Looking for some info and sources.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Im going to give some back info before I get to what im looking for. This time last year my best friend since high school took his 17 almost 18 year old son to the hospital for severe stomach pains. They assumed it was just the flu or some kind of stomach bug but quickly found out it was much more serious.

Jason as we will call him was diagnosed witt a rare adolecent cancer that attacks the abdomen extremely aggressively. My friend immediatly sent him to his mothers in New York so that he could go to the cancer center there. Im sure you can imagine, this destroyed jasons plans for the future. He was already accepted into the NAVY as some sort of nulcear propulsion tech. ( I dont know the details of the job just know this kid is smart and driven to succeed) Jason had alrerady finished his senior year. However, he was forced to miss his graduation ceremony so that they could immediatly go to NY to start the treatment program.

When they started looking closer they found hundreds of tumors throughout his abdomen from just below his rib cage all the way to his groin. To combat this Jason was subjected to 2-3 chemo and/or radiation sessions per week for 6-8 weeks at a time followed by surgeries to remove the cancerous tumors. He has had much of his mid section removed in order to get rid of the cancer. In the last year he has had only 3-4 breaks from chemo and or surgery lasting only 2-3 weeks at a time.

This kid is an inspiration to me. Throught this last year he has keept his mood positive and always looked forward to the future. Only one time did he fall into a depressive state and that was because he was afraid of the next surgery. One of the possible complications was his manhood failing to function after said surgery. (not sure but I assume everything came out ok after that one)

Through all of this my friend has spent almost all money not absolutely needed for bills on traveling from Nevada to NY 1, and if possible 2 times per month to spend time with his son. Now almost a year later Jason is going home to Nevada with his cancer in remisison and I want to be able to do something for them.

So time to get to the point. Before this happened my buddy purchased a 80s or early 90s Suburban with a 454 that has a solid built bottom end but all factory spec top end. His plan for this was a father son graduation project. They were going to tear the top end down and install a set of performance or worked heads with a performance cam, intake, and carbeurator. Then they were going to put the engine and running gear in his 65 Chevy stepside 4X4 that his dad gave him. (My buddies dad got the truck in 67 and its been built and rebuilt a couple times over the years it is supposed to be Jasons eventually)

Because of the medical bills and travel expenses they don't have the money to do it and I know both of them would love to be able to finish the project together when Jason comes home in the next month or so.

I have found what I think is a decent cam kit, the comp cam "Big Mother Thumper" with timing chain, lifters, and springs.

What im looking for now is a source for a good set of heads with the large oval ports. Im not a Chevy guy any more and never was a Big Block guy so im COMPLETELY out of my realm. When I search online all I can find is aftermarket, bare factory, or unknown condition. I need to know where I can find a good price with known quality for a set of heads that are ready to be installed and ran.

If anyone has ties to a machine shop or knows of any reputable sources for inexpensive BBC heads that wont fail and offer a performance bump, please let me know eithe rin here or via PM. Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

Necrotizing

Established Member
It's my understanding that you can drill steam holes in a 350 head to use on 400 blocks. That's the only difference from what I remember with my research. You could probably find a set of Bowties on eBay or such. I've got a set of Bowtie Phase 2's sitting in my shed that need a rebuild. I was going to put them on my Camaro years ago but bought a set of ported heads offor a WS6 owner instead. They offer a decent upgrade, but I heard the newer Mexican made vortecs are being used commonly now.

Blu13gt

Established Member
This was about the time he got sick.
When diagnosed.jpg

1-2 Months into treatment
Aug 2016.jpg

Necrotizing

Established Member
Oops. That's my fault.

What is your price range? I can try to help you out with looking around online. I'll also give my friend who works at GMC a text and see if his old mentor has or knows anyone. It's for a good cause in my opinion. So I don't mind making a few calls to see if I can grab you a lead. Obviously I'm not going to try and rob you at the highest price you give me in the range. But if I find some in your range I'd be glad to exchange numbers between you and whoever has them.

Last edited:

Blu13gt

Established Member
Im trying to keep it about 500 for heads with valves. But i need them to be ready to be dropped on. Only change i want them to have to make is to swap the valve springs for the ones in the cam kit.

Necrotizing

Established Member
I made a call and my buddy that works at GMC is going to ask his mentor and our other friend that owns a shop. Our friend that owns a shop actually just got done building a 454 for a customer. I didn't tell him a price, just asked if he would see if anyone had some and to ask what they want for them. I'll let you know if I hear from him and if I find anything online as well.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Hey I appreciate it. I figured posting here might get me a good response. As much as our community gets a bad wrap fpr acting elitist in the 4 years since i got my mustang i have seen that for the most part guys that own them are just as helpful as the guys in the DSM community.

Necrotizing

Established Member
Just going to tell you that I haven't seen anything in your price range online that are ready to drop on. Haven't heard anything around or through my friend who works at GMC either. Figured I'd let you know. Hopefully you'll find some. I'll still be on the lookout just in case.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Hey thanks for trying man. This has been put on hold. Jason started having stomach pains again and the doctors did another scan to find that the sarcoma has returned and will require another 6 months-1 year of treatments to combat.
This is a real kick in the nuts to us all. Going to use the engine funds for travel and medical expenses as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread