Looking For a Local Shop To Fix My Rear End

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
The rear end on my 2000 GT took a dive about a week ago, not sure if it's just the gears or if the diff broke as well. I'm looking for a shop that will install aftermarket gears. I want to go with 373's and I can't find a shop anywhere that will install gears unless they're the factory originals. I'd much rather buy the aftermarket gears myself and bring them in, but I can't find a place that will do that either. Honestly, I don't care who buys them, me or them, I just want 373's and I want them done right.

I'm kind of desperate here, I'm gonna be needing to throw my car in the shop when my taxes come in about 2-3 weeks from now. I live in the Springfield, Massachusetts area, and I'd be willing to travel about 20-30 miles in any direction to get this done. I'd really hate to get stuck throwing 327's in, so any recommendations to a shop that will accommodate my needs are greatly appreciated.

xxxmach1xxx

call Pro Tree Performance and Dyno....guys name is Dana, hes in Hudson, NH. I know its a drive. but he is one of the few i would trust with doing gears.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
There is a shop in Agawam called Gaunt's Peformance. I have heard good feedback about them. My first choice would be CE Racing in Milford.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Thanks a lot guys, I need this info like you wouldn't believe. I really don't have the money to throw away, and unfortunately I don't trust myself to do the job. I've read that it's really easy to get it wrong if you've never done it before.

I'll check those places out and get some estimates. If anyone else has any other suggestions don't hesitate to shout'em out.

Tank5879

Established Member
mitchell differential is highly recommended by pretty much everyone in central mass....they are in shrewsbury

candyroush

Established Member
call Pro Tree Performance and Dyno....guys name is Dana, hes in Hudson, NH. I know its a drive. but he is one of the few i would trust with doing gears.
+1

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I'm gonna get a hold of Gaunt's Performance first, as they're the closest to me. I wish I could go as far as Milford, but I can't afford to trailer my stang that far. Money is tight. I'll be sure to take a drive over there if I need any other work done though. I might get some juice installed before the end of this summer and CE seems to be very highly regarded.

I hope Gaunts can hook me up. I'm hoping they'll install gears that I bring in, because that would be the most ideal financial move for me, and I can't stand these 327's.

Thanks again guys, I'd be screwed without your help.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
CE is the best, plain and simple not to mention his turnaround time is faster than anyone other than Tube Chassis. Hands down the top shop in MA for mustangs.

I knew Gaunts was out by you thats why I suggested him. I don't know to many people out your way, but his feedback has always been positive.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
CE is the best, plain and simple not to mention his turnaround time is faster than anyone other than Tube Chassis. Hands down the top shop in MA for mustangs.

I knew Gaunts was out by you thats why I suggested him. I don't know to many people out your way, but his feedback has always been positive.

I'm gonna call Gaunt's today. I'm hopin he will install gears that I order. I can get the gears alone off the web for like $160, or $270 for the gears, speedo chip and Royal Purple oil. I was gonna get the Xcal3 with the gears but I can't work it into my budget. :( I really want that handheld tuner, lots of nice options.

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Eddie from Gaunt's quoted me $250 ballpark for labor. Not bad, was expecting more. Nice guy on the phone, had no problem with me bringin' my own gears in, said it's no problem at all. Sounds like a no-bullshit straight shooter. I like that.

There is a wild card though, I'm not sure if the differential was damaged as a result of the ring and pinion shittin the bed. How common is it for the differential to be damaged when the ring and pinion break? The car will still move under it's own power, but it doesn't sound good (obviously) and the girdle cover has what looks like bullet holes. Pieces of something shot right through the girdle, it's nuts. I'll post pics soon. I can't imagine the forces involved in something like this happening.

But anyway, the main question is does anyone know if the diff is usually affected by a rear end failure?

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
It is common. We just got done with a rear end job on a "hopped up" Chevy 1500 and it was a MESS inside. Have someone that knows what they are looking for pull the rear cover so you know the exact parts/costs before jumping into this.

Goodluck, Mat

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
That really sucks. That's at least $450 more just in parts. I'm so sick of being nickle and dimed. I'm gonna be so poor after this shit. I hope the price of labor doesn't go up too much if the diff needs replacing on top of the ring and pinion.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you want gears cheaper, I just paid $121 for mine thru Steve @ Tousley Ford. He is a member on here and offers us 10% over cost on any Ford parts.

snakebitten13

Established Member
Rear End

Ford 8.8 rear ends can be a tricky thing, and most shops say they have the right tools, only in the end to not have them, many shops use a guessing method to do rear end, it works for some time, but in the end they will end howling. I would recomend Kevin at MPE Racing in Whitman Ma, Kevin has done over 300 rear ends, and is a former Ford/Lincoln tech, he has all of the right tools to do the job and does it right the first time, the guys over at MPE have done many rear end installs and know what parts to use and not to, not all rear end kits are created equally, I would contact them if you want it done right the first time.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I have a ceiling of around $1300 to get this whole thing done, so getting it towed really far probably won't fit in the budget. It's a shame that most shops can't do rear ends correctly. To be honest, the way my luck is going lately, I wouldn't be surprised if I got it done and then it exploded all over the road the next day leaving me car-less for another 3 months. I can't even imagine what caused it to fowl up in the first place.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the suggestions guys. Hopefully one of them will end up giving me some good luck. Maybe I can somehow find a way to get my car out to one of these rear end guru's. Otherwise it's gonna be Gaunt's in Agawam or some other shop that'll convince me that they're competent.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I gotta question guys. Is this the right diff for my car? I've no idea what my spline count is. I'm guessing it's 31 but I don't want to be wrong.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M4204F318+01

Or this?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M4204F318C+01

Will any 31 spline diff work? And does it also need to work with the anti-lock exciter ring? I'm a total noob.

I'm also going to be needing a diff cover as well, because mine had shrapnel shoot out of it. I've seen some for around $150-$250, but then I came across this chrome one for $40? The difference in cost is immense. If I can get away with this $40 one I will, but not if you guys think it's junk.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=TD9465+01

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread