Looking for a friendly run with a 5.0

ModularKid'04

Established Member
Hey guys, so as the title states I'm looking for a friendly run with a stock 2011+ 5.0. I know what the outcome will most likely be but I'd love to get a few legit runs in with one. I've gotten to run two and they were very close races. All the guys who own coyote 5.0's around here (or that I've seen) are older and don't wanna play. As for my car, I've got an '04 Mach 1 with the typical bolt-ons. Full exhaust (LT's and catted x pipe) intake and a short throw shifter. It'd be nice to meet some fellow Mustang owners as well as get some fun runs in :beer:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
In these close races did you win or was it even?

Honestly I think with equal drivers the coyote might edge you out but I can see you winning.

In for Vids. :beer:

DerekDTP!

Established Member
That'll be interesting.. Took my buddy's quite a bit of work to pull one.. He also had a 100 shot, I believe the 5.0 was stock but he might of had a Hpipe and tune tho

ModularKid'04

Established Member
In these close races did you win or was it even?

Honestly I think with equal drivers the coyote might edge you out but I can see you winning.

In for Vids. :beer:
In those races I lost. One of the races, from what I could tell, the car was stick and stock exhaust. We went from about a 25 roll. I started in 2nd (didn't know I could get it back into 1st at the time haha) and he honked it off. He got the hit but had to shift immediately. I then stopped his pull at a car and it stay there. We only ran up to about 90 mph though. The other race was against an auto and it happened almost exactly as the other race did but he was ahead by a little less than a car

2 cam sam

Established Member
Man the 5.0's run strong. There was an auto in Knoxville with drag radials running 8.1 at 89 mph. The car was quiet as a mouse so I know it had the stock exhaust.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
You're so close...but so far. I'd guess your about 100 miles away from me. Maybe in the summer when I head to Glen Burnine for the races I will try and set this up.

Alien STI

Established Member
IM down when and where? My only mod is SW catback which i feel made the car a little slower but i have a friend with a stock one if you dont wanna run me.

ModularKid'04

Established Member
Man the 5.0's run strong. There was an auto in Knoxville with drag radials running 8.1 at 89 mph. The car was quiet as a mouse so I know it had the stock exhaust.

That was my first thought. maybe I just got lucky enough to run into an average driver with 3.31 gears which helped me out a little. I was surprised by the outcome

Buddy went 12.8 in the quarter bone stock to the tire with 331 gears.. Base model

Last year I ran a 13.2 @ 108. I'm definitely going back soon and on some better tires. My 60' was only a 2.1 so with those along with more seat time, I'm hoping to be right in the range of a stock or close to stock coyote. i wish I knew the exact mods of those two cars I ran. Next time I run one it could be an awesome driver, with 3.73's and I'd get pulled pretty good. It's very possible

Last edited:

blkvenm97

Established Member
Time for F/I

if you want to walk a new 5.0 forced induction on a mach or n/a cobra is the easiliest thing to do. However it is not a must. bolt ons and gears with a tire is more than enough to "run with" or slightly even pull on a stock 5.0...assuming that's the goal...running with one give or take. You wanna walk one you'll probably need FI or cams and head work. I saw a white 99 cobra on streetfire.com....the guy may be a member here. he had fr500 heads, cams, and intake, full bolt ons, gears, and tune and was puttin down well over 400 rwhp and was running right with a pullied cobra...even pulled him slightly on a run or two. So a full bolt on mach with gears and good tune/tires shouldn't have too much of a problem running with or pulling on a stock 5.0. add cams and it would be a walk IMO....although then you start modifying the 5.0 and it gets bad again lol....damn technology! on a side note I'll have a new 5.0 here in the next couple years...

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
if you want to walk a new 5.0 forced induction on a mach or n/a cobra is the easiliest thing to do. However it is not a must. bolt ons and gears with a tire is more than enough to "run with" or slightly even pull on a stock 5.0...assuming that's the goal...running with one give or take. You wanna walk one you'll probably need FI or cams and head work. I saw a white 99 cobra on streetfire.com....the guy may be a member here. he had fr500 heads, cams, and intake, full bolt ons, gears, and tune and was puttin down well over 400 rwhp and was running right with a pullied cobra...even pulled him slightly on a run or two. So a full bolt on mach with gears and good tune/tires shouldn't have too much of a problem running with or pulling on a stock 5.0. add cams and it would be a walk IMO....although then you start modifying the 5.0 and it gets bad again lol....damn technology! on a side note I'll have a new 5.0 here in the next couple years...

you run a bone stock 5.0 THAT DOESNT hit the traction control/stability nanny that has tires also its lights out.

try running a base model with 3.73's with drag radials. you wanna run one with 235 or 255's all weather tires against drag radials?

base models with 3.73's and tires are an arms reach from 11's with good shifting. 12.075 at 114.33

you can beat the driver not the car.

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/193239-2011-Mustang-GT-*tire-ONLY*-record

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Oh and chalk me up for a basically stock Mach 1 wanting to run a stock 5.0

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Last I knew the driver of the car in a race was just as important as the motor of the car. :rolleyes:

Agreed...there are plenty of people who own performance cars that cannot drive if their life depended on it....nor do they care to. Many people with performance cars buy them "just because"...they really have no intention to street race or got to the track..
To me though..a win is a win no matter how the other car gets beat...Knowing what a particular car "should" ET or Trap, is good knowledge to have to determine how a certain should race should go but the other half of the equation is the capability of the driver and how well the car is setup for traction. Too many people put way to much emphasis on Hp and not enough on weight, traction and driver capability.

OP..don't cut yourself short or go into a race with a losing attitude...if you can drive and your car hooks, you can take him

Last edited:

ModularKid'04

Established Member
Last I knew the driver of the car in a race was just as important as the motor of the car. :rolleyes:

my thoughts exactly

Agreed...there are plenty of people who own performance cars that cannot drive if their life depended on it....nor do they care to. Many people with performance cars buy them "just because"...they really have no intention to street race or got to the track..
To me though..a win is a win no matter how the other car gets beat...Knowing what a particular car "should" ET or Trap, is good knowledge to have to determine how a certain should race should go but the other half of the equation is the capability of the driver and how well the car is setup for traction. Too many people put way to much emphasis on Hp and not enough on weight, traction and driver capability.

OP..don't cut yourself short or go into a race with a losing attitude...if you can drive and your car hooks, you can take him

I always take all these things into account. I've won a lot of races that I "shouldn't" have because of a few of the things you listed. Anything can happen and that's always in the back of my mind

Users who are viewing this thread