if they want changed they can pay to have it done. With that said, breakers are pretty inexpensive and I could do it in 10 min. I don't think they'll make a fuss about it if we decline and explain though.

Users who are viewing this thread