Looking for insight on Maryland Traffic Ticket

FranticFocus05

Established Member
On 1/19 I was pulled over leaving work in Charles County and given a warning for ID LIGHT INOPERATIVE as well as a ticket for DRIVING TO DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY WITHOUT REQUIRED LICENSE AND AUTHORIZATION Charge: Article:TA Sec:16 Sub-Sec:101 Para:A

The ticket is a "must appear" with 5 points and I am waiting the court date. I am currently looking to find a lawyer in the area to speak with but before I do I was looking to get some insight on the possible charges that could result from this.

The officer allowed me to leave the vehicle and have a coworker pick me up to later return with someone else to get the truck. I have since renewed my license and hold a valid drivers license in the state of VA and my current driving points are +2.

Thanks for any advice/input

Last edited:

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member
Talk/hire a lawyer. If you had been stopped in MoCo, you'd have to pay the light ticket and they would drop the no license since you "fixed" your problem.
It is nice you did not have to pay for a tow...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
how far out of date was your license? i am assuming it was not suspended. speaking to a lawyer is a good idea but you probably dont need to hire one. if you git the light fixed and your license was only expired for a few weeks, and you have that fixed you will likely have both dismissed. dress nice and be apologetic. if your license was several months or more out of date you may have to eat the fine. IIRC points from MD do not transfer over to VA but the record does.

On 1/19 I was pulled over leaving work in Charles County and given a warning for ID LIGHT INOPERATIVE as well as a ticket for DRIVING TO DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLE ON HIGHWAY WITHOUT REQUIRED LICENSE AND AUTHORIZATION Charge: Article:TA Sec:16 Sub-Sec:101 Para:A

The ticket is a "must appear" with 5 points and I am waiting the court date. I am currently looking to find a lawyer in the area to speak with but before I do I was looking to get some insight on the possible charges that could result from this.

The officer allowed me to leave the vehicle and have a coworker pick me up to later return with someone else to get the truck. I have since renewed my license and hold a valid drivers license in the state of VA and my current driving points are +2.

Thanks for any advice/input

FranticFocus05

Established Member
License was expired for quite a while... not weeks or months but years :bash: :poke: no explanation for that. I don’t mind paying a heavy fine because I was in the wrong big time. I was/am worried because of the length of time if that could impose something worse.

The deputy thankfully allowed me to move the vehicle into a gas station parking lot to wait for a ride and leave the vehicle for someone to pick up. While we were waiting in the parking lot I did check my tag light and I only have one light not two that illuminate the plate and it is functional. So that was never inoperative and has been "fixed".

The first day I could get to the Virginia DMV was the 23rd and I got everything squared away that day and reissued. I will see what a lawyer says in the upcoming couple of days. Thank you for the information TonyUMD and RDJ.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
A lot of Judges will not let you plea or fight without an attorney. I have a good friend of mine who you can talk to. He will not charge unless you decide to use his services in court. He is a good defense attorney and friend of mine, he is well known in Montgomery County. Send me a PM if you need further.

FranticFocus05

Established Member
Just wanted to post a follow up...

Went to court with my lawyer, spoke with the prosecutor, they are clearing the charges and I and doing one day community service in May.

Thank you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread