Looking for new DD. ~$15,000

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
A customer of ours and a family friend told me today that he wanted to buy my car for his nephew. It has a buyback title so I planned on not being able to sell it and driving it into the ground. Well, if he's ok with the title and we can agree on money then I'm gonna be in the market for a new DD.

I would like to think I would have AT LEAST $12,000, hopefully more towards $15,000 because it does have a few grand invested in aftermarket and I don't think they're the type of family who realizes there's no resale on aftermarket parts. He saw the black 20's and drooled.

Anyways, not sure which direction I want to go with the next car. I have a few different ideas floating around. NOTE: Age is not really a huge issue as long as it's 2000+. Lower the mileage the better but $12-$15,000 doesn't really put me in a position to gripe.

A. Comfortable cruiser i.e. Audi (There's a B5 S4 for sale 10 minutes from my house well within my price range, 70k miles), Mercedes sedan (02-03 C/E class?), etc.

B. Mid-size SUV i.e. Cadillac SRX, Jeep Cherokee, etc.

C. Performance car. Only 2 requirements for this: Can't ride like Fred Flinstone's car and it will be driven in winter and Cleveland winters are pretty harsh so either FWD (boo!) or AWD. 03-04 WRX?

So the range is pretty wide. I'm saving for a house so cars and the mod bug are kinda being put on the back burner. I don't wanna be one of those 22 year olds with 3 badass cars but a bedroom in their parent's basement.

Last thing, no preference on foreign or domestic.

Ready! Go!

Last edited:

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
'06 escape hybrids can be had for around 12k with under 70000 miles

We had a regular escape until my sister wrecked it. It was a good car but I couldn't get over how cheap it felt inside. Within a month of ownership 3 plastic panels had to be put back on.

I just feel like I can get better value for the money.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
i was gonna say you can pick up really nice audi A4's for dirt cheap, there is a beautiful black '98 by me that needs a new timing belt and thats it for $2,900!!! but you can still get newer ones for the price you are going with. do you just want a car or would you like a truck? '01 and up F150 supercrews are the best bang for your buck trucks! comfortable and have plenty of room. plus they get good gas mileage after the usual intake/exhaust mod :)

i would say if i were you i would pick up an HD F150 but keep in mind those are 2wd so......

just pick up a 4x4 truck and be done

Last edited:

chargedcobra03

Living my life
Established Member
i bought the wifey a 07 ford fusion sel v-6 for 15k last year with 32k miles fully loaded. great car, good gas milage, Great stereo and everything. good buy in my book plus it doent look that bad with the nicer factory rims i got with it (17" split 5 spoke).

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I would not buy an Audi with 50K+ miles without a warranty. I know of many that start to have reoccuring problems when they get near 70K. I know of a few that held together well into 100K+ but they are the minority.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
You can get a nice 2000-2005 Lexus IS/ES/LS series in that price range.
I agree, great car's for the money. Nice comfortable car's you cant go wrong here. Also, these car's will brake (not in the recent recall's), so you have no worries in that department.
Get an 05-06 GTO. They are out there for that money.
:lol1: I didnt know GTO's were FWD :lol:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
C5
LS2 GTO
S4
MAZDASPEED6
MAZDASPEED3 if you are ok w/FWD.
C. Performance car. Only 2 requirements for this: Can't ride like Fred Flinstone's car and it will be driven in winter and Cleveland winters are pretty harsh so either FWD (boo!) or AWD. 03-04 WRX?
:nonono: Some people still seem to amaze me...... :nonono:

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member

I've heard people say the Legacy GT is almost the same car as a WRX or STi. Can you explain exactly how they're similar? Same motor? Similar motor? Drivetrain?

I'm gonna look into Lexus too. Completely forgot about them. :shrug:

The B5 S4 down the street is probably out. It has 87,000 miles and the last thing I need is THOSE turbos to take a shit.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
i bought the wifey a 07 ford fusion sel v-6 for 15k last year with 32k miles fully loaded. great car, good gas milage, Great stereo and everything. good buy in my book plus it doent look that bad with the nicer factory rims i got with it (17" split 5 spoke).

I didn't think fusions could be had at that price. Definitely an option.

I don't know much about these except that they're AWD hatchbacks with a V6, I think. What's their story?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I've heard people say the Legacy GT is almost the same car as a WRX or STi. Can you explain exactly how they're similar? Same motor? Similar motor? Drivetrain?

I'm gonna look into Lexus too. Completely forgot about them. :shrug:

The B5 S4 down the street is probably out. It has 87,000 miles and the last thing I need is THOSE turbos to take a shit.
The Legacy GT has the STI engine except the Turbo is a bit smaller (300hp vs 250). Everything else is pretty much the same thing (save for the better track suspension on the STI) but the Legacy interior is a lot nicer, leather seats, heated seats, some come with the Navi equipped (2006 and up). Also dont remember but I think in some years or limited edition GT's came with HID's, most dont. They are great car's, cant beat the AWD either.

Users who are viewing this thread