Looking at a 96 cobra...few ?s

Red_Lightning22

Established Member
Ok, Today I just looked at a 96 cobra.

Interior looks amazing.. no cracks or anything along those lines. Actually looks brand new. Tires are alright and wheels looked good. Stock wheels I think. Paint is good for a 96 and a missouri car. Has all SVT certificates and receipts.

For performance has Bassani X and Flowmaster exhaust. Also just put in brand new plugs and wires.

The not so great has 150XXX miles... also said hes getting 25 mpg going about 400 miles is when he checked it.

The guy wants $5500... Does that sound like a good deal or not... :shrug:
any response very welcomed!

llDemonll

Established Member
talk him down

i got my 94 with 160k for 4 grand with a (literally) brand new looking interior, i dont think the back seats ever had people in them. shift boot looked a bit old and the steering wheels had lost a lot of texture but other than that.

you should be able to get less out of him, if not 5500 isnt a terribly bad deal

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
WOW sounds like a good deal but you should still try and go lower.
Or you can just buy mine.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I am guessing the bottom has completely fell out of these cars. There is no way I would let my Cobra go that cheap. My car has 195K miles and has been awesome! I guess I am stuck with it..lol..

gq916

Established Member
i just bought mine 2 months ago for 6k with 81k miles clean title. I wouldnt pay more than 4k for that car because of the miles on it.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
Sorry but the price is $9000 good try.
19mustang95 how the insurance people treating you with your car?

Last edited:

Red_Lightning22

Established Member
I thought it sounded kinda low.. but its pretty much stock... the guy said that he bought a truck and just doesnt need it any more.

150K what would most likely be wrong with it? trans or anything else I should look for?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
25mpg, if strictly highway mileage, is entirely possible with a stock geared car. I have a friend with a stock geared 96, drove it from Illinois to Texas and back, and got 26mpg the entire way.

I'd pay real close attention to the transmission during the test drive. They're probably the single largest complaint everyone has about SN95 Cobras.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Sorry but the price is $9000 good try.
19mustang95 how the insurance people treating you with your car?

the balls in my court now, just waiting on SVT to send me my paperwork. I knew i should have ordered it when i first got the car. :cuss: but hopefully it will work out well.

and to the OP, i got around 26-27mpg in my Cobra with 4.10s. and with my GT with 3.73s i have gotten 30 a few times. It really makes a difference if you are going 70 or 80 or 90mph. stick around the speed limit(70) and you get really good gas mileage with a geared car..

93TaurusSHO

Established Member
Ok, Today I just looked at a 96 cobra.

Interior looks amazing.. no cracks or anything along those lines. Actually looks brand new. Tires are alright and wheels looked good. Stock wheels I think. Paint is good for a 96 and a missouri car. Has all SVT certificates and receipts.

For performance has Bassani X and Flowmaster exhaust. Also just put in brand new plugs and wires.

The not so great has 150XXX miles... also said hes getting 25 mpg going about 400 miles is when he checked it.

The guy wants $5500... Does that sound like a good deal or not... :shrug:
any response very welcomed!

Sounds alright if the car is in good condidtion. I got my '97 Rio Red Coupe with 29k on her about 2 months ago for $8500. It's REALLY clean. New tires, chip, eibachs, full exhaust. But I think I got lucky. :D

Red_Lightning22

Established Member
I cant wait to test drive it... Im really likeing cobras now adays... I love my Lightning so I dont know how this will turn out.. but I guess first I gota test drive it

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
I'd pay real close attention to the transmission during the test drive. They're probably the single largest complaint everyone has about SN95 Cobras.

+1000

The T45 is a piece of trash compared to almost any manual transmission out there. I had to replace mine on BOTH of the 97's I owned withing weeks of owning them. One only had 35K and it was junk already :bored:

be warned!

deauxt

Established Member
+1000

The T45 is a piece of trash compared to almost any manual transmission out there. I had to replace mine on BOTH of the 97's I owned withing weeks of owning them. One only had 35K and it was junk already :bored:

be warned!

The life of the T45 can also depend on how its driven. Mine is still going strong and the car has 90K miles on it. I'm also making 400rwhp...believe it or not, I'm still on the stock clutch too.:eek: Not saying you are hard on yours, but mine has held up fine.

Last edited:

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
The life of the T45 can also depend on how its driven. Mine is still going strong and the car has 90K miles on it. I'm also making 400rwhp...believe it or not, I'm still on the stock clutch too.:eek: Not saying you are hard on yours, but mine has held up fine.

also depends on how soon you put a good shifter in it. Mine is still good with 195K. There was a Tri-ax in the car when I purchased it with 83K miles 7 yrs ago.

Users who are viewing this thread