Looking at an 03 Cobra tuned on E72 and I have questions...

Scott Rinehart

Established Member
The car is in OK and I'm in TX. I'm not even sure we have E72 (winter blend?) as I've never seen it or paid attention enough to know if it exists here. Anyhow, if it becomes mine, it'll be tuned to 93 due to the nearest E85 station being 25 miles from me. Since it's almost a 5 hr drive from where he is and E72 seems nonexistent (to me at least), other than trailer it back or load up the trunk with cans of E72 while there (um no), is there a safe way to get it home with the fuel options available on the way back? From what little I know about fuel and tuning, probably not but I thought I'd ask...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
No there is not. You can't drop in 93 on a car tuned for E72 ethanol. You would need a pump gas tune for that car.....or trailer it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I figured that may be the case. Thanks!

No problem.

If you decide to buy it, get it back to DFW....and you need a pump 93 tune, I highly recommend 04sleeper. He is primarily a remote tuner....but lucky for you, he's in DFW. He'd dial that car in for E85 (my bet is DFW has more like 85% ethanol)....and get you a safe 93 tune for the times you can't run ethanol.

MG0h3

Established Member
A. 25 miles for E85 is worth it

B. The vast majority of cars tuned for E have a 93/91 tune also. Ask the seller

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Scott Rinehart

Established Member
A. 25 miles for E85 is worth it

B. The vast majority of cars tuned for E have a 93/91 tune also. Ask the seller

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
A. I think it might just be worth it seeing he was making 715 on E85. I heard there's an E85 locator app too ha ha!

Scott Rinehart

Established Member
No problem.

If you decide to buy it, get it back to DFW....and you need a pump 93 tune, I highly recommend 04sleeper. He is primarily a remote tuner....but lucky for you, he's in DFW. He'd dial that car in for E85 (my bet is DFW has more like 85% ethanol)....and get you a safe 93 tune for the times you can't run ethanol.
Thanks for the heads up and I'll def keep him in mind when the time comes.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
25 miles isn’t all that far for e85, so worth it! My bro lives in Arlington and there’s e85 readily available everywhere it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
A. I think it might just be worth it seeing he was making 715 on E85. I heard there's an E85 locator app too ha ha!

It's absolutely worth it. Most the pump gas tunes are going to be 100hp less than the E85 tune....and in reality, it feels like a lot more lost than that once you drive it real world and things get hot. Way more TQ, way more low and mid range....way more fun. And it's safer IMO. Sounds counter-intuitive to think the car is making 100 more HP and it's "safer".....but that's just the reality of how much detonation suppression ethanol provides over pump gas. And it's a lot less sensitive to intake temps rising. Full timing all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread