Looking at a 2001 Cobra but...

98SVTContour98

Established Member
the carfax says there was "severe damage" reported during an October 2015 crash (hit a tree and sign...damage to the right side/right rear/rear/left rear/left front).

Car looks fine - can't tell if the pic below shows body damage (drives fine according to the seller), only has around 45k miles, and the guy is asking $9,950. He said he would definitely ask more but the car fax is killing it's value.

I would be buying the car long distance and having it shipped and was hoping to hear any experience from people on the asking price since it's basically a rebuilt car (though title is still listed as clean).

00909_1naGmkJxKIT_1200x900.jpg

32icon321

Established Member
Price seems pretty high to me for something that has had major body/paintwork.
I was in the market for 2 years for a clean GT or cobra and saw several REALLY clean cobras in the 9-12k range without any accident history.
How long have you been shopping?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

98SVTContour98

Established Member
not too long, just stumbled upon this one. I was hoping to stay around the sn95 price range of $8k (which isn't really feasible for a low mile 01 cobra), which is why this one peaked my interest...I'd buy this one, swap over some parts from my sn95 cobra and sell my sn95.

But the "sever damage" is throwing me off on this one...not sure what to think about that in general, or the price.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
seller claims there was no frame damage and only fender issues, which were all replaced and everything is supposedly good to go now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
not too long, just stumbled upon this one. I was hoping to stay around the sn95 price range of $8k (which isn't really feasible for a low mile 01 cobra), which is why this one peaked my interest...I'd buy this one, swap over some parts from my sn95 cobra and sell my sn95.

But the "sever damage" is throwing me off on this one...not sure what to think about that in general, or the price.

Why do you want to move on from the SN95? It's the sexiest of them all.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Why do you want to move on from the SN95? It's the sexiest of them all.

a combo of more power and newer body style...I like both body styles a lot though....so I guess the option for more power and a slightly newer interior/exterior for a similar price is what got me going.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
a combo of more power and newer body style...I like both body styles a lot though....so I guess the option for more power and a slightly newer interior/exterior for a similar price is what got me going.

Just update your SN 95
Interior is the same minus a different shade, the seats and a double din radio.
Spend the money on some mods for the SN. Boost it!

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I remember driving six hours round trip many year ago to look at a classic with "no rust". I got there and it had rust bubbles in all the notorious places. It was obvious as soon as I walked up to the car.

Point is, I would not buy a car long distance that had been wrecked if I couldn't inspect it first. And whenever you decide to sell it, you'll be fighting the same battle this guy is to get it sold. I'd keep looking. You won't regret it.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Just update your SN 95
Interior is the same minus a different shade, the seats and a double din radio.
Spend the money on some mods for the SN. Boost it!

i've thought about it but $2500 is something I probably couldn't do at the moment.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I remember driving six hours round trip many year ago to look at a classic with "no rust". I got there and it had rust bubbles in all the notorious places. It was obvious as soon as I walked up to the car.

Point is, I would not buy a car long distance that had been wrecked if I couldn't inspect it first. And whenever you decide to sell it, you'll be fighting the same battle this guy is to get it sold. I'd keep looking. You won't regret it.

yeah that's my concern....I'd have it inspected at a dealership - which i've had success with before...but the resale would be a headache.

32icon321

Established Member
What about the “severe damage” throws you off? From your description it sounds like most of the exterior was replaced or repaired.
If we assume there wasn’t any frame damage it would still cost at least 6-10k for the car to have been fixed correctly. OEM body panels, good paint job, etc. which I highly doubt was done.

I looked at two similar cobras local to me that had accident history, neither were repaired correctly. The paint was cheap and the panel gaps were horrifying. Most people/insurance companies won’t drop that kind of coin to fix them.

For price reference one was $7500 (100k miles, clean interior and decent paint) and the other was priced at $8000 (70k miles, horrible paint and body work). One never sold, and the other is still posted.

Keep shopping. Patience pays off. There are some cherrys out there. Or keep saving and get a Terminator. I’ve seen several drop into the 13-14k range

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RX1Cobra

Established Member
That's way too much IMO. If I were selling my car now I'd be happy to get 10 for it. I'm the original owner, no accidents, 63K and it's Eaton swapped. Car has been stored indoors and isn't some clapped out POS. Besides putting on the Eaton and a gear swap the car has never been taken apart.

Oh and it's mineral gray too.

Users who are viewing this thread