Looking at used 03, any tips?

Wiked03

Established Member
Hi all, I have been reading here for a while now, just patiently waiting for the right time to get my Cobra. I sold my 99 GT in 2001, and have been without a Mustang since. Its been a rough couple of years, but I am finally ready to get my next one. I pretty much have my heart set on the '03 Cobra (can't afford brand new 04.)

So I will be going to check out a used 03, Sonic Blue, with 13k miles. The miles seem high to me, but since I know a guy at the dealership I can get a pretty spectacular deal.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I go check it out?

Anything I should be asking about known problems? I have heard a lot about "the tick" and "the stall."

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

:beer: :thumbsup:

Tin Knocker

Established Member
The vibe,the pull,the pop,the clunk,the tob, the seat rattle and the fog lights condensating. I think thats everything

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
First, don't buy anything before posting the actual purchase price and details here. "Spectacular deal" isn't enough information. Everyone here is brutally honest...you'll get lots of feedback on whether or not you're getting hosed. :-D ;-)

Take the VIN to a Ford dealer and have them run an OASIS report on it. That'll tell you if it has the new cylinder head or any other major repairs. Even better, they'll tell you if the 3/36 warranty has been terminated for some reason.

You might want to take someone knowledgeable in '03s with you. If the blower pulley has been changed, the car might have been abused...or driven hard with a bad tune.

FYI - You can buy new '03s around here right now for at least $2,000 under invoice (including the current rebate).

-Greg

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Unless your getting and awesome deal. I personally would forgo getting an '03 because it is probably beat on ......just my .02.........enjoy.

Wiked03

Established Member
Around here (Chicago area) the prices for new ones are still pretty outrageous.

By good deal I mean, like 22-23k.

The high miles DO concern me. What are some obvious signs that I can look for to tell me it has been beat on? I plan on checking to see if stock exhaust is there, stock air box, checking the tires closely, etc...

Is the any way to know if the blower pulley has been changed?

Thanks for all the quick responses!

EDIT: I will definatley be looking into the OASIS report, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
That doesnt sound too bad. You just have to realize that a SC car is more sensitive to problems from the oil not being changed enough or not keeping an eye on the plugs for example. As opposed to a NA car where it wouldnt cause as much problems (acute that is).

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Wiked03
The high miles DO concern me.
Depending on when the car was titled the first time, 13k may not be high miles. These cars came out in June 02.
Personally, I don't think I'd buy a used 03 unless I knew the previous owner and history of the car. JMO

Last edited:

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Depending on when the car was titled the first time, 13k may not be high miles. These cars came out in June 02.
Personally, I don't think I'd buy a used 03 unless I knew the previous owner and history of the car. JMO

Let me just say that the majority of 03 cobra owners here are not little 16 - 17 year-old, spoiled, rich kid, who's parents bought them the mighty 03 cobra so they could abuse it, trash it and race it every weekend dumping the clutch @ 5000 - 6000 RPMs.

A lot of us here have our Cobras because we work hard for it. With that comes the appreciation and love for our toys. I don't think anybody who buys a car like this would not know how to maintain it or keep good care of it. Sure most of us drive it fast and hard sometimes, but we don't abuse it. (At least I don't) Why would we pay $35k for a car like this and abuse it and trash it? We actually take extra good care of it. I'm sure I speak for at least 50% of the cobra owners here.

Personally, I think to say you wouldn't buy a used 03 cobra unless you knew the previous owner is like saying I wouldn't marry this wonderful person because he/she is not a virgin and I don't know who the hell he/she ***ed in the past.

If the car looks good, sounds good, runs good, is the right price, go for it.

Anyhow, I'm not bagging on you Tracy. It's just my .02 cents worth.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake

Anyhow, I'm not bagging on you Tracy. It's just my .02 cents worth.
It's ok...we all have our opinions. :beer:

My car is very well taken care of. Always clean, oil changed religiously etc. My motor will be rebuilt to better than factory specs. With that said...I would not want to buy my car used.

Wiked03...I'm not trying to discourage you from buying one used. You asked for opinions. I think a used S/C vehicle is a gamble, but if the price is right it's a hard one to pass up.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
I would never buy a used turbo or SC vehicle. Too risky! Exception---->> if the car was previously owned by a close friend of mine and I saw first hand how he took care of it.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
lol Funny you should say that. When I was posting I was like ut oh I am agreeing with racerat. hehe I mess around alot on this forum. People take me rather seriously but I do come off harshly most of the time. All in fun though.

Don't take things to seriously and you will always be at ease.

I live by that saying. :beer:

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
I bought mine used, saved over $10k. I am sure that it was driven hard at times. I pulled an Oasis and Carfax, both of which were perfect. The car came with everything in my sig, and was in perfect shape, save for a few MINOR scratchs. I flew to Denver and drove it home, all 2k miles in 27 hours. This was before the rebates and all. I just can't bring myself to buy a new car, I hate losing money like the guy that I bought my car from did.
I understand the "new" car infatuation, I will just let someone else take the hit. Besides you are still talking about a current year car that is still under warranty.:beer:

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by 78mphgpr
I bought mine used, saved over $10k. I am sure that it was driven hard at times. I pulled an Oasis and Carfax, both of which were perfect. The car came with everything in my sig, and was in perfect shape, save for a few MINOR scratchs. I flew to Denver and drove it home, all 2k miles in 27 hours. This was before the rebates and all. I just can't bring myself to buy a new car, I hate losing money like the guy that I bought my car from did.
I understand the "new" car infatuation, I will just let someone else take the hit. Besides you are still talking about a current year car that is still under warranty.:beer:

You do know that the oasis and carfax only report the problems with the car if it was in the dealership more or less. Example: Good friend of mine owns 2 car dealerships. One night a drunk driver went off the road into the dealership totaling a minivan and damaging various other cars. Had our mechanics fix the cars up like new. Neither carfax or oasis will have record of this occurance. There are ways to get by everything.

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Personally, I think to say you wouldn't buy a used 03 cobra unless you knew the previous owner is like saying I wouldn't marry this wonderful person because he/she is not a virgin and I don't know who the hell he/she ***ed in the past.

Now there is an analogy i can scratch i mean live with.........lol.

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by soniccobra 03

Now there is an analogy i can scratch i mean live with.........lol.

So you think we need like a chickfax to see if our women of choice to marry have been pounded loose? That's not a bad idea.

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
So you think we need like a chickfax to see if our women of choice to marry have been pounded loose? That's not a bad idea.

I guess that would be a great idea.........kinda like a litmus test:beer:

itpphoto

Established Member
Hello, I live in Darien, IL and will be selling my DSG 03 as I have a new house on the way. Basically, 3500 pampered miles, garage kept, chrome wheels, no mods other than a shifter. I do have a brand new in the box Magnaflow complete system. It has the Ford 60,000 warranty. Clean Oasis and none of the usual problems. Adult owned (48) call me (Frank) at 630-655-2487, you won't be sorry once you see the car.

Users who are viewing this thread