Looking for info on the hydroboost brake booster on my '97 Cobra

smaring

I'm waiting for a new master brake cylinder to show up and looking at my hydroboost unit. Its really rather embarrassing compared to the rest of the engine compartment. Its rusted to crap on the outside. Does anybody know exactly what the model of this unit is and whether there are any rebuild kits and instructions for doing so? I'd love to be able to clean it up and powder coat it, or at the very least, paint it. I've heard that the cylinder may contain a pressurized gas, but I've never heard any discussion about whether that is even replaceable w/o some sort of advanced tooling. I can find seal kits for Chevys and GMs, but not found one for a Ford.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve
Titusville, FL

hydroboost.png

SVTurbo

Established Member
I just had my 24 year old hydroboost start leaking a couple weeks ago. So I initially attempted to rebuild it using a kit off ebay. The piston seal requires a special tool to install it correctly. I didn' have the tool but gave it a try anyway. It sheared the seal off as I was pushing the assembly back together. So I threw in the towel and ordered a reman unit. So yes you can, but suggest using the suggested seal tool. Unfortunately (or is it ironically?) I had just repainted the old unit a shiny black when it decided to start leaking.

Users who are viewing this thread