looking for input on air intakes...

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
i was out and about and had a conversation with a guy at a shop. we got on the subject of some work i am planning on doing with throttle body and tune. he kept saying over and over that you need to go with one of the aftermarket intakes to get real gains. i told him that i had the frpp resonator delete and was going with the 65mm frpp throttle body and a dyno tune. he kept saying i was wasting my money if i didn't go with an aftermarket intake. jlt or steeda, etc.

my logic is that as long as there isn't major air flow deflection or alteration of path of flow... and there is no restriction of air flow from the intake opening to the throttle body opening... there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference from one intake to another.

meaning that the frpp throttle body is a 65mm bore. calculated out, total area of about 6636 mm in the throttle body opening. the frpp resonator delete has 4-5" opening at the intake. total area at the intake is 8200 mm or greater. no restriction in the flow as the area of the air coming in is larger than the area it goes to at the throttle body. there may be a small amount of deviation or +/- a couple hp depending on getting the perfect flow with no cavitation... but logic would say that the intake isn't going to make or break the setup.

is my logic off and math off... or am i fairly on point with my thought process? this guy got me 2nd guessing myself! lol!

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Wow, and to think I based my last CAI on the fact it came with a BLUE filter to match my stripes....

Do people base mods on performance and specs?

Damn, maybe I should return my Bob's Oil separators. ( they have blue and red fittings you know- match my car)

Users who are viewing this thread