Looking for some ET Street Drag Tires for 17" rims

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
I'm looking at some new tires for my 17" rims. I don't want to buy a spare set of rims for the track so no recommendation of spare rims or tires "I run it how I brung it." I only drive the car when it is bright and sunny outside... no rain.
I have BFG Drag Radials, but the traction at the track is inconsistent and I'm looking at either Mickey Thompson ET Drag Tires. Are they worth getting on 17" rims or should I stick with the drag radial?

Mickey Thompson
ET Street, LT 26.00 x 11.50-17, Bias-Ply, M5 Compound, Blackwall
Mickey Thompson 3743 - Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
They are et streets, I had them on my 03gt with a 100 shot, first time out cut 1.7 60ft times bogging badly with a road race suspension. They hook alot better than drag radials and have a softer sidewall so they are more forgiving on the launch. The soft sidewall makes them a little unstable at high speeds with low pressure in them, like a slick. They are not radials and won't last long though.

JP96cobra

Established Member
I've run the ET street and the MT drag radial at the track on a 17" rim. The Et Street is definitely better but you really have to air them down at the track to get the most out of them. I would cut low 1.6 60 ft on a shitty track in Hawaii with the ET street so with a better track I could have hit a 1.5 60ft.

I wouldnt recommend them for the street because a couple uses at the track they are basically a slick. Also you need to put air in the tire after you leave the track every time. When you air these down to be effective they also slip on the rim a bit so your tire will never be balanced properly.

I run a Mt drag radial for the street/ track but also have the ET streets on a separate set of rims.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
I'm looking to run them all the time street/strip and figured since they are a DOT approved tire this would be fine. I only go to the strip 3-4 times a year. The car is only driven when it is completely dry outside and no chance of rain.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
ET Streets are not the best for everyday driving. More of a track slick than a road tire.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
FWIW someone local here cut a 1.5x 60 foot on a 40 series NT05R :)

And the small tire drag radial guys are cutting deep 1.20's on M/T 275/60's... the 17" versions aren't quite that sticky but neither are the 17" bias ply's...

Going from a BFG Dr to a NT05R is a night/day difference.. I likey the Nitto's :) And they don't handle bad in the rain LOL

19984V

Established Member
I have 275/40/17 MT street E/Ts. I LOVE them. Be careful when driving in rain, its not too terrible. Be smart about them thats it. Tread life kinda sucks, but thats what you get. They hook like glue on the street, and even better on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread