Looking for a good IPod Interface...

"It'll Run"

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Here is what I would do. Ive installed more ipods into cars that I can count.

Here is a cheap and very effective way to have perfectly clear sounding audio.

Hardwire FM modulator like this:

Pyle (PLMD3) 7 Channel FM Wired Stereo FM Modulator - Audio - GrabCart Compare and Buy Automotive

Ipod adapter

IPOD TOUCH NANO RCA MP3 ADAPTER CAR STEREO AUDIO CABLE - eBay (item 370137011306 end time Apr-27-09 17:37:43 PDT)

Its not likle the wireless FM modulators because this actually works. They use the FM modulators alot for Overhead DVD systems.

Youll wire the power wires together from the adapter and Fm modulator. Then youll only have one wire that comes out of the dash, center console or glovebox.

You will have to use the Ipod to controll it, but it will sound great and only costs about $40.

My girlfriends car, my brothers and my cousins are set up the same way. Also, its easy to install. Should only take 30 min start to finnish tops.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I dunno man, that's the only one I've ever read about for the ford headunits. I just put a dice unit in my 330 and it works reasonably well. I know you would like to keep the stock unit, but I'd reccomend just getting yourself an aftermarket double din unit (like the now discontinued Pioneer P4000DVD) which isn't much more than the Ipod interface you are looking at...and it is designed to run an ipod...so it's going to work better anyway.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Here is what I would do. Ive installed more ipods into cars that I can count.

Here is a cheap and very effective way to have perfectly clear sounding audio.

Hardwire FM modulator like this:

Pyle (PLMD3) 7 Channel FM Wired Stereo FM Modulator - Audio - GrabCart Compare and Buy Automotive

Ipod adapter

IPOD TOUCH NANO RCA MP3 ADAPTER CAR STEREO AUDIO CABLE - eBay (item 370137011306 end time Apr-27-09 17:37:43 PDT)

Its not likle the wireless FM modulators because this actually works. They use the FM modulators alot for Overhead DVD systems.

Youll wire the power wires together from the adapter and Fm modulator. Then youll only have one wire that comes out of the dash, center console or glovebox.

You will have to use the Ipod to controll it, but it will sound great and only costs about $40.

My girlfriends car, my brothers and my cousins are set up the same way. Also, its easy to install. Should only take 30 min start to finnish tops.

That isn't a bad idea, however, you have to keep the ipod in reach with that kit because you cannot control the ipod through the radio...

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Richie has the right link. I have the MP3mycar one and it works well. I can control forward and reverse and fast forward fast reverse. Just can't display the songs and playlists. Ipod stays in the Cobra more than the other cars.

Simple plug and play. Takes about 10 minutes to install. More time on pulling out and putting back than the actual wiring.

"It'll Run"

Established Member
Richie has the right link. I have the MP3mycar one and it works well. I can control forward and reverse and fast forward fast reverse. Just can't display the songs and playlists. Ipod stays in the Cobra more than the other cars.

Simple plug and play. Takes about 10 minutes to install. More time on pulling out and putting back than the actual wiring.

Scott does the one you have charge the Ipod also? Do you control the Ipod through the Factory head unit or do you have to do it through the Ipod itself?
Thanks pal.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
It charges and turns off with the head unit. Push CD button and it goes to DJ mode. No text shows up, and you can't toggle playlists. Just set your playlist and go from there.

"It'll Run"

Established Member
I dunno man, that's the only one I've ever read about for the ford headunits. I just put a dice unit in my 330 and it works reasonably well. I know you would like to keep the stock unit, but I'd reccomend just getting yourself an aftermarket double din unit (like the now discontinued Pioneer P4000DVD) which isn't much more than the Ipod interface you are looking at...and it is designed to run an ipod...so it's going to work better anyway.

Mike can you still run all the Factory speakers by going with an aftermarket headunit? Does it still sound as good as it does from the factory....

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Mike can you still run all the Factory speakers by going with an aftermarket headunit? Does it still sound as good as it does from the factory....

I would be shocked if you couldn't. You just have to get the appropriate wiring harness when you do the install. As I haven't put one in myself, I cannot speak with 100% confidence to that, but I bet Jason, or others here could back that up. As soon as the radio I want goes back down to 260 (the discontinued pioneer P4000dvd.. Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com) I will be ordering that to put in my car with all the factory speakers for now. I'm still miffed at myself for not picking it up when I found it for that about a month ago.

Oh, and I'd bet that the factory speakers would sound better with a good head unit than they do with the factory clunker.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Kevin, I just looked it up, and yes, the harness for our cars does use all the factory amps and speakers. So, your are gtg if you do go that route.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Bill's audio guy told me that aftermarkets work well with factory accessories. Go for it.

Get this. A simple Ipod/aux unit for the Becker unit in the P costs $750 w/ bluetooth!!! JUST TO HEAR AN IPOD? I am ordering a full out AVID Z2 for this ride too. BMW is the same, only $600 form the dealer. Euro sucks sometimes.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Kevin, I'd say your best bet is to go with an aftermarket head unit. I got this one Alpine CDA-9885 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com for the Jeep and it came from crutchfield with a free ipod connector so I can control my ipod from the head unit and charge it. All the playlists come up and everything, it has all the info on the screen. If you want to spend a bit more, find a nice double din that looks good and still has full ipod connectivity. All the stock speakers and amps will work just fine and probably sound better too.

That one is discontinued, but check this one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9886/Alpine-CDA-9886.html?search=cda9885&tp=5684 Comes with the ipod cable, free install kit and wiring kit, and free shipping. Install in the cobra should be cake.

Last edited:

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Speaking of stereo systems, who can I contact to see if a 2006 Ford double din from a Lariat is compatible with our stock Mach setup? Part 6L1T-18K931-AB. Nav, bluetooth, etc.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Dale, I know that one is discontinued...it's why I posted it. You can get it for roughly half price now...

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Dale, I know that one is discontinued...it's why I posted it. You can get it for roughly half price now...

I meant the first one that I posted, that I have in my Jeep, is discontinued. :poke:

Scott, I really doubt it'll fit without some crucial wiring and adaptation. I mean, even the 2003 and 2004 mustang head units have different wiring harnesses. It would definitely be sweet though. I bet if it was possible, it would have been done many times by now.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I have the Alpine iDA-X100 head unit that I got for $200 when I still worked at Best Buy. I had it in my previous Cobra as well I love it. Most people won't buy it because it doesn't have a CD player (who needs CD's if you're using an iPod anyway?) but it gives you the best control of your playlist hands down of any single DIN I've seen before it.

You can pick up the wiring harness you would need from your local Best Buy, it's like $20 and of course you'll just want to make sure you connect the amp turn-on wire to a 12v switched if you go that route.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You can pick up the wiring harness you would need from your local Best Buy, it's like $20 and of course you'll just want to make sure you connect the amp turn-on wire to a 12v switched if you go that route.

I went to literally 4 best buys, 3 circuit city's, tweeter and meier emco to try and get the correct wiring harness to hook up a single din Alpine HU to my GT. I think I bought 3 different once and returned them all. I knew the part number I needed, but other dudes insisted they were giving me the right part. All morons.

Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories

2003- Metra 70-5519
2004- Metra 70-5521

They give you two harnesses, one for all the speakers (if you only use this one, your tweeters will work and nothing else) and the other has some RCA's to hook up to your head unit, which turn on the amps (this makes the bigger speakers work). Every harness I got from BB/CC didn't account for the amps, so I only got sound from the tweeters. It seems every site will give you different years for each harness, but if you search on the forum, these are the correct part numbers for each year. Parts Express doesn't seem to have the 2nd one, but just google it and you'll find it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread