Looking at a lifted truck tomorrow - what to watch for?

kitsune1324

Established Member
My fiance' has been really wanted a truck to go off roading with and she found one she really likes for a decent price. We're going to check it out tomorrow and I was hoping to get some input on what to watch out for and anything I should specifically check. I know to look at the brakes, tires, undercarriage, suspension, engine, tie-rods, and the most basic things.
I'm only used to looking at cars so anything is helpful!

A little about the truck - it's a 2003 Sierra 1500 with 106k miles on it. It's on its second owner who has only put on 4k miles in 2 years.
The tires are 46" (yeah, 46...it's tall). The bumpers side

1o1proof

Established Member
It's gonna be a money pit...the end.

Lifted trucks are a lot like boats, great at first and better when you sale.

Dynobrat

Established Member
97-99 vortec 350's are good trucks, even the 5.0L vortec. A 2003 is a different animal. The cab sheet metal is garbage, they tried to lighten it in that area, (same scenario they did with the third gen f-body floor pans haha) - the rockers on that truck will disintegrate. The doors are heavy and you will eat through door pins like Christmas candy. The only one good thing is the engine. The rest of the truck spells DANGER DANGER. It will not stay together. The end.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Consider that there's probably a really good reason the current owner has only driven the truck 4,000 miles in the last two years. If you don't have the room, the tools, or the ability to work on it yourself (or the budget to pay a shop that knows what they are doing), I would run far far away. Proper components for lifted trucks are not cheap, and (at least around here) labor to pay someone to work on them is significantly more expensive as well. For instance, when I put 37s on my old F250, all the shops I called in my area wanted $75 per corner to mount my tires on brand new - off the truck - wheels.

I find it sort of interesting that you're looking at both a huge lifted GMC with 46" tires and a completely stock base model F150 at the same time. Obviously they are two very different animals...

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Consider that there's probably a really good reason the current owner has only driven the truck 4,000 miles in the last two years. If you don't have the room, the tools, or the ability to work on it yourself (or the budget to pay a shop that knows what they are doing), I would run far far away. Proper components for lifted trucks are not cheap, and (at least around here) labor to pay someone to work on them is significantly more expensive as well. For instance, when I put 37s on my old F250, all the shops I called in my area wanted $75 per corner to mount my tires on brand new - off the truck - wheels.

I find it sort of interesting that you're looking at both a huge lifted GMC with 46" tires and a completely stock base model F150 at the same time. Obviously they are two very different animals...

I've seen a few guys go against good advice and jack their trucks/jeeps up, only to be miserable with all the issues it brings. A half ton truck with 46's is a terrible combo and hard on the engine/driveline unless it's geared really low. If you decide to pursue it, take it on the highway and try to hit cracks and bumps, but hold on tight if it death wobbles.

Also check the glovebox for extra small condoms.

kitsune1324

Established Member
Lots of good information here. So we're ditching the idea of a big lifted truck and are looking more towards something decent and already built or something we can modify to work.

Do you think the ford with some minor mods like stiffening the chassis, changing the tires, and other small mods would make a decent daily driver/occesional off roading car?
She really wants a small loft as well but I'm not sure if that's a good idea now.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I love my stock ride height 15 f150...rides nice and smooth lol. Leveling kit and done...ride great and tows great!

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
In my opinion a small lift with the right size tire, and a good set of shocks will go far. When you say off roading, are you talking about just running through some mud or more of desert running with hills and dips in them?

kitsune1324

Established Member
Desert running with hills and dips.

We took a look at the f150 and might i say, a lot of rust and spray paint. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Desert running with hills and dips.

We took a look at the f150 and might i say, a lot of rust and spray paint. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig.

Desert running with hills and dips but you were looking at a truck with 46 inch tires?!?!?

I would suggest finding out exactly what you want to do with the truck and have a price point, it would make it a lot easier to give some suggestions.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I just sold a 2000 F150 super cab short bed , 5.4 , automatic, manual transfer case , 3.55 limited slip , and a 6" fabteck lift on 35's.

Drove down the road perfectly, 4x4 on rocks, mud , hills etc as it should.

Sold it for 5500.

This is about as perfect of a lifted light truck as you can get in my opinion .
Decent fuel mileage , roomy cab with 4 doors for access , parts are reasonable when needed , looks nice .
Truck had 137k miles .

I have a 99 F150 super cab Lariat for sale now , 1 owner with absolutely no problems , interior is leather , all options , but
It has 240k showing on the odometer, all stock , no lift at all , and people are afraid of the miles.

My opinion, look for a Ford , if stock add a leveling lift , or go no more than enough to fit 35's .

Tho the 2000 had lower miles , it had been used off road , and I am sure there were things that were going to need to be replaced fairly soon.
The one owner old lady 99 , has never been off road, and has had meticulous care.

I would rather pay more for a higher mile low owner truck, that I can make the way I like , and have peace of mind knowing the mechanical are sound , than one with less miles , looks like I want , but the mechanical are a mystery.

kitsune1324

Established Member
Alright guys, so we looked at a lot of trucks on saturday, though about what we wanted, and ended up going with a 2005 Nissan Nismo Off Road Frontier. It was already set up to go off roading, has upgraded shocks and struts, exhaust, and (besides some small marks on the exterior) is in excellent condition. You can tell that the previous owner had put a light bar on top of the car but took that off and sealed the holes.

Went to dinner after we got it.
20160903_175125.jpg

Yesterday afternoon at four peeks AZ.
20160905_143804.jpg

One thing we can't figure out is behind the driver and passenger doors near the top there are three drilled and threaded holes. Anybody know what that could be from?
20160903_175324.jpg

All in all, thank you for all of the advice!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a budget. It sounds like you are looking for a Raptor.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Shoulda just got a crown vic. Sounds like you dont really know what you needed it to do.

[youtube_browser]KFwPXEeJ3aI[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]sYIJpzo2RVY[/youtube_browser]

kitsune1324

Established Member
It seems a bit too forward on the car to be a roof rack (at least from my nonexistent experience with those) could it have been for a light bar or something similar? I mean hey, if it's a roof rack it's a roof rack.

I should have posted that. Her budget was under 10k. And let me tell you, if we had any chance of getting a raptor I would have pushed like hell for it. Raptors are the truck for me.

God damn, should've gone with a vic! Or just taken her 1999 Monte Carlo!

Users who are viewing this thread