Looking for Opinions: 94/95 vs 96-98

cardinales15

Established Member
I was hoping to get your opinions on which style of Cobra you feel is more fun and enjoyable. I have been looking for the right Cobra for 3 months now. I have $9,000 total to spend on a car, taxes, registration and mods. I have been going back and forth between the two engines, but I just can't decide. I can get a stock to mild 5.0L for around $6,000 then have extra money to spend on mods or I can get a stock to mild 4.6L for around $8,000 and have almost nothing to spend on mods.

I will be going to the track maybe once a year at most. I don't do any other type of racing. I just want something fun to drive on the sunny days.

My top five must do mods are 1) gears 2) shifter 3) springs/shocks 4) exhaust 5) wheels

So what do you think? Which engine is more fun to drive on sunny days cruising around town and hitting the country roads?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mystical

Established Member
If you don't plan on heavily modifying, 4V FTW! Gears and exhaust will make them pretty quick. You would need motor work to make the 5L perform comparably.

Mikes96SVT

Banned
OR you can look in the cobra's F/S section and find an already modded one for that price, the economy is down, now is the time to buy. But along with ^ 4V FTMFW

uofipilot

Established Member
4 valve for sure. They're a blast to drive. I also have a 90 Mark VII with a 5.0 HO. Granted it's not the same as the Cobra 5.0 and its pushing a 4,000+ pound Mark, but the 4v is just way more responsive and fun. Plus the sound of a 4v at 6500 rpm is sex.

CJK440

Established Member
OR you can look in the cobra's F/S section and find an already modded one for that price, the economy is down, now is the time to buy. But along with ^ 4V FTMFW

Yup, I just picked up a very clean 50k mile highly modded triple black vert with an all aftermarket suspension, procharged and intercooled for $10k.

Check Craigslist and no-sales on ebay too.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

This. Buy a Cobra that already has a slew of mods done. You can find a full bolt on 96-98 Cobra for 6-8k in the market section. Just check it every day or every other day for a few weeks and a really good deal will come up.

DOHC 4V 4.6>>>>>>>>>>push rod 5.0. Stock for stock and full bolt on for full bolt on. The 94-95 Cobra's need all the bolt ons and a HCI swap in order to keep up with the full bolt on 96-98 Cobra's.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
even though the 5.0 are the red headed stepchildren, i still wouldnt dump it for the 96-98... not bashing anyones, i love them all, but something about the slow heavy pig, i love.. they have always been kinda a rare find around here.. guess thats why i love it so much. but, if i was to get a 4v.. i think id pick up a 99-01. but all are equally fun to drive, but the 4v does make more power out of the box

Mustang Buster

Established Member
Yup, I just picked up a very clean 50k mile highly modded triple black vert with an all aftermarket suspension, procharged and intercooled for $10k.

Check Craigslist and no-sales on ebay too.

Yep, that is the way to go. I recently picked up a near mint 47K mile 98 BAB Vert with suspension, exhaust, and a 1.7L KB from the original owner for $10K as well. Good deals are out there for sure. Happy Hunting!

Dubbsy

Go big or go broke.
Established Member
the 4v does make more power out of the box

This is the only real solid reason to buy a 4V instead of the 5.0L in my opinion. If you're limited to what you're going to be able to do to the car after the purchase - get a 4V.

Personally, I planned for a 4V until I found a 95 that met my criteria that was 500 miles closer than the next car I was looking at.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
4v and for the price built ones are going for or even 03-04 swapped ones you are going to get a killer deal. Good luck!

cardinales15

Established Member
Sounds like the overwhelming majority of folks are recommending the 4V. Thank you all for your input. I will look for a 96-98. Hopefully I can find something with some of the mods I want for around $8000.

fox5oh

OVERWEIGHT COBRA
Established Member
VVell.. I loved my 94 cobra vvhen it didnt have the vortech..... vvith just a cold air intake and 65mm throttle body it made 249 hp and 291 torque... I prefer the hood, decklid, and cobra rear bumper covers on the 96+98's.. The 4v are expensive to work on compared to the 5.0's.. Tough call in my opinion...

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
i paid $2500 for my '94 which leaves me with plenty of money for a boss block 331 and a blower. i personally like both and prefer the sound of the 4v motor but i got a '94 because there is no emission laws for 1995 down vehicles here in mass. check into your inspection laws before you purchase.

boduke0220

Established Member
im looking for one as well and from what ive found, you can get some decent ones with 90k-110k miles and a good amount of bolt ons for 6000-8000.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i love my 97. they are all fun toys though. i'd say whichever one you can get a better deal on, you should go with it.

cbramblett02

Established Member
man thats a tough decision. the 5.0 is a lot cheaper to work on and bolt-ons are so easy to come by, but the 4v is just FUN the sound is different and like most here said it has better numbers out of the box and the engine weighs less and that is always a plus right? btw mine is or sale the add is in the market section as 97 cobra with small issues (needs interior and heater core)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread