Looking at buying a 2002 F-250

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
It has 75,000 miles on it. It is a Super Duty with a 6" lift, dual fox shocks sitting on 37x13.5 tires. Lariat Package, Full Leather, Power Everything Touch Screen in dash DVD Player with monitors in the headrests. It has the 7.3 power stroke diesel engine. They want $22,800.00 for it. The truck looks really really clean.

Does anyone here own one? It will be a DD and I will use it to pull the Quads and camping gear. I want to get a bigger trailer so I can take the COBRA to different tracks and run it.

VPF

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
My old man & my uncles all run powerstrokes on their farm and work the shit out of them. All of them are 7.3's & have 150-200K miles on them & still run strong as hell. They just bought one of the brand new 6.4 bi-turbo powerstrokes but don't have enough miles on it to comment yet. IIRC, the 350 has a better more reliable front end because it's a solid axle but depending on what you do with it the 250 will be fine. For all the improvements ford has made, they still haven't topped the 7.3 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Sounds like a good truck, the 7.3 was the best diesel ever put in a Ford truck and was a true truck diesel.

I believe 2001 was the last year for the Dana 50 SFA. In 2002 both the 250 and 350 both used Dana 60 SFA's

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
7.3's are a good motor and that's a good price for the mileage its got on it. Only thing I would worry about is I see a lot of people having to redo the front steering stuff at about 100,000-130,000 range(ball joints, tie rods, etc.) and with the lift you can probably plan on it sooner.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
All superdutys had the solid front. Like cobra 4 mentioned front end isues, as well as auto trans. issues are the only things you should have to worry about. I have a 6.5 inch lift on my 00 with 150k on the clock and besides ball-joints, a TOB bearing and back case on the trans (not maintanence) it has been a great pickup. Go for it, post up some pics.

Dusten

Established Member
The 2002 is a great truck, mom has a 99, i had an 03, and have an 08. The motor is tough, there are plenty of mods. Like said with the big tires you may have issues, especially with the unit bearings. They are about 400 a pop. I say buy it

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My dad's '00 250 with 7.3 just rolled over 375k, it'll haul a small bulldozer and skid steer and he has yet to have any problems...although he does drive at least 150 highway miles daily.

Dusten

Established Member
i forgot to mention, my 03(a friend has it, is at almost 200K) and my moms 99 has 340K

SVTTuckF100

M&M Custom Finishes
Established Member
thankfully the newer SD front ends are waaay better than the mid-90s F250-350, we've had them in the shop left and right replacing just about everything from the knuckle out.

Of course that could be the 2 excavating companies that own the trucks driving the wheels off them.....literally.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I've always wanted a clean 7.3 with hydro assist and some 46's, do the freespin hub kit once you buy the truck and I doubt you'll have any issues aside from a glow plug or two
product_fordcombo_bigimage1.jpg

Dusten

Established Member
thankfully the newer SD front ends are waaay better than the mid-90s F250-350, we've had them in the shop left and right replacing just about everything from the knuckle out.

Of course that could be the 2 excavating companies that own the trucks driving the wheels off them.....literally.
the Dana 50 TTB in the 90's F-250 is garbage. However the Solid Axle Dana 60 in the F-350's is superior to the superduty's axle.

I've always wanted a clean 7.3 with hydro assist and some 46's, do the freespin hub kit once you buy the truck and I doubt you'll have any issues aside from a glow plug or two
product_fordcombo_bigimage1.jpg

So long as you have 1500-2000 to spend on it, its a great idea.

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
So long as you have 1500-2000 to spend on it, its a great idea.
There combo kit with the crossover steering and big ass track bar runs $3k, but 2-3mpg and no more $400 unit bearing replacements pays for itself not to mention the 35spline outers and some real hubs. I've seen good condition 7.3s with shelled front ends going for cheap, not sure if I'd like one more than the denali with the cost of diesel right now.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
It has 75,000 miles on it. It is a Super Duty with a 6" lift, dual fox shocks sitting on 37x13.5 tires. Lariat Package, Full Leather, Power Everything Touch Screen in dash DVD Player with monitors in the headrests. It has the 7.3 power stroke diesel engine. They want $22,800.00 for it. The truck looks really really clean.

Does anyone here own one? It will be a DD and I will use it to pull the Quads and camping gear. I want to get a bigger trailer so I can take the COBRA to different tracks and run it.

VPF

great truck, but 22.8 seems to be a bit on a high side for an 02' with 75k on it. I'd pay no more than 19.5. :nono:

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
They wanted to give me $3,300.00 for my Durango. So I offered them $18,500.00 for the truck. We both thanked each other and went our separate ways.

normal_Family_Pictures_1047.jpg

I know you don't get your money back that you put into a vehicle when it comes to mods, but I just put all new bushings, ball joints, brake rotors/pads, rear leafs, shocks and 4 new tires(35x12.5x15) BFG mud terrain tires last November. It's 99 with 95,000 miles and the SLT package with full leather and every option but the third seat.

VPF

Common

Established Member

VPF

I have the 2001 with the exact same lift and tires, well I took the 37's off and am driving on the 35's BF AT's, much softer tires with quiter ride.

My advice, go drive one without the lift then go try that one, ride comfort goes out the window almost once the lift kits come into play, but who said looking good has to be comfortable.

7.3's are pretty much bulletproof. Good luck with it.

PS' check if he had custom driveshaft made or if it was the drop bracked they used on it once the lift was done, pay verry close attention to how the truck takes off for the first 0-20 mph I guess.

My family had a few 7.3's and have nothing but good things to say, even after doing all the childish nonsense with bully dog power pup and straight 4" turboback, never a hiccup.

Dusten

Established Member
unfort that is all your durango is worth. Especially with those tires on it. the market is going to be very limited for a lifted soccer mom machine.
However, that SD is worth 18K at best.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I will never just give the Durango away. I want a truck so my lazy ass does not have to load up the trailer when I want to go ridding out here.

Whatever truck we buy will be lifted by us or at the time we buy it. We actually use our Durango. Funny thing about the Soccer mom comment is this is the wifes DD. But that Soccer mom machine has pulled many a truck out of the sand at Glamis, Buttercup and in Mexico.

It has 10 inch rims. These guys with the 8" rims sink like rocks in the sand. Drop the tires down to about 8lbs and I have never gotten stuck. We have had it lifted for about 4 years now.

Common got any pictures? The ride was hard, but not unbearable. Not smooth like the Durango, but it was still a nice ride. I will call again at the end of the week and see if they still have it.

Other wise I am looking at this. 2004 SLT 2500. Talked to the guy I might be able to get it for 27,000.

3834996207.237115124.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Cummins 600 series, 6" superlift with 2" spacers 37" new cooper tires, 4.88 gears with posi, built tranny, banks six gun package, intake, exhaust, full gauges, AMP running boards, full stereo.

VPF

Common

Established Member
Here, this is on 35's, not really wide ones, I think these are the exact same tires they run on h2 hummers. My 37's were just too loud for highway, mud tires are loud as shyt.

cobra3.jpg

Dusten

Established Member
I will never just give the Durango away. I want a truck so my lazy ass does not have to load up the trailer when I want to go ridding out here.

Whatever truck we buy will be lifted by us or at the time we buy it. We actually use our Durango. Funny thing about the Soccer mom comment is this is the wifes DD. But that Soccer mom machine has pulled many a truck out of the sand at Glamis, Buttercup and in Mexico.
It has 10 inch rims. These guys with the 8" rims sink like rocks in the sand. Drop the tires down to about 8lbs and I have never gotten stuck. We have had it lifted for about 4 years now.

Common got any pictures? The ride was hard, but not unbearable. Not smooth like the Durango, but it was still a nice ride. I will call again at the end of the week and see if they still have it.

Other wise I am looking at this. 2004 SLT 2500. Talked to the guy I might be able to get it for 27,000.

3834996207.237115124.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Cummins 600 series, 6" superlift with 2" spacers 37" new cooper tires, 4.88 gears with posi, built tranny, banks six gun package, intake, exhaust, full gauges, AMP running boards, full stereo.

VPF

that comment was made because 95% of those durangos are used for that, and therefore when a dealer is taking one on trade, they have to consider the market for it.
as far as commons comments on losing ride, if you use the kit that DR (they have a new name now, but it escapes me) has on the market, its a hangar kit and keeps the stock springs.
And not all 37's are loud. I love my 37's for both ride and noise.
And my wife DD's this soccer machine
PB110032.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread