Looking for New Rear Tires - Are M/T ET Streets a Bad Idea on a Manual Car?

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to change my tire setup a bit, I'm currently pushing 600+ to the wheels with suspension mods so I'd like something that can hook well from a dig, and was thinking of trying out some drag radials with say some Pilot SuperSports up front.

My car has a 3.31 Rear End with the Torsen (Previously 3.73), and I was thinking of picking up some 305/35/18 or 305/40/18 M/T Street Radials.

I've heard some mixed things about using radials on a manual car, but I want something that is streetable and drives smooth on less than ideal roads. I won't be driving in the rain at all so that's not a concern, and Bias-Ply seems to be overkill for a street car and sounds better for Strip only.

Angry50

Established Member
i have a few friends that daily drive 15 inch et streets. if you want traction from a dig with 600+ that is probably your best bet. i dont know how often but im sure you seen the talk about radials and manuals snapping axle tubes. even happened to AM

evil281

Established Member
If you are just using the car on the street I think welding the axle tubes with the radials would be ok. I can't imagine regular public streets being so clean that you would have enough grip to shock the drivetrain like you would on a prepped track.

I know its still probably a risk of some kind but again welded tubes should definately help.

I'll be installing my VMP in the next couple weeks. I have already welded my axle tubes because I run drag radials right now with yukon trac lok dif.

We will see if I cause any damage.

Last edited:

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Yeah, welded tubes sounds like a cheaper route to go. I'm gonna call my local Mustang shop and get a quote on that.

It's not like I'm planning to launch it all the time from zero like you would on a 1/4 mile... But I would like to be able to hook from a dig at 20-30.

q6543

Established Member
Scrap the drag radials, either bias ply et streets or stiffwall et drags. 3.31 gear stick car and ill blow the drag radials and bias plys right off.

the difference is the bias plys will recover and hold with the extra heat, the radials just keep on spinnin. 600 plus like you.

blownby

Established Member
my 305/35 19 nitto nt05's hook really weell with 649 rwhp!

Yeah I can't drop clutch in first and go and expect to hook, but in second and stuff they hold unless low 70's air.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
All the guys in the Terminator forums swear by the Toyo r888

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I'm actually running R888's now I should mention lol. They do hook up pretty well but my rears are already just about shot after a day of road coursing and some spirited launches. I wish I would have gone with more sidewall, running 295/30/18's in front and rear. And I'm really not a fan of the way the fronts feel, it's really floaty and is unstable at higher speeds.

I'm having new Steed balljoints and a bumpsteer kit installed next, so we'll see how that goes first. Just was looking to try something different out instead of R-Compounds.

Mercuryfox50

Established Member
The Mickey Thompson P305/40R18 ET Street S/S (90000024572) will handle well on the street with the steel-belted radial construction and has the proven R2 compound for traction at the strip.
On a manual application, you will more than likely need to slip the clutch a bit... the radial does not like the shock of a clutch.
The ET Street S/S is basically the same tire as the ET Street Radial however the tread void has been reconfigured to provide improved hydroplane resistance over the ET Street Radial.
Pair this with a Mickey Thompson Street Comp in the front!

The ultimate D.O.T. strip performance on an '05 to '14 manual Mustang would be the bias-ply Mickey Thompson 28X11.50-15LT ET Street R (90000024643) with sway bar relocation brackets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread