Looking at a 2003 Mach1

Raptor05121

I've always loved the SN95 body styles as a kid, and the Mach1/Terminator line was the ultimate. Well with what I am making at work, it brings the used market for the 03/04 Mach1 into reality.

I found a 2003 Oxford White Ford Mustang Mach1, 5-speed, with SVT front bumper and Cobra wheels for sale in Fort Lauderdale (about 7 hour drive for me). It has a few nicks and such, but sticker is $7,999 and I think I could easily talk the lady down. The problem is I am afraid to spend $300 in gas and a day off work to go check it out and it turn out to be a POS.

http://www.driversautomart.com/used-Miami-2003-Ford-Mustang-Premium+Mach+1-1FAFP42R53F453966

The CarFax comes back clean. No damage, no serious maintenance, nada. 4 owners, 128k miles. It looks like the previous owner put on an SVT bumper cover and Cobra wheels.

I want to hear from some of you guys- How are the 4V mod motors when it comes to high mileage? I work 3 days a week, 60 mile round trip, so maybe 12-15,000 miles a year. I have a 1998 F-150 4.2L V6 with over 400,000 miles and its a champ, but are there any weak points that creep up with the high mileage? I found a few forums on what to look out for: pinion seals, valve tap, transmision noise, etc. Anything else?

I can see the hood decal is messed up, but from a quick google search I can buy a new one and replace it. I'm worried about the Shaker hood- at the 12:00 view, it is drooping to the right, and I hear the mounts for them are expensive. Headlights look hazy, its missing the right bezel and right fog lamp, couple scratches on the rear bumper, interior is worn away quite bad (I can always order new switches and a gear shifter, correct?). Its got what looks to be a double-din head unit. I'm not sure how that affects the value. What do you guys think I could offer?

I'm looking for someone in the Ft. Lauderdale area who could stop by and check this out for me before I make the day-long trip down there. Also, does anyone in the state of Florida know round about what I will be paying as far as TTL? I've never bought a vehicle before and this is my first rodeo. Thanks,

-Alex

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the shaker is leaning to the pass side, my first guess would be that it needs motor mounts, unless part of the shaker mount is missing I dont see that being the problem.

the seat bolster wearing away is a common thing and youre gonna find it with any higher mileage mach

with that stereo wire routed so half-assed Id definitely look for other possible crappy work.

i think youve covered it on 4valve specific and just general car things to look out for.

if youre not already on the mach1 registry you might check over there and see if someone knows the car by chance

Raptor05121

I've registered a WEEK ago over there and I'm still waiting on account activation -.-

The motor mounts- about how much do they run? I'm very mechanically inclined, is this a weekend cherry picker job?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya the admin is slow as hell over there...its like they want it to die off

Im really not sure, I did mine in the middle of a build with the engine out and on an aftermarket K member so I dont remember the price or know how hard it might be with a stock k member

Raptor05121

Thanks for the opinions. I found some poly mounts for ~$150. I was envisioning them being more expensive, and some people saying it can be done with a floor jack. What do you think would be a great low-ball for this? Figuring in some light cosmetic problems, maybe engine mounts, and what looks to be almost-bald tires? Sticker is $7,999 but I envision $6500 is more about what I would like, with at least a grand down.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
That's a damn good price.....i would snag it up if it were closer and use it as a daily.

Packerfan88

Established Member
Send them an email I waited weeks as well then after the email boom it was good to go

BME

KING
Established Member
6500 would be a no brainer, but good luck getting them to finance the car for $6500 with only a grand down when their sticker says $9000. Maybe if you had cash then you could squeeze $7500 for it but it seems like a buy here pay here where they won't have any trouble selling it to someone else for 9

Users who are viewing this thread