Looking for Home Theater advise.

myrare1

Established Member
I am getting ready to buy this setup:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=858

to go with this tv:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/amsus/hitachi57f510.html

This is my first home theater system and I am a little hesitant to listen to the salesman at the store since he seems to want to sell me the most expensive units they have. I was looking at Onkyo and Denon, is there something else out there I should be looking at? Since the sub is powered will I be okay with just the reciever to power everything else? Since I will be listening to music as well as watching movies with the system I want to make sure that it sounds good no matter what I am doing with it. Last question, I know wire makes a big difference so is there a better brand than others?

Thanks

03DOHC

Established Member
Holy crap that looks like a nice speaker system! Klipsch does sound nice. :beer:

I just purchased an Onkyo HT-S770S surround sound system and I am very happy with it. Movies sound spectacular. Maybe not as good as a $2000+ system, but I got it at Fry's for $450. I spent another $50 for 16 gauge speaker wire and probably $75-$100 on component cables for the DVD, etc.

My advice? Go to the store and listen to some systems. Do some research on the internet, let your ears decide, and don't let the salesman push something on you.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Klipsch is awesome, I have a old pair of LaScalas and OMG.
However I put my home theater system together, Parts of JVC, Sherwood, Acoustic research and others. Klipsch is the only package system I would probably buy. They're just expensive. I really like the 7 series.

Last edited:

01cobra2020

Established Member
Can't really go wrong with Klipsch, they're probably one of the last choices before you cross over into the extremely highend stuff (ie: serveral thousands for 1 speaker).

I have a pair of the RF-7's and the rest of the surround/sub system with a HK receiver and amp - sounds great. Just make sure you get good cables, it made a world of difference with the RF-7's.

sjsfiveo

Established Member
I have a klipsch speakers and a denon receiver and could not be more pleased with them. The best way to make sure you would be happy is to hear them in person. As far a wire just buy some good stuff don't get crazy I did and I spent so much money on cables it got stupid and I cant tell the difference. Remember there are a lot of people that are trying to justify the high dollars they charge for all this AV. equipment. Also is that link for the TV were you are going to buy it from I did a quick goggle search and found it $400 cheaper.

Steve :coolman:

myrare1

Established Member
Thanks for all of the comments.

Steve, I already have the tv, I bought it last month for $1600, that was just a link to show what tv I was pairing the speakers up with. I do appreciate you looking though, that was a nice gesture. I was looking the the RF-7 line but I was thinking it is more for music and not watching tv and/or movies. I thought the 35's would be a little more versitile. Is this not true? I am looking for there best system for both tv/movies and music. I listened to the 35's at the store and they sounded great but I don't think they had the 7's.

Anyone else have any advice or comments?

01cobra2020

Established Member
myrare1 said:

Steve, I already have the tv, I bought it last month for $1600, that was just a link to show what tv I was pairing the speakers up with. I do appreciate you looking though, that was a nice gesture. I was looking the the RF-7 line but I was thinking it is more for music and not watching tv and/or movies. I thought the 35's would be a little more versitile. Is this not true? I am looking for there best system for both tv/movies and music. I listened to the 35's at the store and they sounded great but I don't think they had the 7's.

I think the RF-7's are great for movies and music. Granted my receiver is setup to handle the two entirely different. If you have an Ultimate Electronics store near you they should have them in stock to listen to. The main difference is just the amount of power the RF-7's can handle, though most standard receivers won't do them justice w/o a good amp.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I have an older set of klipsch speakers (kg 3.5) with a klipsch center channel (sc-1) and the corresponding rear channels (ss-1). I bought the center and rears from my wife's uncle for cheap ($125.00). I have that setup coupled with a Yamaha natural sound RX-V670 receiver. It sounds really good. If and when I buy my new theater setup I'm getting the RF-25 or RF-35 for my basement (when finished). My neighbor has a DLP projector on a 110" screen that has a really clear picture. It is one of the lower end HD projectors but still has a great picture. As far as space savings goes, I'm leaning that way.

Fast Willy

Established Member
Onkyo is a really nice brand. That is what I have in my house. I've had the speakers for like 6 or 7 years and they are still going strong. But if they are a little to expensive for you then go with JVC or BOSE.

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
myrare1 said:

You cant go wrong with RF-7, regardless I always looked at speakers as a long term investment, you can keep those speakers for a long time if you dont abuse them.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
sjsfiveo said:
I would stay away from Bose all name no performance.

Steve :rollseyes

IMHO if you are restricted space wise, Bose is the only way to go. Or if you're in an apartment/condo. But if you live in your own house and want to rattle the couch when you're watching a movie, then I agree you don't want a Bose system.

My .02 cents

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

montanagrog

Established Member
myrare1,

I have all Klipsch with Epic-CF4 as my base fronts, KG-1.5 as rear, KV-3 center speaker, and the KSW-200 sub. I power with a Yamaha RX-V870 amp. The system is 9 years old and is still clear and powerful. The one thing about Klipsch is they are very clear and percise in their top end speakers due to the cones.
I did run the big 'monster cable' for the fronts, and the lighter 'monster cable' for the rear and center channel. I did this due to I believe they made a difference on the music I listen to. If you are just going for movies and something with just a heavy base the difference probibly won't be noticeable.
I have a friend spend an amazing amount of money on Bose and high output amp, and was putting down the Klipsch and the Yamaha, so we had a big party one night out at an open warehouse. I told him to set up his system and I just put up the front Epics and the sub. It was amazing the difference in clearity of the speakers no matter what type of music was played.
As it was stated above, take your time and listen to many systems. A good sterio salesman will set up systems and change things around to help you get the sound you are looking for.

99hissss

Snake in the Gas
Established Member
I went with a Yamaha amp (w/all the digital imputs) and an awsome set of Paradigm high-end speakers with a kick-butt sub that'll rattle the windows. I've been very happy with all components involved. Just my 2cents!

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
One word, Bose. You can put together a home theater for between 2 and 3 thousand dollars that will drop people's jaws.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
When I buy my setup for my finished basement it will be the latest and greatest Yamaha home theater and Klipsch speakers. The setup I have now is 12 yrs. old and still rocks the house. Man, this new, high tech equipment is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread