Looking for a muffler shop to install my Dr. Gas with cats.

kaos

Established Member
In the South Bay area near Los Angeles. I tried Chicane, but they didn't give me a good feeling about taking my car there. I went to another muffler place and complaineld that he was going to have to cut and weld the cats in place. It felt like it was going to be a chore for him. I do have one shop that can do it for and I know the guy, but he usually just works on regular cars. Is that something I should be worried about? He's just a little expensive, but at least I trust him.

Thanks

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Danny Bahn of DB Performance Engineering, Rosemead, CA. Well-known and informed Ford tuner who happens to have plenty of muffler install experience. Tel: 626-571-7126.

kaos

Established Member
Sorry to bug, but I saw Danny today and he can't do it. He says it's too much work and that it would cost more than the price I paid for the system.

Let me ask you guys this. If I install it without cats and then go find a place to make custom fit pipes for the cats. Danny told me most muffler shops don't do mandrel bends. Do you guys know what kind of shop I need to find? Do I need a machine shop or something like that?

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
to clarify, you have a dr.gas offroad x that you'd like to have cats put on? do you have just the crossover section or the whole system?

kaos

Established Member
Yep. I ordered the whole system plus cats from dr gas. The problem is that the cats won't fit on the pipes they sent so it's going to have to be cut, new piece is going to have to be made, and welded to fit the cats in.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
Yep. I ordered the whole system plus cats from dr gas. The problem is that the cats won't fit on the pipes they sent so it's going to have to be cut, new piece is going to have to be made, and welded to fit the cats in.

Try XMP.....they are very good at making things out of nothing :thumbsup: They are open tomorrow as well.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Perhaps Mike's Muffler Shop, 12222 Garvey Avenue, El Monte @ 626-443-5139. They do a lot of work for the import crowd.

kaos

Established Member
at least xmp said they would do it but it will be around 240. but at least finally someone who will do it. i'll see about mike's muffler and if it's that expensive i might have to return this and lose 20% on the restocking fee. oh well you win some and lose some.

thanks for your help.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
at least xmp said they would do it but it will be around 240. but at least finally someone who will do it. i'll see about mike's muffler and if it's that expensive i might have to return this and lose 20% on the restocking fee. oh well you win some and lose some.

thanks for your help.

Sorry Bro, but i should of told u to calll & talk to Eric.

They are work able in pricing :beer:

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member

that's strange that they sent you cats that don't fit the pipes. :bash: if they're differing diameters i think you've got a case for no restocking charge since it sounds like a mistake on their part.

kaos

Established Member
no the diameters are the same. the system is designed as off road and the way the pipe are bent there is no way the cats will fit in the pipe. what i'm trying to say is that there's no section of the pipe that is the same length as the cats. let me know if that makes sense.

stang99

If you find a shop with a mandrel bender that is really good, let us all know since most muffler shops can't do good bends.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
doh. i get ya. aw man, that sucks! by the time it's on there it'll have cost twice as much. maybe the 20% restocking and getting something you know that'll fit might be a more workable solution. :(

kaos

Established Member
you got it tetge.

i'm not gonna quit just yet, so i'll keep looking and hopefully i'll find something.

kaos

Established Member
holy sheet! i think labree might be the ticket. i just talked to them and he was like cool. 60 bucks per hour and he says he's the only mandrel bender in southern california. don't know if it's true or not but who cares.

thank you.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
holy sheet! i think labree might be the ticket. i just talked to them and he was like cool. 60 bucks per hour and he says he's the only mandrel bender in southern california. don't know if it's true or not but who cares.

thank you.

Gotta let us know bro :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread