Looking for 6-71 Blower Intake (4.6 DOHC)

TooManyFords

carpe noctum.
Established Member
I'm looking for a company or custom machine work to put a GMC 6-71 Blower on my 4.6 DOHC. I've got the forged motor built and have all the specs from BDS (Blower Drive Service) for the blower, drive kit and carbs, but it seems nobody makes an intake.

I know its been done and saw a picture of one in a T-Bird [link here] I've got a call into this gentleman's business but am always open to other options.

If anyone has any leads, please post up!

Thanks

John

TooManyFords

carpe noctum.
Established Member
I'm not really having any luck yet with this search, so I'm gearing up for "Plan B" just in case.

Does anyone have pictures of the 03 Cobra intake system to show me how it all goes together? I've got a picture of a lower intake that looks to be a good base to build on and create an adapter for the 6-71, but I'm not sure what the hole in the bottom is for or the big hole in the front.

Does the 03 Cobra have the alternator top, center like the Mach1 motor?

Does anyone have an extra lower intake they would like to donate to the cause for fabbing up a kit?

Thanks in advance.

John

427Lightning

Established Member
Its not that hard to fabricate an adaptor . It will need to be as flat as posible. I'm about to make a new adaptor for my 427W GT 40 lower/ 871.Depending on the intake you have will determine the adaptor. If you have one of those plastic intakes it may be a bit more difficult.I design my inlet and exit to fit under the hood. My bro and I cut the aluminum on a table saw the welder does the rest. I'm buying my 871 from SuperchargerUSA the owner Tim used to work for BDS for many years and started his own company. Hes setting me up with a blower that will run dry.His stage two blower has a hard anodized case to handle the heat. He's gauranteing it will work dry.
Weiand makes a 256 Pro street blower rated at 1400 cfm. It's smaller than the 871 and has several differant size snouts. My 427 out flowed the 256 so I need the larger 871.My GT 40 intake makes for a good base for the custom plate to adapt bigger blowers. Theres some picture in my NLOC gallery but you need to be a member to acces them. There are other pictures in the forums. NLOC search under Weiand.

TooManyFords

carpe noctum.
Established Member
I appreciate the tips.

Can you ask your friend if he can build me a 6-71 that can run dry too? That would really help me solve the problems with keeping my current PCM to fire the injectors.

My plan was to have 1" aluminum plate machined to mount on my lower intake and put the pop-off plate to the passenter side just above the valve cover on the bottom of the plate.

The blower intake could be a polished rectangle box on the top going straight back and down behind the blower and then to the right and angle to about the factory place for the Marauder throttle body. (drivers side) I'm thinking that I'll have to go aftermarket TB and AIC because the AIC on the marauder is cast in the upper section of the intake. Other than that, the motor is already built to handle the procharger with 13psi so my tune should be close enough to drive to the dyno to dial the new blower in.

If you would, please PM me contact info I can work out details!

Thanks in advance!

John

427Lightning

Established Member
www.superchargerusa.com talk to Tim hes the owner. It's taking him over 2 months to set my blower up, but i like the big blower look. deppending on the TPS ans IAC early mustang TB should work. You'll probaly want to get a 90 MM TB atleast to feed the big blower. He will need all your engine specs to help with pulleys and drive snouts.Good luck

Last edited:

TooManyFords

carpe noctum.
Established Member
Good news! I talked to Tim from Superchargers*USA today and he's got my business. Another friend is helping me tig weld the aluminum plate to the lower intake and I'll be in business.

As this comes together I'll post pictures and keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

John

Users who are viewing this thread