looking at a high mileage cobra.... need advice

charged87

Established Member
Hi fellas I found a 2003 cobra 10th anniversary with 147000 on the clock, the seller wants 14500 for it and I'm not sure if that's the going rate on these now a days with that many miles on it. He's the second owner and has only had it since June of 2011. I pulled up the carfax and all is good with no accidents, he bought it with 134000 on it from a dealer it looks like, because it said on the carfax it was in a auto auction in 03/2011 so I'm guessing the previous owner traded it in. I haven't seen it yet but plan on going this weekend. This is what he posted in his add.

"the car is stock except for a magnaflow x pipe, magna packs and a jlt cold air intake
the car put down 352tq and 393 hp on the dyno with 11lbs of boost a few months back i have the dyno sheet to show what it did
I also have the certificate and 10th anniversay floor mats with it
recently replaced all the pulleys,tensioners, the belts, new alternator, thermostat, waterpump, oil cooler gasket, one of the tensioners wents i just decided to do all that while i was in there
it has a pioneer double din with navagation
the car is very very clean and runs strong
the car has always been garaged since i have owned it"

photo_zps6d5cedb3.jpg
[/IMG]

photo1_zpsc9c47f88.jpg
[/IMG]

incobra_zpsc2e0ad57.jpg
[/IMG]

engine-1_zpsa7babc08.jpg
[/IMG]

I know from reading on here that the number one thing to do is a compression test and listening for the the head "tick", does $14500 sound fair for it? I haven't talked about a price with him yet and I'm not sure if he's even willing to budge on his asking price. I normally don't talk about price over the phone until I looked at a car anyways.... sorry for the long first post on here but I would appreciate any help or info you guys may have. thanks.

nol300

Established Member
Why mess with those miles you can find a better car for a better deal. I would not pay more than 10k for a 150k mile car.

You can find way lower mile cars in the 14-18k range.

charged87

Established Member
Why mess with those miles you can find a better car for a better deal. I would not pay more than 10k for a 150k mile car.

You can find way lower mile cars in the 14-18k range.

I know what your saying.... he did mention that when he tells people the mileage they don't call back lol. I was thinking about 10500 or 11000 the most for it but I didn't want to insult the guy. its only for a weekend cruiser and 10k wouldn't be a bad deal i think.... thanks for the help! :beer:

cpthowdy87

Established Member
I say be patient, continue looking, and you'll find the right cobra for the right price.

charged87

Established Member
I say be patient, continue looking, and you'll find the right cobra for the right price.

this is one of the first ones I found and I'm sure more are out there. he's not that far from me and I'll take a ride and go check it out for the heck of it. I currently have a 87 Gt that's strictly a track car and would just to like to get back into a street car again... I always had a thing for these terminators and would love to own one.thanks for the help guys!

ademily87

Established Member
Def a little too much for the mileage. I paid 14 for mime with 102k miles march 2012. No accidents, 2 owners, etc. I would offer $10.5k and see what he says. If anything he'll keep you in mind when he can't sell it for his asking price. Good luck:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

charged87

Established Member
Def a little too much for the mileage. I paid 14 for mime with 102k miles march 2012. No accidents, 2 owners, etc. I would offer $10.5k and see what he says. If anything he'll keep you in mind when he can't sell it for his asking price. Good luck:beer:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you sir... that's what I was thinking. lets see how it goes. for around 10k wouldn't be so bad in the wallet for me right now, all the termi's I see with low mileage they want 20-25K for them depending on mods and color. from the pictures it doesn't seem to be in bad shape... does 393rwhp sound right with those mods? I'm just asking because if the engine was tired or hurt that it wouldn't show that much rwhp.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
something sounds off..

stock boost is 8 lbs,, give or take,,

those numbers sound low,,

i had mine done with 170k,,just handheld and was just over 400,,

might help with price drop asking about it,different story might be told,,than why all repairs in 1 spot?

hate for anyone to get stiffed,,

charged87

Established Member
something sounds off..

stock boost is 8 lbs,, give or take,,

those numbers sound low,,

i had mine done with 170k,,just handheld and was just over 400,,

might help with price drop asking about it,different story might be told,,than why all repairs in 1 spot?

hate for anyone to get stiffed,,

Thanks for the tip... I have a felling that it had more mods on it before the by previous owner and was put back to stock before trading it in?

Anabolic

Banned
393 hp doesnt sound bad? looks like he's running the stock pully up top just no cover. I would try to go 12k for a 10th ani coupe aslong as comp test & ride goes well I'd buy it.
You could part it out and get that money back hah!

charged87

Established Member
I would like to have talked with the first owner and ask him the history on it, the carfax doesn't give you any info on it other then registration renewals and when it was sold to the auction, no service records at all....from the mileage on it seems like he used it as a daily driver. Thanks again for all the help guys!

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I would wait. There is always someone needing to sell their Terminator and it will have lower miles for maybe 2-3K more. But if thats the one you want, then def check it out. Numbers don't mean much since it depends on alot of factors. If it has no tune, could be on the rich side. Def not hard to put something back to stock or close to it. I know i would to get more back from my parts but I would still tell people what it use to have.

mysticvenom623

Established Member
That price does seem a little high but it appears to have been taken care of going by the pictures. For reference, I just picked up my Mystichrome Vert for just a little more and it had a new Ford Long block with 5k miles on it and 80k on the body. I agree that you should take it to a mechanic and have at least a compression test done. The engines can last a lot longer than 150k if properly maintained. Other things may start needing replacing though. I would offer 10.5 or so and negotiate from there.

I wonder if it was pullied at one time since the cover is off. Good luck.

87poopstang

Established Member
hp sounds low w 11 lbs of boost? when mine was stock boost w bassani n borla ehx. i was 419 hp but all so only 22k miles. idk but i wld stay away from that one keep an eye out they are some good deals out there

charged87

Established Member
I'm not sure if it has a tune on it when he dyno'ed it. But if it does do you think it might be tired or starting to get some sings of it with only 393 rwhp with those mods?

Users who are viewing this thread