Looking for info on K-member kits for my 03...

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
Hearing bad storys of noisy k members..Dont want this thing to sound like its coming apart..Anyone have any tech or info links to good frontend kits? Leaning towards PA or Pre Fab..Basically the same company, UPR is a possibility as well...

03RedCobra

Established Member
Hey there Donnie.

Well, I myself have the Maximum Motorsports K-member, A-arms, adjustable tie-rod ends, and coilovers on the front of my '03. I had originally been setting up the car for road-course racing, but changed over to drag after realizing how expensive it was to run on a proper road-course !! That's why I have all that on the front. I need to change the Hypercoil spring rate on the coilovers eventually. The ones on now are 350# springs, and from what I understand, the optimal coilover rate for drag-racing is somewhere between 150-180#.

Now, the ride is Excellent, and not noisy at all. I've heard that the AJE K-member is inexpensive, but it is REALLY loud. A few guys over on the STLMustangs board actually ended up taking thier K-members OFF because they were so loud !! There is the griggs setup as well, but I understand that it is noisy as well. So, even though the Maximum Motorsports K-member is by far the most expensive, in my opinion it is a Great choice for street/strip car.

The one thing about purchasing the MM K-member is that you HAVE to install the oil-relocation kit which is about another 300-dollars and some labor as well. It's because the K-member sits down a little bit further than the Stock and other aftermarket k-members.

So, you can save some money and go with any other brand besides the Maximum Motorsports, but then you run the chance that you won't like it, but, it is pretty inexpensive and retains the stock symmetry of the front end. I've never heard anyone complain bad about the Maximum Motorsports K-member.

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
Thanks for the info, Ill look into the MM kit..Dont mind the extra work if the product is better..Just dont want all the noise issues, I plan on street thrashing this thing and TRYING to run down an Auto 03 I keep hearing about.. :pepper:

03RedCobra

Established Member
HouseSVT said:
......and TRYING to run down an Auto 03 I keep hearing about.. :pepper:

Hmmmmmmm......who would that be ??? :shrug: MUST be that guy named Reggie that bought 03Steve's blue Cobra !!! Couldn't be me....Mine is "stock" !! ;-)

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
03RedCobra said:
Hmmmmmmm......who would that be ??? :shrug: MUST be that guy named Reggie that bought 03Steve's blue Cobra !!! Couldn't be me....Mine is "stock" !! ;-)
Could be, but I was thinking this one was more of a maroon color or something.. :beer:

HouseSVT

Searching for 03...
Established Member
So if the optimal spring rate for street/strip is 150-180#, how is the 350# on the street?? Got to be stiff...Found a complete UPR kit for $600, new in the boxes and comes with the 175# springs..Anyone have an opinion of their products?

Last edited:

davidsk5018

Established Member
HouseSVT said:
So if the optimal spring rate for street/strip is 150-180#, how is the 350# on the street?? Got to be stiff...Found a complete UPR kit for $600, new in the boxes and comes with the 175# springs..Anyone have an opinion of their products?

Yeah, the company pretty much rips other companies off, and copies their products from what I hear. I don't think many people like UPR......

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
davidsk5018 said:
Yeah, the company pretty much rips other companies off, and copies their products from what I hear. I don't think many people like UPR......

Unauthorized Product Reproducers

03RedCobra

Established Member
HouseSVT said:
So if the optimal spring rate for street/strip is 150-180#, how is the 350# on the street?? Got to be stiff...

Well, the 350# spring rate is optimal for the street. I will have problems raising the front end up at the dragstrip though with that rate. Even with taking off the front swaybar. So, I'm going to have to jump down to the lower rate.

Now, let me tell you what, with that 350# on the front coilovers, and 500# on the rear coilovers (when I had the IRS), that car would HUG the road !! I could take a corner without even having to put on the brakes, and I could steer the car through the turn with one finger if I wanted to. I could take on-ramps at 60-70 MPH without the car leaning at all. It was DEFINITELY ready for the road-course !! But, it's now a street/strip car, so, the 350# rate in the front has to go.

Users who are viewing this thread