Looking at a GT500 Have questions

Tango7

Established Member
I am looking at a couple of GT500s. I looked at a 2007 with 13,000 miles looks completly stock. It has the NAV . In the trunk there are no subs I thought all had those subs. The head lights are not Hid can the 08-09 hid light be installed and would it be plug and play.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Only the Shaker 1000 has subs. IIRC you cannot get the Navi and the shaker 1000. Navi = no subs
I think you can retrofit the HID but be prepared to spend about $1000 for the lights. It is easier to just get aftermarket HID's for >$50

Edit: I should have been more clear. When I mention "subs" I meant trunk mounted subs.

Last edited:

lubrizolsfin3st

Established Member
I would wait and save for a 2010+
I have the shaker1000 in my 2010 and I have to admit it's pretty boss. I'm 34 and grew up with crazy big bass and for factory it's very very nice. Most people are amazed it's factory. But if you like the 07-09 look then more power to ya. They look good too, just prefer the 2010+ look.
But don't think for a second just because it looks stock it has always been like that. Much easier for someone to make their money back on selling their parts and most dealers buy vehicles that are mostly stock. Just my opinion.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
All gt500's have the shaker 500, which is the subs and amps in the door panel. The 1000 had the subs in the trunk as well. It won't say shaker 500 anywhere on the radio. That's some low mileage for the 07. As far as stock goes, you can bet there was at least a cai at some point at the very least but then returned to stock because dealers don't pay extra for aftermarket parts and usually hold it against you on a trade. The HID's can be swapped, I believe someone makes a harness but I think they're pretty damn expensive for the HID's themselves. I recall someone trying to sell a set in the market here for like 1200. What color? Have any pics or links to the car? I sold my factory nav and replaced it with a clarion DVD/Nav. I also replaced the door speakers with RF punch series but left the factory subs in the door. I'm replacing the rear deck speakers as well. Do you plan on modding it if you buy it?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
All gt500's have the shaker 500, which is the subs and amps in the door panel... It won't say shaker 500 anywhere on the radio.

It says SHAKER500 on the radio face just above the CD slot.

IMG_8258.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It says SHAKER500 on the radio face just above the CD slot.

IMG_8258.jpg

That is what I thought also. The S500 is on the radio face as is the S1000 info. if it has that audio option.

001_zpscd5a1fc2.jpg

but for 2007-2009 it was S1000 OR NAV, not both...........and the NAV came with the base S500 audio.

R

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Exactly what I was saying, on the Nav units it doesn't say Shaker 500 anywhere but it has the door subs and amps. I had no idea if my car car with Nav had the shaker 500 till I did some research and discovered all gt500's have at least the shaker 500

DMR

Exactly what I was saying, on the Nav units it doesn't say Shaker 500 anywhere but it has the door subs and amps. I had no idea if my car car with Nav had the shaker 500 till I did some research and discovered all gt500's have at least the shaker 500

Does the Shaker 1000 head unit have a more powerful amp built into it or is there an external amp for the subs in the trunk?
Is the S1000 a good swap from a S500?
I have the Shaker 500 and looking to upgrade the sound at some point.

RSAGT500

Established Member
Does the Shaker 1000 head unit have a more powerful amp built into it or is there an external amp for the subs in the trunk?

In my opinion, the shaker 1000 sub in the trunk sucks with the stock head unit. Putting an aftermarket head unit in really wakes it up though.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
My suggestion if you want to upgrade everything, go aftermarket. I had the shaker 500 with nav and just installed a clarion nx602 and Rockford fosgate punch series all around except for the door subs, the lower ones with the bezel. I would've replaced those since I had the door panel off but they're an odd size and I didn't feel like modifying anything. That's just me, I know some like to stay with stock stuff. My interpretation is the shaker 1000 has the subs for the trunk and an amp to power them. My clarion has nav, DVD, Bluetooth which sinks up to my phone as soon as I'm n range for hands free calling. I installed it all myself and I have a very bad back which means a monkey should be able to do it. Ordered everything from crutch field and their tech support was great. The speakers fit right in the stock mounting bracket with a very small modification to the mounting brackets on the speakers themselves.
photo_zpse4b8777c.jpg

My system sounds great and I love all the extras of the crarion that the factory nav/shaker500 didn't provide.

DMR

In my opinion, the shaker 1000 sub in the trunk sucks with the stock head unit. Putting an aftermarket head unit in really wakes it up though.

My suggestion if you want to upgrade everything, go aftermarket. I had the shaker 500 with nav and just installed a clarion nx602 and Rockford fosgate punch series all around except for the door subs, the lower ones with the bezel. I would've replaced those since I had the door panel off but they're an odd size and I didn't feel like modifying anything. That's just me, I know some like to stay with stock stuff. My interpretation is the shaker 1000 has the subs for the trunk and an amp to power them. My clarion has nav, DVD, Bluetooth which sinks up to my phone as soon as I'm n range for hands free calling. I installed it all myself and I have a very bad back which means a monkey should be able to do it. Ordered everything from crutch field and their tech support was great. The speakers fit right in the stock mounting bracket with a very small modification to the mounting brackets on the speakers themselves.

My system sounds great and I love all the extras of the crarion that the factory nav/shaker500 didn't provide.

Wow, thanks for the info and saving me the effort to even look at the shaker 1000 :bowdown:
I guess I will be going aftermarket with some Android head unit with GPS and bluetooth instead. Will also change speakers later down the road. Has anyone done any sound insulation while doing the speakers in the doors?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

The Shaker 1000 system has 4 amps mounted in the back with the sub box. You can add it all, but it's not plug and play. You'll have to wire in the subs. I think there are a couple write-ups out there on it.

I've had both the 500 and 1000, and the 1000 sounds considerably better.

lubrizolsfin3st

Established Member
The 1,000 is awesome. I'm 34 and have grown up with big subs and there isn't a better one than the JL audio but with that said the 1k is very very nice. I'm not going to change a thing and the head unit which isn't NAV is ok with me. Is has an AUX and USB more than enough for me and they hit pretty hard for faxtory

Users who are viewing this thread