Looking For A New Daily - 2014 Focus?

Steve1578

Established Member
So I've been looking at the focus as a new daily. I have a kid coming within the next week, so I'm looking for something spacious and economical. I know that the focus had a lot of transmission issues, but I think that earlier on. Any major issues with the 2014 model? I was looking at possibly getting a new ST, but the only way I'd do that is if I sold the cobra. I have no desire to do so and think this SE would be good enough for my uses. Just looking for opinions/experience. Price seems to be about right.

http://tom-masano.ebizautos.mobi/detail-2014-ford-focus-5dr_hatchback_se-used-14745066.html

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Have you looked at fusions? We just got a 2014 SE with 4000 miles (yes 4k) for 18k. More space for a child etc.

I'm really impressed with how it drives. If the new fusion ST feels the same I might end up trading the SHO when they come out.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Have you looked at fusions? We just got a 2014 SE with 4000 miles (yes 4k) for 18k. More space for a child etc.

I'm really impressed with how it drives. If the new fusion ST feels the same I might end up trading the SHO when they come out.

+1 on the fusion. I have only heard nothing but good about them

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm 6'2" and the focus is not spacious at all. There is no room for a human behind me. Just an FYI.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I had a 2012 se hatch sport that I loved, love my 16 st even more. That being said depends on your size, the focus is not a very big car inside. I would opt for the manual transmission unless you just have to have the auto. I know the early models had serious dct issues not sure if or when they cleared that up. Oh and if you can swing the extra for a used ST it is so much more car than a se.

*edit* I see you mentioned economical so maybe the ST isn't the way to go. My SE consistently got 33-38 mpg vs my ST is in the low 20s maybe even high teens although I drive 100% city now vs when I owned my SE

Last edited:

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Last time I spoke with our Ford service manager (Dec 2015) the DCT in the Focus was still an ongoing issue. Buy one at your own risk! Ask me how I know.... My wifes 2013 Focus with DCT is a total POS. They are looking at replacing the clutch packs in it AGAIN at 45k miles. Every day its an adventure in slipping clutches when she drives it.
I wouldn't consider the car spacious unless you are in the 150lb-180lb range. Every time I get in the car it reminds me of how much I need to lose some weight....

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd get a 5-speed <2014 Focus. The 2015+ haven't had the same issues.

$18k for a 2014 Fusion is way too much. I sell them for low teens all day long.

Steve1578

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll be taking a look at the fusions as well, seems like a lot of people really like them. I'll be stopping by my local ford dealer within the next few days. I'll let you guys know what my thoughts are.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I agree with the above OP look at Fusion's. We were in the same boat as you six years ago. Once we drove a Fusion after the Focus at the dealer there was no way we were taking the Focus home. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Definitely go for the fusion. The focus isn't going to have as much room as you think it will. It's very easy to fill up trunk space with a newborn with strollers, pack and plays, etc. on any kind of a trip.

I had a 2010 focus and a 2014 fusion when we had our newborn. The car seat fit in the back of the focus, but required the front seat to be all the way forward and straight up. The fusion had plenty of room for the car seat. The trunk in the fusion is much larger, too.

Klay

Established Member
Well, I have a 2013 Focus SE hatchback and I like it so far. Granted mines a manual, so no transmission issues. Other than being slow, I've liked how it drives. As for space, I guess it depends how big you are. I'm only 5'6, so space isn't an issue for me or my wife.

I will say though that I had a hard time finding a manual transmission focus.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I have a 2012 DCT hatch. No issues on my end and 103k miles. I know there are some with a real mechanical issue but I still believe it's all driving style for the majority of reported issues. Never felt unsafe or that it would leave me stranded. My dad's 2013 dct car grinds 1-2 nearly everytime but has yet to cause an issue.

I drive about 500 miles a week and average 38-40 mpg. Solid car imo and can be had dirt cheap.

No kids here, just haul the dogs around. Even with the hatch it could definitely use more space.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Another +1 for the Fusion platform. Its a great car, roomy and just ****ing solid. Mine is at 165k and going strong still.

slofoshow

Established Member
I also daily a 13 focus se hatch with a 5 speed. I bought the car outright for under 10k with less than 40k on the clock. It did take quite awhile to find a 5 speed but I would NOT settle for a DCT if you gave it to me. I drive roughly 80 miles a day and it consistently returns 36-39mpg. Granted I don't have children yet, the car is more than sufficient to carry my wife and dogs and dirt cheap to maintain. Up to you, nothing wrong with the fusion, very good car for the money esp. with children. Just my 2 cents.

AAG

Established Member
You are not going to want a Focus when dealing with a new kid (rear racing seat). That back seat is extremely tight. If you want to stick with Ford, go with a Fusion. If not, I'd go with a used '13-'14 Honda Accord. Great gas mileage and very roomy.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea, IMO go with a Fusion.

the new ones are nice, and the ecoboost engine is nice for a DD around town.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Didnt yours get hit pretty good? Does it feel the same post fix as before?

Yeah, they shouldve totaled it out but there were a bunch of shenanigans involved and they (progressive) were basically being cheap asses, so they opted to fix the car in lieu of paying the loan off since I had gap and due to the miles it was worth less than what I owed and it was hit by an uninsured/drunk driver with zero future or means to repay lol.

I had some tiny issues afterwards but Progressive handled them all. Little shit like slight wobble/vibe at 75mph, rear sensor not working, etc. I'm sure by the time the car went back three times for minor fixes they probably ended up paying in total what it wouldve been to just total it out right off the bat.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2014 Focus Titanium, and I love it. So far, 60K miles, no transmission problems. Only one failure so far: the throttle body failed. I had to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread