Looking for some input on what to do...

Doogeeburger

Established Member
So I just got a 2001 Cobra Coupe with about 68K miles on it. It is pretty much stock. I was just wondering what would be a good suggestion for starting off the mods.

Do I go bold-on/performance?
Suspension?
Both?
Neither?
What?

And the other day my roommate and some other older modle cobra owners and myself were talking about gear size's. I was just wondering what would be best for a car like mine. 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, What? Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Just wondering what people think. My car is a daily driven car, both street and freeway. And I do not plan on adding several hundred HP or anything like that anytime in the near future. Just do not have the funds.

Doogeeburger

Established Member
Another question that came up was whether to go the way of a diablo sport tunner or the SCT xcaliber 2 tunner. What do people think about this?

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
If you don't have Full Length Subframe Connectors welded in...that is a very good first step. Consider Maximum Motorsports or Global West (matrix-type). No matter what you do with the car these will make your car feel and ride better/tighter....no doubt about it. Stops a lot of rattles and creaks...better handling and more power to the road. If you already have them...forget everything I just said....LOL. I'll leave the rest to the HP and Handling experts for a response. You can also do a search...there is a wealth of really good people and info in here.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Ok so im basically in the same area you are but ive been researching forever.

First off. Get a catback and get rid of that crappy stock sound. I suggest bassani but they are very expensive

Second I'd get subframe connectors, Everyone says they are the best money ever spent on their car. Maximum Motorsports are considered "the best"

Everything else depends on what you want to do with your car in the future. You probably do not want to do things over in the future. Suspension can be done regardless of what you do so that could be a good starting point, or you can just save up.

As for gears, the general rule is nothing less than 4.10s. If you want to be a bit more aggressive, go with 4.30s. But gears are another thing you might have to change in the future.

CobraG

Established Member
A lot depends on your budget, I've had my 01 for 1 1/2 years now and all I have installed is a JLT RAI. If you can/want, throw out a dollar figure and you may be able to get a little more of a direct answer. If you have $200 to spend, gears, handheld tuner, suspension are all out, however, if you have $1000 your looking at getting those. It's all about the money

Doogeeburger

Established Member
First off, thanks for all the advice everyone.

As for the money issue. I currently do not have a set amount to spend. It is one of those things where once I find something to buy I begin saving till I can afford it and put it on. But as for now, I probably only have about 300 or so that I can part with at this point. But I try not to spend more money then I need to, so some months it is easier to save than others. I just did not want to start modding my car in a wrong direction. I just know some modes are pointless untill you can get your hands on other parts. Such as gears or even a throttle body without a tunner/chip.

Rotzs99

Established Member
CobraG said:
A lot depends on your budget, I've had my 01 for 1 1/2 years now and all I have installed is a JLT RAI. If you can/want, throw out a dollar figure and you may be able to get a little more of a direct answer. If you have $200 to spend, gears, handheld tuner, suspension are all out, however, if you have $1000 your looking at getting those. It's all about the money

Agreed. I would also add that myself being in college, owning a new edge is borderline sucky. You have no income to spend on mods and all the terminator people laugh at you cuz youre slower. I'm just doing the cheaper mods (catback, shifter, subframes) until i get a job and can afford a turbo or supercharger. Im not going to do gears because those might need changin in the future. Nitrous might be a nice direction to go until you get an income.

Edit: I saw your new post. 300 bucks can get you a few things. A nice JLT CAI (225 new, or 150 or so used), Shifter (I got my MGW used for 150), Subframes (300 installed), springs (250ish no real performance gain, mostly looks). And my catback was 450 off Ebay. Those are all some good basic starting mods that make the car more fun to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread